ADVERTISEMENT

QB regression

I like the last comments about play calling. Some of that has got to be confidence in the QB being able to pick apart the defense. Some of it has to do with Plumlee being such an integral part of the run game. We did less motion when Mikey was playing and did appear to attack the defense more. People say Gus doesn't change but we definitely had a different philosophy when Plumlee played versus Keene (the difference between a runner and a pocket passer).

We also have a position called TE. The TE position only had 29 catches last season. It needs to be utilized more. I know some of that may be due to the OL not being great but that's an average of about 2 catches per game. I mean, we got a 3-star TE coming in (and this kind of talent should be the norm moving forward). Kemore Gamble was completely wasted. The year before at Florida he had 31 catches for 414 yards and 4 TDs. The 31 catches was a big step up from the year before. He was ready to be utilized in at least the same capacity, if not more. When he transferred here I was assuming it was because we wanted to use the TE position to stretch and attack the defense. Instead the guy has 7 catches for 118 yards. Like you said, the position needs to be used to keep the defense honest, at a minimum. Right now it's used for primarily blocking for the run game.
Funny, I was yelling during the game at the Tv for Gus to pass the ball to his TE on 3-4 yards to gain 3rd downs. Whatever happened to UF transfer Gamble this season? Must blame someone for not using him.

Sorry, it just struck me as funny.....this guy needs a nickname or something.
Happy Timmy GIF by South Park

Neither Plumlee nor Mikey was the answer going forward. They were simply stopgap QB's. As for the last 2 games Plumlee has not been what he was early in the year. I didn't watch yesterday's game but in championship he clearly couldn't run, or even move quickly. I assume he was far from 100% 3 weeks later. His running stats seem to say that is correct.
I think this observation is key for taking stock of where we are at. We aren't that far off and a hybrid of Mikey and JRP at QB would make a big difference for us moving forward. The players experienced the limits of where this team reached. We even beat Tulane once who beat USC in their bowl game but when people focus on JRP our offense stalls.

Most of us are spoiled by KZ days and would love more of this play making and play calling.
Just changing the HC would be a step back in my opinion at this point. Let's see where we are at after one year in the Big 12 and having more (4) quality scholarship QBs.

What you are seeing is Gus Malzahn's offense and the prototype QB he wants running it.
Get used to it.
Yes…Gus wants to run to set up the pass. He wants to limit turnovers by running the ball. He then throws screen passes which is an extension of his running game …..hoping for a missed tackle or a good block springing a big play.

He Doesn’t like to throw over the middle or deep as he doesn’t trust his QBs to read defenses and avoid interceptions. He’s an old school coach who believes in running the ball first with a read option running QB looking to run first.

The days of Frost and Heuple’s slinging the ball passing and UCFast are gone. This is also what our AD believes an offense should look like.

Yes…Gus wants to run to set up the pass. He wants to limit turnovers by running the ball. He then throws screen passes which is an extension of his running game …..hoping for a missed tackle or a good block springing a big play.

He Doesn’t like to throw over the middle or deep as he doesn’t trust his QBs to read defenses and avoid interceptions. He’s an old school coach who believes in running the ball first with a read option running QB looking to run first.

The days of Frost and Heuple’s slinging the ball passing and UCFast are gone. This is also what our AD believes an offense should look like.
JRP fumbled. If you can’t throw because you might throw an interception and you fumble when you run, you shouldn’t be the starting QB.

JRP fumbled. If you can’t throw because you might throw an interception and you fumble when you run, you shouldn’t be the starting QB.
I would love to have a QB who doesn’t fumble or throw any interceptions….unfortunately they all have and do from time to time….apparently Gus thinks JRP was his best QB and I think he’ll be starting again next year…only way that changes is if JRP is losing games…Gus seems to love JRP and favors him.

Correct so expect nothing to change and if you're into this type of one dimensional offense that does not take much to trip up enjoy it.

Reactions: Knight59
Definitely going into a regroup phase on this team where we need to utilize the talent on the freshmen and sophomore classes more as we go into the Big 12. Need to be honest about who has the talent to play in the Big 12.

This starts at the QB position:
Plumlee staring down his receivers so obvious that lineman easily block his passes.
Doesn't hang in the pocket enough to throw the ball to a WR or away if nobody is open.
When he runs on teams that have speed and spies they are waiting on him.
Doesn't seem to through to the spot like on quick routes and always needs to see the
receiver open before throwing the ball. I think this is why some of our WRs are getting
frustrated because they run good routes but the ball never gets there or gives them
a chance for battling for the ball.

RB and QB Position:
Hold the ball high and tight when running. There's no way a defender can swipe the ball
free from behind or side when holding it high and tight. Turnovers were killing us this
year with fumbles. It seems some RBs were benched over fumbles. Teach them this
simple technique to use, please.

Play calling regrouping?
Lastly, Gus needs more receivers out there on passing plays. It seems like all his backfield
gymnastics may be sacrificing his ability to stretch the defensive backfield with many
WRs attacking an area of the defensive backfield?
Agreed on all points. Well said.

I think we easily forget Frost ran the ball a lot. He was about quick passes to get players into space so they could make something happen.

I hope Hinshaw will design an offense that will play to our guys' strengths otherwise we're in for a long season next year.

Was watching some MM highlights the other day, and they showed that late pitch es to Killins after Milton was already past the line of scrimmage a few times. Big results each time.

No reason JP couldn’t do that with a trailing Richardson.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Was watching some MM highlights the other day, and they showed that late pitch es to Killins after Milton was already past the line of scrimmage a few times. Big results each time.

No reason JP couldn’t do that with a trailing Richardson.
Watch JRP closely, he still has to learn how to distribute the ball. He has difficulty adjusting when he goes through his progressions and when he decides to run, he has tunnel vision with one goal in mind, to score. And that's good if he has gone through/used up his options but that's not usually the case. The fact is that instead of playing baseball he needs to learn how to distribute the ball and then practice it over and over and over. That's how far behind he is in understanding distribution. If he doesn't then our new OC has to train one or more of our other QB's and may the best man win the job. Watching Stetson Bennet put on a show this week, it's time for JRP to get serious about being a top-notch college QB (JRP, this isn't HS anymore) or find someone who is.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Well he won’t have time to get serious about QB with baseball starting soon.

Watch JRP closely, he still has to learn how to distribute the ball. He has difficulty adjusting when he goes through his progressions and when he decides to run, he has tunnel vision with one goal in mind, to score. And that's good if he has gone through/used up his options but that's not usually the case. The fact is that instead of playing baseball he needs to learn how to distribute the ball and then practice it over and over and over. That's how far behind he is in understanding distribution. If he doesn't then our new OC has to train one or more of our other QB's and may the best man win the job. Watching Stetson Bennet put on a show this week, it's time for JRP to get serious about being a top-notch college QB (JRP, this isn't HS anymore) or find someone who is.
How can he play in the outfield if he never hits the cutoff man?

Reactions: PositYourself
How can he play in the outfield if he never hits the cutoff man?
He'll run the ball in himself.

Ps it's a million times easier to hit a stationary, single target, non moving cutoffman than having several options running full speed, in various directions, between several defenders.

• Haha
Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1

Good, Lord, I hope not!

JRP played his last football game on 12/28/22. We all witnessed his less than stellar performance. He played an entire season, minus injuries, as the starter, with no noticeable improvement in controlling a game. He will not practice football again until 08/06/23. Will one of his cheerleaders PLEASE explain how he’s supposed to improve from his status as a mediocre G5 starter to becoming the starter on a P5 team? Playing baseball will not improve his inability to hit an open receiver or to pickup a blitz. Argue all you want but he’s not a P5 starter. Ask Lane Kiffin. Gus and JRP think it’s no big deal if he skips spring practice. Again, show me any competitive P5 program that’s allowing their starter to skip spring practices. It’s not how you develop a winning P5 program. The fans and his teammates are going to suffer because of Gus’ obstinance and blind loyalty.

JRP played his last football game on 12/28/22. We all witnessed his less than stellar performance. He played an entire season, minus injuries, as the starter, with no noticeable improvement in controlling a game. He will not practice football again until 08/06/23. Will one of his cheerleaders PLEASE explain how he’s supposed to improve from his status as a mediocre G5 starter to becoming the starter on a P5 team? Playing baseball will not improve his inability to hit an open receiver or to pickup a blitz. Argue all you want but he’s not a P5 starter. Ask Lane Kiffin. Gus and JRP think it’s no big deal if he skips spring practice. Again, show me any competitive P5 program that’s allowing their starter to skip spring practices. It’s not how you develop a winning P5 program. The fans and his teammates are going to suffer because of Gus’ obstinance and blind loyalty.
Realistically, Gus fullfilled any "obligation" he had to JRP this year. He got his chance. Next year our QB has to earn the job and show up fully prepared to win FB games.

I think we easily forget Frost ran the ball a lot. He was about quick passes to get players into space so they could make something happen.

I hope Hinshaw will design an offense that will play to our guys' strengths otherwise we're in for a long season next year.
We ran the ball a ton under both Frost and Heup. Successful teams successfully run the ball.

Reactions: muckdawg24
Good, Lord, I hope not!
😄 Well, that’s what he’s done in the past, but maybe things will change. I can only think and hope that Hinshaw will go back to his roots and run a Mike Krucek like offense if it’s up to him.

After all, that offense is what he grew up on as a player and he must believe in it as he had success running it ….and it was a prolific and fun offense to watch. Krucek’s offenses always moved the ball down the field running and passing. If Hinshaw is allowed to be that type of play caller and we have players (QB) who can execute it, this offense will be fun to watch.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT