ADVERTISEMENT

Raising Min Wage to $15

If I can make $15 per hour at Burger King, I am closing my business. Between the general economy, and what the County and cities have loaded us with regulation wise, I am making no where near that any more.

Reactions: jetsaholic
When all the big businesses are paying $15 an hour the small business won't be able to afford to keep up and will have to close. The large corporations will gain even more power and market share. So the idiots who think this is going to solve everyone's problems don't realize they are just playing right into the hands of the evil corporations they are so against.

Soon we will all be beholden to the Wal-Mart overlords. Frankly, I look forward to having not having to think about what I wear. I will rock a uniform of black pants and blue vest like no one else.

lol

I've already seen how this turns out:

kiosks.jpg

That's how you order at virtually any Mcdonalds throughout Europe. Any fast(er) food, really. And these machines were put in for the exact same reasons that they'll soon be going in here- these governments passed asinine min wage laws that made human labor more expensive than putting in a machine.

lol

I've already seen how this turns out:

kiosks.jpg

That's how you order at virtually any Mcdonalds throughout Europe. Any fast(er) food, really. And these machines were put in for the exact same reasons that they'll soon be going in here- these governments passed asinine min wage laws that made human labor more expensive than putting in a machine.
Can't wait. That machine might actually get my order right.

Reactions: JSeloc and crambone
When all the big businesses are paying $15 an hour the small business won't be able to afford to keep up and will have to close. The large corporations will gain even more power and market share. So the idiots who think this is going to solve everyone's problems don't realize they are just playing right into the hands of the evil corporations they are so against.

Soon we will all be beholden to the Wal-Mart overlords. Frankly, I look forward to having not having to think about what I wear. I will rock a uniform of black pants and blue vest like no one else.

That is exactly why Walmart supported Obamacare, They knew they could handle it, and many competitors would get hurt.

"During the Orlando rally, Clint Cuyler said he was hired at Sea World when he 16 and paid $7.10. Now 24, he works at Burger King earning $8.05, and sees people around him working multiple jobs trying to make ends meet."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...-celebrates-new-yorks-15-minimum-wage-victory

LOL

The dude is worth not even $1 more per hour 8 years after starting as a teenager.

This is what you call an extremely low skilled individual with absolutely no education.

By the way, my good friend started at Sea world in college, sweeping the floors in the auditorium venues, and he's now a manager there making over $65K per year. At least. He did this in just under 8 years. You could make more than $10 an hour EASILY at Sea World within just 1-2 years of being there, if not sooner.

Seriously this is a bad idea, even I know this..
Progressives it sounds great but too many companies barely get by, and those will all close.
Also the food costs going up 43% sounds like more poverty is coming by raising the Min Wage.
I am for people being able to make a living wage, but something has got to give.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/11/3-ways-minimum-wage-hurts-people

Even most "progressives" wouldn't support a nationwide $15/hr min wage. That's not going to happen anytime soon.

LOL

The dude is worth not even $1 more per hour 8 years after starting as a teenager.

This is what you call an extremely low skilled individual with absolutely no education.

By the way, my good friend started at Sea world in college, sweeping the floors in the auditorium venues, and he's now a manager there making over $65K per year. At least. He did this in just under 8 years. You could make more than $10 an hour EASILY at Sea World within just 1-2 years of being there, if not sooner.
THISSSSSSSS^^^^^^^ EXACTLY!!!!!!!

One of my best friends started doing security at Disney in 98 for 6.15 an hour. Not only did he eventually become assitant director of loss prevention at Hollywood Studios but he actually just accepted a job in California as director of loss prevention and security for California's Great Adventure, making just south of 6 figures and with just an associates degree that he just got about a year ago.

When you're a good worker, be it for someone or self employed, you get ahead in life. When you're a lazy waste of semen like the dude on this article, you earn $2 over 10 years. Fukc this dude and everybody that wants this shit to happen.

Reactions: crambone
My neighbor is actually a regional manger for Publix. He started there as a cashier something like 12 years ago. Kept working his way up and taking on new jobs, rotated around the store, knew it inside and out. Eventually he became that store manager and now he has multiple stores under his thumb.

I don't know his salary but I know he makes pretty good money.

He's not college educated but worked his ass off and learned everything he could at the job.

These people need to realize that they'll only increase their wages by obtaining some actual skill, quality, or education that people want to pay them for. Doing a job half-assed that a child could do and demanding the government mandate more pay is bullshit.

Lol, really?

Because Bernie Sanders and his other left wingers in Congress have already floated legislation to mandate $15 and above Federal Min Wage. And this guy is currently the darling amongst progressives in this country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-minimum-wage-bill_55afbbd1e4b0a9b9485332eb

Again, we're not going to have a $15 federal minimum wage anytime soon. This stuff gets floated for 2 rasons: to keep the fringe engaged and to set a starting negotiating point.

Minimum wage needs to come up, but not to $15 an hour. Set it at an amount that lets people working 40+ hours to have a basic living standard based on where they live and peg it to some inflation index that tracks the cost of basic needs, then stop wasting time talking about it.

Like you said before though, that would eliminate lot of democratic candidates talking points.

My neighbor is actually a regional manger for Publix. He started there as a cashier something like 12 years ago. Kept working his way up and taking on new jobs, rotated around the store, knew it inside and out. Eventually he became that store manager and now he has multiple stores under his thumb.

He's not college educated but worked his ass off and learned everything he could at the job.

These people need to realize that they'll only increase their wages by obtaining some actual skill, quality, or education that people want to pay them for. Doing a job half-assed that a child could do and demanding the government mandate more pay is bullshit.
Publix is actually great at promoting from within. Have a friend that started bagging groceries, moved to the meat department, got put in charge, was paid to go to college and now manages several stores in Georgia.

Shit, my job paid for my degree. There's all sorts of opportunities out there but these morons want an easy job that pays a shit ton of money and @KnighttimeJoe isn't giving up his "softball" teaching job with 8 months of vacation a year anytime soon.

Publix is actually great at promoting from within. Have a friend that started bagging groceries, moved to the meat department, got put in charge, was paid to go to college and now manages several stores in Georgia.

Shit, my job paid for my degree. There's all sorts of opportunities out there but these morons want an easy job that pays a shit ton of money and @KnighttimeJoe isn't giving up his "softball" teaching job with 8 months of vacation a year anytime soon.

I can't wait to take selfies in your fiat when it becomes mine.

Again, we're not going to have a $15 federal minimum wage anytime soon. This stuff gets floated for 2 rasons: to keep the fringe engaged and to set a starting negotiating point.

Minimum wage needs to come up, but not to $15 an hour. Set it at an amount that lets people working 40+ hours to have a basic living standard based on where they live and peg it to some inflation index that tracks the cost of basic needs, then stop wasting time talking about it.

Like you said before though, that would eliminate lot of democratic candidates talking points.

Minimum wage is for high school kids bagging groceries and flipping burgers after school. You shouldn't be in your 20's and still making minimum wage. You have no one but yourself to blame if you are.

technically a living wage is being able to afford rent, or mortgage. Yes a mortgage, insurance & taxes usually are cheaper.. Your rent should be 33% of your annual income..
Since an average 1/1 in Miami is close to $1900 a month. That would make people needed to make close to $68,000 a year to have a living wage.. And Sadly that Min wage in Miami should be around $35 an hour..
Miami needs a wake up call.. Most people spend 60% on the rent, and this is not how to make a living.

There's an interesting proposal from an economist at UMass that basically says that the minimum wage should reflect the median wage in the state/region and that a federal minimum wage is a bad solution to the problem of wealth inequality. There's a state-by-state rundown of proposed minimum wages as well as examples from major metropolitan areas. It's pretty interesting.

The guy also got his PhD from the University of Chicago, so 85 can't argue that he's a liberal nutjob.

I can't say for sure what he makes, but I knew the manager of the deli department at one of their stores and she made 80,000 a year. And this was back in 2005.

technically a living wage is being able to afford rent, or mortgage. Yes a mortgage, insurance & taxes usually are cheaper.. Your rent should be 33% of your annual income..
Since an average 1/1 in Miami is close to $1900 a month. That would make people needed to make close to $68,000 a year to have a living wage.. And Sadly that Min wage in Miami should be around $35 an hour..
Miami needs a wake up call.. Most people spend 60% on the rent, and this is not how to make a living.

Yeah, but who says a person has to pay $1,900 a month by themselves. It's called a roommate. Drop that amount by half and it becomes much more reasonable.

Having worked in a homeless shelter, I do have to say a lack of affordable housing was usually the biggest barriers for homeless families (that and child care). There are tons of ways to address the issue, from rent control to affordable housing requirements as part of new housing developments, but it takes a coordinated community effort to make progress. Most communities (e.g. City of Orlando) just care about the tax revenue.

Yeah, but who says a person has to pay $1,900 a month by themselves. It's called a roommate. Drop that amount by half and it becomes much more reasonable.

Having worked in a homeless shelter, I do have to say a lack of affordable housing was usually the biggest barriers for homeless families (that and child care). There are tons of ways to address the issue, from rent control to affordable housing requirements as part of new housing developments, but it takes a coordinated community effort to make progress. Most communities (e.g. City of Orlando) just care about the tax revenue.
I will give you one option that the State of Florida refuses to allow.

Tiny Homes. I will misquote because I came by this information second hand from a person who builds them. Florida requires that any home less than 600 square feet (I believe) must be trailered.

So a 500 square foot home is pretty solid floor plan. You get a kitchen, a living room and 1-2 areas for beds including a loft, usually over the kitchen area. They are far safer than trailers and can be built on small plots of land. He builds these things for anywhere from $50-$100k depending on size and features (he does some with granite countertops, etc). If he sells them (@ 50% of the transactions he does) they go for about $80k + $100 - $150 per month in maintenance fees. He does them in planned communities with some coming with high-speed internet, cable, and electric included in that monthly fee. So a single mom with 2 kids has a place for about $500 a month + $150 a month in the maintenance fee.

He also takes care of lawn care and exterior home maintenance like painting and shingles, etc. If he rents them, he goes on the lower end interior and can rent it for $450 a month all inclusive.

While he is getting calls to build these mini-communities in places like Washington and Oregon, his headquarters are here in Orlando and the state has flat out told him to go away.

There's an interesting proposal from an economist at UMass that basically says that the minimum wage should reflect the median wage in the state/region and that a federal minimum wage is a bad solution to the problem of wealth inequality. There's a state-by-state rundown of proposed minimum wages as well as examples from major metropolitan areas. It's pretty interesting.

The guy also got his PhD from the University of Chicago, so 85 can't argue that he's a liberal nutjob.

It's not a terrible idea, but there's still problems involved. For instance, an average wage in Tampa itself is going to be a lot different than wages just 20 minutes away in Bradenton or north in Spring Hill. Wages and how far that wage goes is such a "local" issue. That's why these blanket min wages are so dumb.

It's not a terrible idea, but there's still problems involved. For instance, an average wage in Tampa itself is going to be a lot different than wages just 20 minutes away in Bradenton or north in Spring Hill. Wages and how far that wage goes is such a "local" issue. That's why these blanket min wages are so dumb.
I think that's the point. If you're not federally mandating it, policymakers in Tampa can use their data and policymakers in Spring Hill can use theirs. On top of that, it's a pretty straightforward calculation and it makes emotional sense to people. Raising the federal minimum wage or eliminating it entirely present far more problems than an approach like this one.

First thing to do is seal the Border. The Feds should do this by hiring Illegals to build the fence. Would be easy to deport that group as sects of fence come together shut them out on the Mexican side. With fewer sneaking in, and less downward pressure on wages without them, get rid of the minimum wage.

Win for everyone, jobs program for illegals, More jobs and higher wages for Americans, and the border issue finally addressed in a humane way.

First thing to do is seal the Border. The Feds should do this by hiring Illegals to build the fence. Would be easy to deport that group as sects of fence come together shut them out on the Mexican side. With fewer sneaking in, and less downward pressure on wages without them, get rid of the minimum wage.

Win for everyone, jobs program for illegals, More jobs and higher wages for Americans, and the border issue finally addressed in a humane way.
1) The illegals aren't the whopper-floppers asking for $15/hour
2) Enjoy paying more money for fruits and vegetables. And lawn service.

About $150,000 a year but if he's been there for more than 15 years and kept his stock he's worth millions.

Reactions: crambone
This country essentially runs on illegals and day laborers.
And every time they raise the minimum wage, the market for black market labor grows that much more and the incentive to jump the border becomes that much stronger.

And every time they raise the minimum wage, the market for black market labor grows that much more and the incentive to jump the border becomes that much stronger.

I guess, but Mexicans are going to come regardless. They actually want to work unlike millions of lazy Americans who'd rather collect a welfare check and drink beer and smoke cigs all day long.

I guess, but Mexicans are going to come regardless. They actually want to work unlike millions of lazy Americans who'd rather collect a welfare check and drink beer and smoke cigs all day long.
Yeah, but how much of that is first generation/second generation differences? Furthermore, if you grant amnesty and make them all citizens, then they will eventually realize that they are better off taking the government's money and services than working and getting less overall. And they will have to earn the minimum wage as citizens so they will now be undercut by the new illegals. So the cycle starts anew.

What makes it worse is that we're starting to give many of the benefits of citizenry to illegals. At some point, there will be zero incentive for them to actually become citizens. They'll get all of the benefits with none of the responsibilities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT