ADVERTISEMENT

Question for sysadmin and Network Admins

omg_jk

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2008
Im currently a Systems Analyst at local hospital in Naples FL. I'm always looking to further my career but I'm at a block in terms of my training and experience. I have 6+ years of desktop support at Apple but don't have any formal training in networking or systems administration.

I know there is a lot of online training through Udemy, Lynda, and a plethora of others and there's also the in-class training from boot camps. But there is also a masters program at FIU I'm thinking about as well.

My question is if I'm looking for management positions in the future should I go with the more technical certifications or the MIS route?

If you are interested in staying in the system/network admin field, I'd look into AWS certification. Everything is going cloud/datacenter and Amazon has pretty much won the war.

If you are looking to get a degree, dont bother with a masters, just get a basic IT/MIS. No need to waste money and time on a degree that really wont help you that much more than a standard.

Piggybacking on this thread: IT seems to be more cert driven than degree driven. Is that still true? Perhaps look into a PMP cert for IT project management as well?

Piggybacking on this thread: IT seems to be more cert driven than degree driven. Is that still true? Perhaps look into a PMP cert for IT project management as well?

It does seems to be very cert driven. IT is a strange industry when it comes to the education.

I agree with the AWS training though.

It does seems to be very cert driven. IT is a strange industry when it comes to the education.

I agree with the AWS training though.
Interesting. I've been considering a pivot towards Cyber Security and doing some light studying on the side. I haven't committed 100% yet but I'm curious to hear from those in the industry how they see the landscape evolving.

Interesting. I've been considering a pivot towards Cyber Security and doing some light studying on the side. I haven't committed 100% yet but I'm curious to hear from those in the industry how they see the landscape evolving.
I think security is the way to go for the future.

Reactions: fabknight

If you want to be an analyst or mid management your whole career, go chase certs as goals

If you want to be senior management or an executive, go get consulting experience and do certs for fun

Reactions: omg_jk
If you want to be an analyst or mid management your whole career, go chase certs as goals

If you want to be senior management or an executive, go get consulting experience and do certs for fun
Sounds about right for most technical fields. But for someone entering the field, wouldn't the certs open the door to the relevant experience necessary to even consider consulting?

Sounds about right for most technical fields. But for someone entering the field, wouldn't the certs open the door to the relevant experience necessary to even consider consulting?

Depends on educational pedigree and stature of entry level employer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT