ADVERTISEMENT

Pass defense

ucffan642

Four-Star Recruit
Oct 23, 2015
What is the problem in our secondary? Are they young or did heupel leave us with NO talent? The first 2 games have exposed how terrible they are. Receivers are WIDE open, they don’t know how to tackle and they can’t get off blocks!! Any good team is going to rack up easy yardage and points through the air.

Reactions: Knight59
I know PFF graded our LBs lower than our DBs last season but, in my view, LB didn’t seem worse to me and it's a position a strong DL can make up for. Secondary is something for us to continue to pay attention to going forward.

It’s miles ahead of last year. We were playing off last night to prevent giving up big plays and for the most part it worked. Worked ok vs Boise as well when you consider 14 of their 31 came from the 2 picks.

well the talent they recruited can't be that bad because all these 4 star transfers couldn't beat them out. that actually was my biggest concern because i was hoping they were able to beat them out. i will never understand giving someone a 15 yard cushion when they need 8 yards for a first down though. it's like you're saying the odds of their QB completing that 8 yard pass is lower than our DB getting beat if tighter coverage was played and that makes no sense.

also this knight position doesn't look good at all. bryson is a LB, watching him run in coverage reminded me of that busted coverage against USF where jasinski somehow ended up on the wide receiver. the position didn't look effective in passing situations against boise and not much better against BCU.

What is the problem in our secondary? Are they young or did heupel leave us with NO talent? The first 2 games have exposed how terrible they are. Receivers are WIDE open, they don’t know how to tackle and they can’t get off blocks!! Any good team is going to rack up easy yardage and points through the air.
Our starters are: Sophmore, Sophomore, Sophmore, R Jr (transfer). They are all new starters. Some of these guys got time at the end of last year (Hodges and Thorton) when kids started dropping out to get ready for the NFL draft. They were horrible in those games but they also shouldn't have been out there playing. Now they are starters. You can tell they have a lot to learn because on a lot of plays they are 7-10 yards off the WR....which means the staff is playing "bend, don't break secondary", probably not by choice but necessity. Hopefully they get better as the season progresses but, for example, #14, he never turns his head. He might as well get a NIL deal with the Shand's Burn Victim Center (Shand's Hospital). We have a 4-star DB coming in the next class but I think that is an area of emphasis we still need to fill but who knows what could happen with the transfer portal in play. You can potentially fill holes real quick, and with experience. Marco Domio is in the depth-chart but he is just filling in depth for a year (portal transfer and this is his last season).

Not making excuses. I agree with you. It's the weakest unit out on the field at this time, with LB coming in second. LB is always the toughest unit to make good at the college level because of everything they have to do against the run and pass.

Ha, I get it...that was heupels weekly excuse
The last FCS team we played under Heupel we won 62-0 and they didn’t cross midfield. So I don’t think he was using any excuses at that point.
I just think Hueps reasoning was funny, I mean why would coaches do things you expect? The point is to catch your opponent off guard, so if i was a coach I'd have a plan for every kind of defense/offense, but maybe I'm asking for too much

Patrick Shannon was getting rid of ball fast. That was a big reason we couldn’t sack him. Maybe if we played up on receivers he wouldn’t have had the quick throws available to him. Maybe the coaches didn’t want to give UL usable game film. Don’t know.

I just think Hueps reasoning was funny, I mean why would coaches do things you expect? The point is to catch your opponent off guard, so if i was a coach I'd have a plan for every kind of defense/offense, but maybe I'm asking for too much
Ah yes. Prepare for everything. Sounds simple. They should get you on the payroll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT