ADVERTISEMENT

QB regression

Guinness_Knight

Five-Star Recruit
Oct 19, 2009
The last 4 games have not been good to say the least.

Watching these other bowl games, I keep seeing play after play where the qbs are making routine passing plays that we don’t.

Things like: defensive pressure > slide to open space> reset> make throw to receiver.

This is a huge problem for our program. I’d feel better if our HC made it a priority, but I’m really concerned he’s not.

get use to it. gus had his best year as a coach with a former georgia corner (and future NFL corner) playing QB. the man bought into his play calling genius when he was able to make it to the national championship game with nick marshall. watching auburn's offense during his time there was bad enough, now i have to see an even worse version up close.

Arkansas and Kansas QBs both looked great. I’d rather have a great QB and terrible defense. You have a chance to win every game. Now if we go down 17 points we probably lose.

Reactions: Knight59

Watching these other bowl games, I keep seeing play after play where the qbs are making routine passing plays that we don’t.

Things like: defensive pressure > slide to open space> reset> make throw to receiver.

This is a huge problem for our program. I’d feel better if our HC made it a priority, but I’m really concerned he’s not.
Major concern. Everything about college football starts and ends with the QB position.

Every bowl game but UCF’s has been enjoyable
to watch

fun finish to this San Diego Bowl between UNC and Oregon
UNC…another program in free-fall. Losing 5 games in a row to end the season, after starting 9-0. I think they have a decent QB as well….wink, wink.

What you are seeing is Gus Malzahn's offense and the prototype QB he wants running it.
Get used to it.

Reactions: 90Knight
Plumlee was injured, limiting his most useful asset, forcing him to play to his weaknesses. Plumlee didn’t all of a sudden become a bad passer with poor pocket presence. He was just able to mask these deficiencies with superior athleticism when healthy. It’s not hard to figure out.

Even Saban evolved. I’m not sure why Gus doesn’t look around and see what the game is today.
Saban recruits. It overcomes any deficiencies him and his endless number of staff/analysts have. Let's see Saban go to Maryland and be anywhere near as successful.

Definitely going into a regroup phase on this team where we need to utilize the talent on the freshmen and sophomore classes more as we go into the Big 12. Need to be honest about who has the talent to play in the Big 12.

This starts at the QB position:
Plumlee staring down his receivers so obvious that lineman easily block his passes.
Doesn't hang in the pocket enough to throw the ball to a WR or away if nobody is open.
When he runs on teams that have speed and spies they are waiting on him.
Doesn't seem to through to the spot like on quick routes and always needs to see the
receiver open before throwing the ball. I think this is why some of our WRs are getting
frustrated because they run good routes but the ball never gets there or gives them
a chance for battling for the ball.

RB and QB Position:
Hold the ball high and tight when running. There's no way a defender can swipe the ball
free from behind or side when holding it high and tight. Turnovers were killing us this
year with fumbles. It seems some RBs were benched over fumbles. Teach them this
simple technique to use, please.

Play calling regrouping?
Lastly, Gus needs more receivers out there on passing plays. It seems like all his backfield
gymnastics may be sacrificing his ability to stretch the defensive backfield with many
WRs attacking an area of the defensive backfield?

Definitely going into a regroup phase on this team where we need to utilize the talent on the freshmen and sophomore classes more as we go into the Big 12. Need to be honest about who has the talent to play in the Big 12.

This starts at the QB position:
Plumlee staring down his receivers so obvious that lineman easily block his passes.
Doesn't hang in the pocket enough to throw the ball to a WR or away if nobody is open.
When he runs on teams that have speed and spies they are waiting on him.
Doesn't seem to through to the spot like on quick routes and always needs to see the
receiver open before throwing the ball. I think this is why some of our WRs are getting
frustrated because they run good routes but the ball never gets there or gives them
a chance for battling for the ball.

RB and QB Position:
Hold the ball high and tight when running. There's no way a defender can swipe the ball
free from behind or side when holding it high and tight. Turnovers were killing us this
year with fumbles. It seems some RBs were benched over fumbles. Teach them this
simple technique to use, please.

Play calling regrouping?
Lastly, Gus needs more receivers out there on passing plays. It seems like all his backfield
gymnastics may be sacrificing his ability to stretch the defensive backfield with many
WRs attacking an area of the defensive backfield?
I like the last comments about play calling. Some of that has got to be confidence in the QB being able to pick apart the defense. Some of it has to do with Plumlee being such an integral part of the run game. We did less motion when Mikey was playing and did appear to attack the defense more. People say Gus doesn't change but we definitely had a different philosophy when Plumlee played versus Keene (the difference between a runner and a pocket passer).

We also have a position called TE. The TE position only had 29 catches last season. It needs to be utilized more. I know some of that may be due to the OL not being great but that's an average of about 2 catches per game. I mean, we got a 3-star TE coming in (and this kind of talent should be the norm moving forward). Kemore Gamble was completely wasted. The year before at Florida he had 31 catches for 414 yards and 4 TDs. The 31 catches was a big step up from the year before. He was ready to be utilized in at least the same capacity, if not more. When he transferred here I was assuming it was because we wanted to use the TE position to stretch and attack the defense. Instead the guy has 7 catches for 118 yards. Like you said, the position needs to be used to keep the defense honest, at a minimum. Right now it's used for primarily blocking for the run game.

I like the last comments about play calling. Some of that has got to be confidence in the QB being able to pick apart the defense. Some of it has to do with Plumlee being such an integral part of the run game. We did less motion when Mikey was playing and did appear to attack the defense more. People say Gus doesn't change but we definitely had a different philosophy when Plumlee played versus Keene (the difference between a runner and a pocket passer).

We also have a position called TE. The TE position only had 29 catches last season. It needs to be utilized more. I know some of that may be due to the OL not being great but that's an average of about 2 catches per game. I mean, we got a 3-star TE coming in (and this kind of talent should be the norm moving forward). Kemore Gamble was completely wasted. The year before at Florida he had 31 catches for 414 yards and 4 TDs. The 31 catches was a big step up from the year before. He was ready to be utilized in at least the same capacity, if not more. When he transferred here I was assuming it was because we wanted to use the TE position to stretch and attack the defense. Instead the guy has 7 catches for 118 yards. Like you said, the position needs to be used to keep the defense honest, at a minimum. Right now it's used for primarily blocking for the run game.

Most of Gamble's production was really early in this season, if I recall. Weird. Was wondering if he was hurt. I saw very late in the game yesterday Gus was yelling at him to get on the field, it looked like he wasn't ready to go in and Gus looked furious, the play was designed to throw up to him as the #1 read in the redzone (JRP never took his eyes off him) and it wasn't even close to working out falling incomplete. Sad summary of the whole day.

Neither Plumlee nor Mikey was the answer going forward. They were simply stopgap QB's. As for the last 2 games Plumlee has not been what he was early in the year. I didn't watch yesterday's game but in championship he clearly couldn't run, or even move quickly. I assume he was far from 100% 3 weeks later. His running stats seem to say that is correct.

I said a week or 2 ago it was going to be a long offseason if we lost. It’s worse than I imagined. Everyone on every platform going in on Gus. He better have a flashy OC hire that brings a QB with him.

Neither Plumlee nor Mikey was the answer going forward. They were simply stopgap QB's. As for the last 2 games Plumlee has not been what he was early in the year. I didn't watch yesterday's game but in championship he clearly couldn't run, or even move quickly. I assume he was far from 100% 3 weeks later. His running stats seem to say that is correct.
Not correct. He was sacked 7 times or so. Add about 40 yards to his total. He had 50 or 60 yards. He ran one for 20-30 by itself. He could have ran more. He didn’t.

Qb position should be up for grabs next season, no question. JRP had his chance and has not improved over the course of the season. Really wished TC would have gotten some reps yesterday.

Watching that game i thought to myself: This Bo Nix guy can sling it, why didnt he do well at Auburn?
I thought the same thing. It’s a so incredible how similar Nix and Plumlee look on film: mechanically, feet, mannerism, build. When you watch Nix, you can clearly see what UCF is at least trying to do with JRP.

I think Nix might have the stronger arm of the two, and Plumlee more breakaway speed. But definitely so similar.

Which is sad in a way, since Nix is thriving now - because he’s far away from Malzahn’s offense (to be fair, his numbers last year at Auburn without Malzahn weren’t much better than with him, and he’s older/more mature now than when he was with Gus).

Reactions: Yaes and Wings0fred
Qb position should be up for grabs next season, no question. JRP had his chance and has not improved over the course of the season. Really wished TC would have gotten some reps yesterday.
Yeah, I can’t believe TC didn’t get in. Pretty unbelievable for a game that meant very little.

I took JRP playing the whole way as an early audition for next season, give him every opportunity to show any kind of improvement heading into 2023. Failing to do that (for me) means the competition at that spot is now wide open.

Which is sad in a way, since Nix is thriving now - because he’s far away from Malzahn’s offense (to be fair, his numbers last year at Auburn without Malzahn weren’t much better than with him, and he’s older/more mature now than when he was with Gus).

Nix thrived with Kenny Dillingham as his QB coach. That was true in 2019 and 2022. Without Dillingham, Nix was a shell of himself. That is why this UCF OC hire is so important.

I won't disrespect Nix by comparing JRP to him in any way. The two aren't in the same Stratosphere.

Having good receivers doesn't do much if you can't find them and then deliver the ball accurately. It is hard to accept as a fan when you are used to a great passing game. We need a legitimate qb competition or hit the portal early.

Having good receivers doesn't do much if you can't find them and then deliver the ball accurately. It is hard to accept as a fan when you are used to a great passing game. We need a legitimate qb competition or hit the portal early.
Even on the 37 yd completion Javon Baker was upset bc he had his guy beat deep and the ball was severely underthrown

Even on the 37 yd completion Javon Baker was upset bc he had his guy beat deep and the ball was severely underthrown
This is troubling when evaluating Gus…

I’d assume looking at tape throughout the year, there were wrs wide open a significant amount of time.

Why on earth would you stick with a qb that can’t routinely get the ball to your wrs?

I can only imagine the frustration as a wr who beats their man only to not have the ball thrown their way…or when it’s finally thrown…it’s not where it needs to be.

Sorry, it just struck me as funny.....this guy needs a nickname or something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT