ADVERTISEMENT

Pancakes syrup is racist

Uh oh

0644209793470_CF_hyvee_default_large.jpeg

The less we have black women glorified to the point of using their image on the products we buy, the better. That crap can't be tolerated. Personally, I'm glad none of us have to see a black woman's face on delicious maple syrup anymore.

My parents used to buy that kind of syrup when I was a kid. My wife always buys maple syrup and I would never go back to that corn syrupy garbage. Well, unless I’m drunk at a Waffle House.

The less we have black women glorified to the point of using their image on the products we buy, the better. That crap can't be tolerated. Personally, I'm glad none of us have to see a black woman's face on delicious maple syrup anymore.
I never thought to tie Aunt Jemima to a slave so I had a bit of this same line of thinking. But it really doesn't matter what I think about it, if the company believes that the product will never be removed from it's marketing roots, then I'm all for them changing it.

I do wonder what the end state of the cultural cleansing will look like. Or if there actually is a state at which we can say that we are balanced.

Clearly I don't do the grocery shopping in our household because I would have bet you that the Aunt Jemima brand of syrup bit the dust a long time ago.

When I was growing up it featured a happy-faced Black slave "mammy." I assumed it died a much-needed death in the late 60s along with Little Black Sambo.

More "chipping away" at our culture, right guys? Funny thing. I'm noticing the board's recent racism chatter has attracted some new posters all of a sudden. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Clearly I don't do the grocery shopping in our household because I would have bet you that the Aunt Jemima brand of syrup bit the dust a long time ago.

When I was growing up it featured a happy-faced Black slave "mammy." I assumed it died a much-needed death in the late 60s along with Little Black Sambo.

More "chipping away" at our culture, right guys? Funny thing. I'm noticing the board's recent racism chatter has attracted some new posters all of a sudden. Gee, I wonder why that is?

Thanks for confirming just how old and senile you are.

What if I told you that the mammy picture did go away, long ago, and was replaced by a picture of a woman with styled hair and pearl earrings?

897cfcd7-6576-4ce6-a079-4ab4d68ca287_1.38fcf854718d6700807309cd0fc2788f.jpeg

I never thought to tie Aunt Jemima to a slave so I had a bit of this same line of thinking. But it really doesn't matter what I think about it, if the company believes that the product will never be removed from it's marketing roots, then I'm all for them changing it.

I do wonder what the end state of the cultural cleansing will look like. Or if there actually is a state at which we can say that we are balanced.

They should have just let it go. From a marketing perspective, how do you change the name or advertising of a product without making direct reference to the prior and not expect a loss in market share?

I just want to know who uses enough maple syrup to even know what they have. I have a bottle that I don’t even know if It is expired, what brand It is. Do people actually use that much syrup?

You guys have no clue about the history of some of these labels.
I did a little research. I’m guessing that you saw this on the other board but I’m gonna cross-post anyways. Aunt Jemima was based on a real person, the character was, in fact, based on the very real Nancy Green. Mrs. Green was born into slavery but was not a slave when the brand hired her to be their spokesperson, which she did for 23 years until she died in 1923 at the age of 89. She repped the brand all over, including at launch In 1893 at the World’s Exposition in Chicago.

Shouldn’t the story show how a black woman rose up from slavery in the face of real adversity to be the face of a major American brand that lasted over 100 years, an icon in American society, and that she earned money for a job that she did very well? And that the depiction rightfully changed from one showing her In oppression to one of grace and success? Shouldn’t her story be one of inspiration?

Reactions: DAiello18
I did a little research. I’m guessing that you saw this on the other board but I’m gonna cross-post anyways. Aunt Jemima was based on a real person, the character was, in fact, based on the very real Nancy Green. Mrs. Green was born into slavery but was not a slave when the brand hired her to be their spokesperson, which she did for 23 years until she died in 1923 at the age of 89. She repped the brand all over, including at launch In 1893 at the World’s Exposition in Chicago.

Shouldn’t the story show how a black woman rose up from slavery in the face of real adversity to be the face of a major American brand that lasted over 100 years, an icon in American society, and that she earned money for a job that she did very well? And that the depiction rightfully changed from one showing her In oppression to one of grace and success? Shouldn’t her story be one of inspiration?

I did not know that story. If that’s what happened then I definitely agree that it’s a great story that should be celebrated.

This smells like a marketing campaign. First they say they have to change the labeling, then everybody finds out its an awesome storyline that otherwise wouldn't have been talked about, then change their minds and leave it how it is. The entire time, people are more aware of the "aunt Jemima" brand and it influences buying patterns. Good call.

Aunt Jemima was based on a real person
Wrong.

Aunt Jemima was based on the Mammy archetype of the obedient, Black, overweight slave woman who served as a caregiver to the Master's children.

The woman you're talking about was hired by the company to play the Mammy role, similar to the dude McDonald's hired to play their clown.

If Aunt Jemima, the business, decides their history is racist, why do you have to argue?

Everytime anything is changed for racial reasons its a chud choir of "thats not racist." You mother****ers dont think anything is racist. Im starting to think you have no clue at all what racism is.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Civil war statues
Confederate flag
Aunt Jemima
Washington Redskins
Criminal Justice System

Then back through history chuds have argued that none of this stuff is racist
Redlining
Segregation
White flight
3/5ths compromise

None of this stuff ever seems racist to you but chuds have always been on the wrong side of history with race issues so just trust us, you're not good at identifying racism. If Aunt Jemima says their based on a racial stereotype and wants to change because their brand is associated with a dark time in american history, trust them, theyre right.

If Aunt Jemima, the business, decides their history is racist, why do you have to argue?

Everytime anything is changed for racial reasons its a chud choir of "thats not racist." You mother****ers dont think anything is racist. Im starting to think you have no clue at all what racism is.

You've called black people Uncle Toms, and you think YOU understand what racism is? You're a total shithead.

On the name-calling nasty-meter, I'm guessing "Uncle Tom" is a few levels down from "total shithead."

You've called black people Uncle Toms, and you think YOU understand what racism is? You're a total shithead.
I just searched my entire posting history and ive never made a post that used the words "uncle tom"

Is this just you making shit up or did I forget an instance where this happened?

Is this just you making shit up or did I forget an instance where this happened?
If an instance would have ever surfaced where this term could have been used, 85 is telling us he's positive you would have used it.

(Trust me, this isn't the first time he's used this 'logic' on the board.)

If an instance would have ever surfaced where this term could have been used, 85 is telling us he's positive you would have used it.

(Trust me, this isn't the first time he's used this 'logic' on the board.)
Maybe he dreamed of me going around and calling black people uncle toms.

Aunt Jemima is based on a mammy stereotype. Just because they were able to find a black woman in the 19th century to play that stereotype in exchange for money does not make it less offensive. The logo should have been changed 50 years ago.

Aunt Jemima is based on a mammy stereotype. Just because they were able to find a black woman in the 19th century to play that stereotype in exchange for money does not make it less offensive. The logo should have been changed 50 years ago.

Woops, I forgot it was this guy who was going around calling black people Uncle Toms.

Shook Chicken would surely have supported it though.

The hate is strong with you.

A little more about Nancy Green. She was also one of the founders of the Olivet Baptist Church and dedicated her life to anti-poverty work and equal rights activism. She's enshrined in the Black History Museum in Lexington, Ky. She was not just "some woman they found to play a part." She was a strong woman that had the means to turn the job down at the time but took it and used it to make real positive changes in the world. You're tarnishing her image trying to represent her as a dupe because you have to rewrite history to fit your hateful world view.

Incidentally, you absolutely ignore that they did change the image long ago to represent a strong and aristocratic black woman, the type of image that actually represented the amazing real person that was Nancy Green.

Apparently this will be the next one to go. Nothing says "anti racist" like demanding that even innocuous depictions of black people be removed from logo and marketing usage; we'll soon have homogenously white people on packaging labels. That'll show those white supremacists!

91gxGVhiiwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT