ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Shannon is the DC**

I watched Shannon's interview and I'm not sold on him as a great fit for UCF. He admitted he hadn't seen UCF play at all, only knew they had a good season. During interview when asked why UCF, one of his reasons was "they pay their assistants >$200,000. There didn't seem to be any passion or motivation to choose UCF, more like "I needed a job and this fell in my lap!"
Well.., he’s just a bit better than Chinander at coaching defense. Big upgrade!

Considering, the last guy was preparing the defense during its biggest games from a moving van, I’ll take the guy who was good enough to be the interim coach at UF
That’s enough passion for me

I watched Shannon's interview and I'm not sold on him as a great fit for UCF. He admitted he hadn't seen UCF play at all, only knew they had a good season. During interview when asked why UCF, one of his reasons was "they pay their assistants >$200,000. There didn't seem to be any passion or motivation to choose UCF, more like "I needed a job and this fell in my lap!"
I heard the interview on the Knightline podcast and he was conveying how pioneering the UCF program was when it came to paying assistants, the indoor stadium, etc.
It had nothing to do with his personal decision to coach here.

Reactions: Mikesi
Don't get too excited. UF was pretty happy to see him go. He plays a very passive defense. Almost no blitzing. If you can't stop the run or get pressure with your front you will have trouble. He also has a penchant for signing guys who are under the radar. Some work out, some don't. That said, that attribute could work in your favor with some of the 3* players. He is a better recruiter than coach, but he does have a lot of experience (HC and DC).
I suspect the inability of the offense to score is a good reason Shannon didn't employ a more aggressive defense.
His best years were with Miami.
The Hurricanes' 2001 national championship team is widely considered to be one of the greatest college football teams of all time. During Shannon's six years as the Hurricanes defensive coordinator, his defenses consistently finished among the best in the nation:

With UCF scoring almost 50 a game, it shouldn't be difficult for Shannon to play more aggressively. Time of course will tell.

Shannon also likes high character recruits, which i suspect affected his success as coach of Miami.
He guided the school to the third-best Academic Progress Rate in NCAA Division I FBS. In his four-year tenure at Miami, only a single player was arrested. He also avoided the Nevin Shapiro scandal.

His son is on team

Shannon won't stay forever this is a pit stop until he gets another head coaching job. I am Just happy to have him for now he brings a lot of coaching experience and good recruiting ties. He should be able to help us lock up the South Florida recruits. :sunglasses:

When his defense is on the field every 3 minutes because our offense goes so fast, they aren't going to be high in the stat rankings. Keep teams under 25 a game and we'll go 13-0 again.

But that was the beauty of our offense and why the clown car was so full. There was plenty of opportunity for kids to play. You slow the temp and it is going to be tough getting Hamilton, Killins, Anderson, Richardson and Thompson the ball. I heard that they were planning to move Killins to slot WR, we'll see if that holds true.

Don't get me wrong, I love the offense, just understand that this type of offense comes with opponents scoring more points too just because they get so many chances.

A good defense is supposed to control from the beginning. Attrition will eventually set in with a fast offense, but bank on having a good lead. Problem with the last defense is lately they got us into early shootouts. Of course if our offense doesn't implement which happened last year, we'll have problems too.

If our secondary gets better (too many blown coverages and poor tackling) then our defense will be very good. Then look for another great season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT