ADVERTISEMENT

Our New QB Transfer???

It's not going to work up there. You can't go down the street and get an Adrian Killins Jr. The not so secret about Oregon was that it was hard getting athletes up there.
Remind me again where Nebraska stands in recruiting versus UCF.

You don't have to be in Florida to get good talent. The majority of NC teams and Heisman winners aren't from Florida

The Nebraska football team got some especially bad news on Monday when Tristan Gebbia reportedly asked for his official release.......During his afternoon press conference, head coach Scott Frost made it clear he was a bit surprised.

Given our QB situation, I wonder if we make a play for him or is he not mobile enough for our scheme???
We got better options to come. Once Milton hits his stride under Heup it won't be a problem getting some good talent in here. Why would we want a kid who bombed out playing our system somewhere else anyways? We got greener pastures ahead.

Frost is going to repeat the same process he employed here....until it doesn't work. The difference in year 2 of Milton was impressive. If Verducci is able to repeat his feat in Nobraska, if I was an NFL team, I have to give that guy a serious look at to help some young QBs.

260 yds 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing vs a P5 Maryland means Martinez needs 400 with 4 TDs and 2 rushing against Akron.

No it doesn't. It means Martinez needs 261 yds 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD. That'd be an improvement. So would 260 yds 2 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. There are probably 15 more combinations.

But the point is moot because Maryland was a better team than Akron.

We got better options to come. Once Milton hits his stride under Heup it won't be a problem getting some good talent in here. Why would we want a kid who bombed out playing our system somewhere else anyways?

It's not your system, it's Frost's system. Or actually, Chip Kelly's system. Heupel probably runs the closest thing you'll find outside of Chip Kelly or a Chip Kelly protege, but it's gonna be more like Oklahoma which means less QB runs and I'm assuming no zone read but to be honest I didn't watch any Missouri games last year so I could be full of shit about the last part. All I know is Oklahoma was always a fast team which is why hiring Heupel might've made a lot of sense. Time will tell.

Edit: K I'm not full of shit. Missouri's QB ran for like 20 yards last season. You're not getting the same offense except the pace may be even quicker. Gebbia would probably do better at UCF than he would at Nebraska just based on not being asked to run the ball at all.

It's not your system, it's Frost's system. Or actually, Chip Kelly's system. Heupel probably runs the closest thing you'll find outside of Chip Kelly or a Chip Kelly protege, but it's gonna be more like Oklahoma which means less QB runs and I'm assuming no zone read but to be honest I didn't watch any Missouri games last year so I could be full of shit about the last part. All I know is Oklahoma was always a fast team which is why hiring Heupel might've made a lot of sense. Time will tell.

Husker/Knight fan living in Oklahoma here, can confirm that Heupels offense was hated by OU fans and they were ecstatic to get rid of him; strange when you consider he's the last QB to win an NC for them.

Decent against weak teams, but absolutely nonexistent against quality competition (see 14 points against Baylor and 6 against Clemson).

I think he'll be good for 8-10 wins at UCF, and I hope he does well, but expect the pace to slow from Frosts system and less creativity in play design,

Reactions: ucfast00
No it doesn't. It means Martinez needs 261 yds 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing TD. That'd be an improvement. So would 260 yds 2 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. There are probably 15 more combinations.

CJH runs more of a fun-n-gun Spurrier type offense than a Chip Kelly offense. Actually, kind of a hybrid between Spurrier and Mike Leach without the ridiculous spreads. Its effective, no doubt, and Gebbia would probably be well suited to run it but the chances of him transferring to UCF are less than 1 in 130.

It's not your system, it's Frost's system. Or actually, Chip Kelly's system. Heupel probably runs the closest thing you'll find outside of Chip Kelly or a Chip Kelly protege, but it's gonna be more like Oklahoma which means less QB runs and I'm assuming no zone read but to be honest I didn't watch any Missouri games last year so I could be .

CJH runs more of a fun-n-gun Spurrier type offense than a Chip Kelly offense. Actually, kind of a hybrid between Spurrier and Mike Leach without the ridiculous spreads. Its effective, no doubt, and Gebbia would probably be well suited to run it but the chances of him transferring to UCF are less than 1 in 130.

Edit: K I'm not full of shit. Missouri's QB ran for like 20 yards last season. You're not getting the same offense except the pace may be even quicker. Gebbia would probably do better at UCF than he would at Nebraska just based on not being asked to run the ball at all.

OK jack wad, let me be clear. "Our" system for the last two seasons is the same system you now run. He was not thriving in it, so why would we want him? We'll have a slightly different system now and once Milton (and the team) adjust to it, it won't be a problem finding QB talent that will want to play in it, especially since Milton will have two years to progress in it. Understand that?

BTW, Mizzou's QB had 43 attempts for 111 yards last season (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/drew-lock-1.html). I agree Heup (Mizzou) didn't run the QB a lot. It looks like they run a lot of quick hits, then when the defense cheats up, they bomb it down field. When you have speed and athletes near the sidelines (that can catch as well as block) it can be very productive and/or explosive. There could be a lot of reasons they didn't run the QB a lot. One being they only gave up 13 total sacks (same as UCF). Let's face it, the one big thing the SEC has over most conferences is the talent in the trenches. That said, Milton rushed 106 times for 683 yds (and that would include any negative yardage from his 13 sacks), and throws well out of the pocket and on the move. There will be designed plays for Milton, and some plays just break down and he can make plays with his legs. You just don't bottle up those additional play options and not use them. He's a good enough weapon with his feet and he'll be using them.

Here's a nice breakdown of Milton's 2017 season: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-mckenzie-milton-by-the-pff-numbers

OK jack wad, let me be clear. "Our" system for the last two seasons is the same system you now run. He was not thriving in it, so why would we want him? We'll have a slightly different system now and once Milton (and the team) adjust to it, it won't be a problem finding QB talent that will want to play in it, especially since Milton will have two years to progress in it. Understand that?

BTW, Mizzou's QB had 43 attempts for 111 yards last season (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/drew-lock-1.html). I agree Heup (Mizzou) didn't run the QB a lot. It looks like they run a lot of quick hits, then when the defense cheats up, they bomb it down field. When you have speed and athletes near the sidelines (that can catch as well as block) it can be very productive and/or explosive. There could be a lot of reasons they didn't run the QB a lot. One being they only gave up 13 total sacks (same as UCF). Let's face it, the one big thing the SEC has over most conferences is the talent in the trenches. That said, Milton rushed 106 times for 683 yds (and that would include any negative yardage from his 13 sacks), and throws well out of the pocket and on the move. There will be designed plays for Milton, and some plays just break down and he can make plays with his legs. You just don't bottle up those additional play options and not use them. He's a good enough weapon with his feet and he'll be using them.

Here's a nice breakdown of Milton's 2017 season: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-mckenzie-milton-by-the-pff-numbers

I already understood it, which was obvious from my post. Gebbia would fit better in your current system than he fits in ours, but I thought the prospect of him transferring to UCF was always a silly joke.

I don't think Heupel is dumb enough to not use Milton's legs, but going further (post Milton), your QB isn't going to run it much.

Last edited:

Who wasn't thriving in it?

We'll have a slightly different system now and once Milton (and the team) adjust to it, it won't be a problem finding QB talent that will want to play in it, especially since Milton will have two years to progress in it. Understand that?

Talented QBs weren't exactly flocking to OU or Missouri, so I don't understand that theory.

More likely that Frost is adept at developing QB talent, as evidenced by the 2/3 star recruit Marcus Marriota that he helped win a Heisman. None of Heupels guys have been Heisman level while he was OC.

Talented QBs weren't exactly flocking to OU or Missouri, so I don't understand that theory.

More likely that Frost is adept at developing QB talent, as evidenced by the 2/3 star recruit Marcus Marriota that he helped win a Heisman. None of Heupels guys have been Heisman level while he was OC.
Wasn’t Landry Jones pretty good?

Reactions: Crazyhole
Sorry boys, Gebbia is going to oregon state. Following his old head coach.

Sorry boys, Gebbia is going to oregon state. Following his old head coach.
Good. 3rd team guy at best. He’s tarnished from living in NGEbraska

Dumpster Fire garbage is literally hanging off of him.

Fear the Roo!!! Go Zips!!!

260 yds 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing vs a P5 Maryland means Martinez needs 400 with 4 TDs and 2 rushing against Akron.
Adrian Martinez debut game: Over 300 yards of total offense and 3 touchdowns (should have had a lot more yards and 2 more TD’s that where dropped wide open). But just wanted to kind of revisit this.

I told you he would have a better game and if he can get healthy.... a better freshman year over all. While being in a much stronger conference. Colorado is also better then Maryland. But you guys know that Nebraska dominated Maryland.

Adrian Martinez debut game: Over 300 yards of total offense and 3 touchdowns (should have had a lot more yards and 2 more TD’s that where dropped wide open). But just wanted to kind of revisit this.

I told you he would have a better game and if he can get healthy.... a better freshman year over all. While being in a much stronger conference. Colorado is also better then Maryland. But you guys know that Nebraska dominated Maryland.
So how is Colorado a lot better team? The year we played them they won 6 games. Last year Colorado won 5 games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT