ADVERTISEMENT

Price tag for SDSU stadium

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
$250 million for a 35,000 seat stadium. It came in about $100 million more than they thought. Not a fully concrete stadium. Mix of metal and concrete. SDCCU Stadium (formally home of the chargers) Due to shut down at the end of this year. I tell you what, UCF built the OCS at the right time. No way we pull it off now. At this rate no way USF gets a stadium done for less than this.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-stadium-details-drawings-20171130-story.html

$250 million for a 35,000 seat stadium. It came in about $100 million more than they thought. Not a fully concrete stadium. Mix of metal and concrete. SDCCU Stadium (formally home of the chargers) Due to shut down at the end of this year. I tell you what, UCF built the OCS at the right time. No way we pull it off now. At this rate no way USF gets a stadium done for less than this.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-stadium-details-drawings-20171130-story.html
Totally! Timing was everything for us!

San Diego is the perfect city.

That is a nice project. Rooting for them to get it done and put a death nail in Boise State being the Top G5 Program out West.

Reactions: Raynman
San Diego is the perfect city.

That is a nice project. Rooting for them to get it done and put a death nail in Boise State being the Top G5 Program out West.

It looks like they have a chance to attract some professional sports teams to help defray some of the debt service, but the debt service on $250,000,000 has to be close to 15 million a year. I think the debt service on our bonds even after they restructured and added some debt is about 2.3 million, and I can't see their stadium generating much more revenue than ours. How the would the money be made up?

It looks like they have a chance to attract some professional sports teams to help defray some of the debt service, but the debt service on $250,000,000 has to be close to 15 million a year. I think the debt service on our bonds even after they restructured and added some debt is about 2.3 million, and I can't see their stadium generating much more revenue than ours. How the would the money be made up?
What professional teams want to play in a 35K football stadium?

What made UCF Building Spectrum Stadium so remarkable...remember, at the VERY SAME TIME, UCF was building the CFE Arena...which officially opened up 6 days prior to Spectrum Stadium's first ever game.

No other school in the last 70 plus years had attempted to build s good size on-campus arena and on-campus stadium AT THE SAME TIME...yet it was "little" UCF, who had just moved to CUSA from MAC Football and ASUN Olympic Sports, that not only finished off both projects, on-time and under budget.

That truly was an amazing fest and something all Knights should be proud of.

What professional teams want to play in a 35K football stadium?

San Diego just got an AAF Team...as that.league "could" make it... especially if legalized sports betting takes off. (Football is easily the most popular sport people bet on...around 73% of all bets vs the rest of sports combined).

That size stadium would be good for the AAF Team and maybe a future MLS Team too.

I would love to raid the MWC and add 4 western teams (with BYU as an affiliate) to the AAC, permanently crippling any chance of the MWC taking the NY6 bowl. Colorado State, Air Force, UNLV and San Diego State. Denver, Las Vegas and San Diego, all easy locations to fly to.

East:
UConn
Temple
ECU
Cincinnati
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane

West:
Navy
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Colorado State
AIr Force
UNLV
San Diego State

I would think CA construction prices are way higher than they would be in FL. That being said, USF can keep saying they are waiting for their perfect stadium, meanwhile we'll all be dead by the time they actually get one, if ever.

I would love to raid the MWC and add 4 western teams (with BYU as an affiliate) to the AAC, permanently crippling any chance of the MWC taking the NY6 bowl. Colorado State, Air Force, UNLV and San Diego State. Denver, Las Vegas and San Diego, all easy locations to fly to.

East:
UConn
Temple
ECU
Cincinnati
USF
UCF
Memphis
Tulane

West:
Navy
Tulsa
Houston
SMU
Colorado State
AIr Force
UNLV
San Diego State
Switch Tulane and Navy and it'd be pretty good.

I would think CA construction prices are way higher than they would be in FL. That being said, USF can keep saying they are waiting for their perfect stadium, meanwhile we'll all be dead by the time they actually get one, if ever.
Maybe the Cows will have 1-2 Conference Divisional Titles by then as well?

Switch Tulane and Navy and it'd be pretty good.
I think that Navy wanted to be in the west for recruiting Texas. They'll probably still want to stay with Air Force and for trips to San Diego.

San Diego just got an AAF Team...as that.league "could" make it... especially if legalized sports betting takes off. (Football is easily the most popular sport people bet on...around 73% of all bets vs the rest of sports combined).

That size stadium would be good for the AAF Team and maybe a future MLS Team too.
I doubt AAF lasts more than 5 years. People want a break from football so will only watch NFL and College. Over saturation kills a lot of things and ideas. MLS team should want their own stadium. Even though MLS is to soccer what China is to basketball.

If I still lived in Oviedo, I'd love to have season tickets. But since I'm in Birmingham, I'm going to make a couple of Atlanta and maybe even some Memphis games.

I'm definitely going to watch spring ball. I hope they keep costs under control. I love seeing players hungry. I also like the lack of place kickers. Hopefully this will keep injuries down.

The longer they wait the more expensive it becomes. Remember how everyone was amazed at the University of Minnesota spending $303 million in 2006-2009? It was a top of the line 50,000 seat stadium. But now to build it it would probably cost close to $400 million today. If we were sitting still playing at the Citrus Bowl I don't think we could, in good conscience commit to building an OCS unless we got invited to a new conference.

Reactions: Knight Strength
True but USF's cost of one will add up bc there is a good chance they would have to buy land & other challenges UCF does not have.

The UCF founders were brilliant obtaining so much land. We could build a brand new OCS in another spot On Campus without much issue.

I'm more worried that expanding to 65K with an upperdeck will cost more than the first 45K.
When we start consistently selling out 48,000 I will then worry about 65,000. Besides, the trend appears to be 35,000-50,000 seat stadiums for even the P5. Minnesota's is 50k. We can get 48k in our stadium. I think we are good for a while.

When we start consistently selling out 48,000 I will then worry about 65,000. Besides, the trend appears to be 35,000-50,000 seat stadiums for even the P5. Minnesota's is 50k. We can get 48k in our stadium. I think we are good for a while.
I was thinking from the standpoint of a Big 12 or other P5 invite, as we said we'd expand our deck.

The biggest complaint P5 fanboys make about home'n home with UCF is that UCF couldn't offer them enough seats for their fans at the current Spectrum Stadium. It's a complaint that only applies if UCF can actually schedule any P5 teams at all to visit. And that would only be the case if we get a P5 invite.

Hence why question ... how much will it cost us to do so, if and when it happens?

I'm more worried that expanding to 65K with an upperdeck will cost more than the first 45K.

Removal of all of those bleacherseats at Spectrum, actual seat capacity is around 42,200.

Does no one see or care about the future trend of football in America?i bet we never expand our stadium bc when the time comes to do it less athletes will be playing and more spectators will be turned off bc of health concerns

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Does no one see or care about the future trend of football in America?i bet we never expand our stadium bc when the time comes to do it less athletes will be playing and more spectators will be turned off bc of health concerns
The only sport that can overtake popularity in US in next 20 years is basketball. Soccer is way too far behind now. Baseball has been in steady decline since mid 80s when it was most popular sport while basketball has been upticking. Football is here to stay for at least 20 more years.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Ha, yea we all see those issues man. A lot of people don't think anything will change. I think there will have to be changes in order to keep football profitable.

I also see the "student loan bubble" making problems for higher education and making college football more difficult to justify in the future.

Removal of all of those bleacherseats at Spectrum, actual seat capacity is around 42,200.
if UCF did an upgrade I'd still leave the student sections endzones bleachers and have the rest of the stadium have seats
I used to think it was too big to fail but after the last few years I agree with you that the Sport could be in trouble. I also think that in general the next generation coming up just doesn't have the same loyalty to sports as older ones, you see it in the declining student sections even at SEC winning programs at the heart of the support for college football.

Ha, yea we all see those issues man. A lot of people don't think anything will change. I think there will have to be changes in order to keep football profitable.

I also see the "student loan bubble" making problems for higher education and making college football more difficult to justify in the future.
This is where @UCFProf would have said something about UCF students paying a ridiculous amount in student fees to supplement athletics. RIP

if UCF did an upgrade I'd still leave the student sections endzones bleachers and have the rest of the stadium have seats

I used to think it was too big to fail but after the last few years I agree with you that the Sport could be in trouble. I also think that in general the next generation coming up just doesn't have the same loyalty to sports as older ones, you see it in the declining student sections even at SEC winning programs at the heart of the support for college football.
I don’t think attendance is a good gauge in popularity of any sport now. Technology has made going to games not as important. TV deals are huge because of that. People like being at home or friends house and watching on the 60”. Most people won’t go to games unless it’s a cant miss atmosphere type game. Why sit in 90 degree heat, wait in long lines for bathrooms and pay on average $100 a game per person between gas, ticket and food plus lodging when you can sit in AC and drink plus eat a lot cheaper.

Are we sure that he’s dead?
I’m pretty sure. He always talked about watching the old UCLA teams. He had to be in 70s or older. You don’t go to a forum every day for 10 years and then just stop unless you die. Wondering if anyone knows his real name. People insinuated they knew who he was but never said a name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT