ADVERTISEMENT

Penalty for celebration...

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
Just watched a Duke pick 6 and the celebration dance by 5 players and right afterward FSU ran back the kickoff 99 yards with a celebration by them. No penalties on either. WTH are the rules?

OU‘s players also exhibited, “excessive celebration“ after several defensive stops against us and not a single one of them was called. If that rule is going to be enforced, then it needs to be enforced equitably.
Don’t blow kisses.
Had they called it taunting the td would have come back.

They gave you a break. Should have been flagged at the 30. Kind of whiny.

Reactions: B R Knightz2
It was because of the blown kiss to OU's sideline before he scored. We actually caught a break. So glad the refs still allowed the TD.

Reactions: Wings0fred
It was because of the blown kiss to OU's sideline before he scored. We actually caught a break. So glad the refs still allowed the TD.
no, go watch big plays. they celebrate before they score.(extend arms or hands)!It is completely stupid to call back a scoring play for a perceived taunt. was the OU player taunting when he ran laterally on the 1 yard line? Subjectively yes! call back the TD and put them on the 16yd line!

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
no, go watch big plays. they celebrate before they score.(extend arms or hands)!It is completely stupid to call back a scoring play for a perceived taunt. was the OU player taunting when he ran laterally on the 1 yard line? Subjectively yes! call back the TD and put them on the 16yd line!
He blew a kiss to opposing bench or did you think he was looking up at his mom in the stands mid play. He was engaging opponents in a taunt. Then you must also be upset with Oklahoma getting a penalty for celebrating their goal line stop.

It's because he blew the kiss directly to their sideline. Right in front of them.

The dumbest thing is you are doing it in the 2nd quarter in a close game against an obvious good team.

Just like taunting Burrow, all you are doing is trying to piss off the other team and motivate them to crush you.

He makes that play and doesn't do anything and acts like it's no big deal and more to come, then he is going to make opponents start looking at each other thinking they are in trouble.

Reactions: Flstan and KISA
The dumbest thing is you are doing it in the 2nd quarter in a close game against an obvious good team.

Just like taunting Burrow, all you are doing is trying to piss off the other team and motivate them to crush you.

He makes that play and doesn't do anything and acts like it's no big deal and more to come, then he is going to make opponents start looking at each other thinking they are in trouble.
The best advice I ever heard for players is “Act like you’ve been there before.”

Reactions: Psycho Jim
Were you guys watching the same play as me? The flag was thrown in the endzone after Kobe joined Baker and they did the back and forth hand gesture (I think it was supposed to be a firehose extinguishing the student section there?). The ref immediately threw the flag and it was even said personal foul #1 and #2. I think the ref took it as holding guns or something? None of the refs even saw the kiss (or didn't care enough to throw the flag). You can see it being thrown on the telecast as he and Kobe are sweeping their hands back and forth.

P.S. if the movement they were doing is some sort of current popular dance, I plead that I'm too old to keep up with that stuff anymore.

If I was the coach I would have benched anyone who does that crap. Wouldn't play until next game. I don't care how good of a player you are. You aren't that good if you are hurting the team. The Kiss should have been called for sure. I don't agree with that rule, but it is a rule. The endzone celebration to me looked like they were simulating shooting a machine gun. Maybe it was a firehose. Don't know, don't care, sit the bench. I like the NFL where they let the players celebrate. But, again, until changed, the rules are the rules.

Reactions: PositYourself
If I was the coach I would have benched anyone who does that crap. Wouldn't play until next game. I don't care how good of a player you are. You aren't that good if you are hurting the team. The Kiss should have been called for sure. I don't agree with that rule, but it is a rule. The endzone celebration to me looked like they were simulating shooting a machine gun. Maybe it was a firehose. Don't know, don't care, sit the bench. I like the NFL where they let the players celebrate. But, again, until changed, the rules are the rules.
It looked to me like they were spraying the crowd with piss using their big dicks.

LOL. Hinshaw addressed it yesterday in media interview. Saying it was ridiculous and self inflicting and the penalty allowed them to score 3 points on a field goal. Which was the difference maker in scores.

Thus, the lack of discipline is the coach's fault.

Where is George O'leary when you need him... :p

Reactions: UCFsbarro

I don’t think it was the kiss. Ref said after play and 2 of our players were penalized. It was something after the score. Venables was telling reds about the kiss but he wasn’t successful.
Exactly. Had the kiss been called it would have been down at the spot, minus 15 yards, and we probably wouldn't be arguing about the 2-point play that likely wouldn't have happened.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Oh ok I thought the flag was for the kiss. Ridiculous that it was called for the endzone celebration cause don't other kids on other teams do similar things all the time?!

Still think they just decided not to flag the kiss and looked for another reason to flag them in the endzone to not ignore it completely, taking away a touchdown and sending UCF back to around the 45 yard line would be one of the harshest penalties a single player could ever cause for taunting.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Were you guys watching the same play as me? The flag was thrown in the endzone after Kobe joined Baker and they did the back and forth hand gesture (I think it was supposed to be a firehose extinguishing the student section there?). The ref immediately threw the flag and it was even said personal foul #1 and #2. I think the ref took it as holding guns or something? None of the refs even saw the kiss (or didn't care enough to throw the flag). You can see it being thrown on the telecast as he and Kobe are sweeping their hands back and forth.

P.S. if the movement they were doing is some sort of current popular dance, I plead that I'm too old to keep up with that stuff anymore.
Exactly. THIS ^^^^^

This is the first time I have seen this play. It is total BS. Might as well flag Ryan O'Keefe retroactively for the peace sign against Florida.

This qualifies as excessive celebration. Ole Miss pissed this game away.

• Haha
I always wondered whether Otis throwing up the peace sign running free (and O'keefe after him in tribute) should've or could've been a flag under this rule. I think it's a dumb rule. If a player wants to risk being run down or stripped by dancing around or something while the ball is in play then they should be able to do so as long as it isn't crude (i.e. middle finger).

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT