ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele Pre-Season Top 40 - UCF #17

Maybe he's been paying attention long enough at this point to make a good prediction... but I've never thought much about Steele's expertise on UCF. This prediction of 17 is the most optimistic I would be. More likely 30-25 range. Maybe as low as 40.

The talent is there but we'll have to wait and see how it all comes together. Happy to be starting the season with SC State but not happy with having to play Louisville in the 2nd week. I do love Gus, Twill, and the rest of the gang so I hope they're making it happen. Now we need TMo to increase the salary pool to match the upper 1/4 of the new Big 12. Jim Knowles (DC at OKST was making $1.9 million but Twill is making $600 k. I'm sure the rest of the assistants are (relatively) underpaid and we know the staff has fewer numbers than a lot of big time programs.

Maybe he's been paying attention long enough at this point to make a good prediction... but I've never thought much about Steele's expertise on UCF. This prediction of 17 is the most optimistic I would be. More likely 30-25 range. Maybe as low as 40.

The talent is there but we'll have to wait and see how it all comes together. Happy to be starting the season with SC State but not happy with having to play Louisville in the 2nd week. I do love Gus, Twill, and the rest of the gang so I hope they're making it happen. Now we need TMo to increase the salary pool to match the upper 1/4 of the new Big 12. Jim Knowles (DC at OKST was making $1.9 million but Twill is making $600 k. I'm sure the rest of the assistants are (relatively) underpaid and we know the staff has fewer numbers than a lot of big time programs.
Steele has been statistically most reliable for over two decades. I think he does his due dilegence on teams as opposed to espn or athlon who predictably put UsC/Miami/Texas in top 10 annually just to see them fall

Steele has been statistically most reliable for over two decades. I think he does his due dilegence on teams as opposed to espn or athlon who predictably put UsC/Miami/Texas in top 10 annually just to see them fall
As I remember it, I (and others on here) talked trash about him 2-3 years ago.

It's not that they're lazy, it's just that you have to sell preseason magazines and early season games. Maximum early season ROI is fooling those huge fanbases into thinking their team is super awesome regardless of the truth. Then you adjust to the hotter teams and pull in the casual fans.

He seems to be the most accurate preseason wise. He actually visits the schools and talks to coaches. Gets a good feel on newcomers plus watches film for returners.

It's not that they're lazy, it's just that you have to sell preseason magazines and early season games. Maximum early season ROI is fooling those huge fanbases into thinking their team is super awesome regardless of the truth. Then you adjust to the hotter teams and pull in the casual fans.
Edit you are forced to adjust to the hotter teams to keep your credibility.

Phill Steele's 2022 Preseason Top 40

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Georgia
4 Clemson
5 Michigan
6 Utah
7 Notre Dame
8 Oklahoma
9 Texas A&M
10 Oregon
11 Pitt
12 Miami
13 NC State
14 Baylor
15 Oklahoma State
16 USC
17 UCF
18 Texas
19 Wisconsin
20 Iowa
21 UAB
22 Penn State
23 Michigan State
24 Wake Forest
25 Cincinnati
26 BYU
27 Tennessee
28 UCLA
29 Air Force
30 Ole Miss
31 Boise State
32 Florida
33 Louisville
34 Houston
35 Kentucky
36 Arkansas
37 Minnesota
38 Kansas State
39 Appalachian State
40 Fresno State

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Georgia
4 Clemson
5 Michigan
6 Utah
7 Notre Dame
8 Oklahoma
9 Texas A&M
10 Oregon
11 Pitt
12 Miami
13 NC State
14 Baylor
15 Oklahoma State
16 USC
17 UCF
18 Texas
19 Wisconsin
20 Iowa
21 UAB
22 Penn State
23 Michigan State
24 Wake Forest
25 Cincinnati
26 BYU
27 Tennessee
28 UCLA
29 Air Force
30 Ole Miss
31 Boise State
32 Florida
33 Louisville
34 Houston
35 Kentucky
36 Arkansas
37 Minnesota
38 Kansas State
39 Appalachian State
40 Fresno State
Thats 7 future B12 teams in the top 40 (not counting tex/ou)…if we do land oregon theres 8

1 Alabama
2 Ohio State
3 Georgia
4 Clemson
5 Michigan
6 Utah
7 Notre Dame
8 Oklahoma
9 Texas A&M
10 Oregon
11 Pitt