ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting questions

mets198600

Four-Star Recruit
Jul 7, 2012
Okay, so i have two questions here.
1) I keep hearing about how GOL messed up relationships with the high schools around here and I feel like I've heard that for awhile. What happened exactly and did coach Brockton have anything to do with it?
2) what do you think we will be able to do from now until signing day? Any chance we land some studs?

Well Lankford has like no offers and isn't ranked and the other one seems to be all about the U so those don't excite me. I'm hoping he doesn't keep going after the same two stars that we always seem to attack

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Well Lankford has like no offers and isn't ranked and the other one seems to be all about the U so those don't excite me. I'm hoping he doesn't keep going after the same two stars that we always seem to attack
Lankford's tape looks pretty good & Hamilton is like every other good recruit. He could change his mind 3 times before signing day.

edit He put out 3 RB offers tonight

Last edited:
Some of the local high school coaches wanted us to offer a scholarship to their lesser players that were termed by GOL as Not good enough or NGE. When we did not offer they tend to have an ego and got mad. They were proud to send a real 1A player to say Auburn, Clemson or NC State etc. Some of these local high school coaches had a sour grape attitude after that. All you had to do was read the Fla Varsity. GOL was also not going to take a risk on a kid if he did not have his academics in order or have good character. We were not offering to thugs either.

I wonder what frost and Walters connection is? Is he definitely the new OC and recruiting coordinator? Former NFL WR.
Well they both went to Stanford at different times. Coach Walters knows a lot of the coaches that Coach Frost looks up to and played for. Plus they are west coast guys.

Thank you for answering the questions. Idk coach waters, I'll have to look him up. I would love to see UCF control the I-4 corridor for recruiting and keep central Florida kids at UCF. I know we may not be landing 5 stars left and right but I don't think it's crazy to think that we can fill up our squad with 3 and 4 star players and maybe just maybe land a 5 star every once and awhile. I may be being completely naïve or just a SUPER homer but I think we are good enough as a program to do that.

Some of the local high school coaches wanted us to offer a scholarship to their lesser players that were termed by GOL as Not good enough or NGE. When we did not offer they tend to have an ego and got mad. They were proud to send a real 1A player to say Auburn, Clemson or NC State etc. Some of these local high school coaches had a sour grape attitude after that. All you had to do was read the Fla Varsity. GOL was also not going to take a risk on a kid if he did not have his academics in order or have good character. We were not offering to thugs either.

This is 100% correct.

Thank you for answering the questions. Idk coach waters, I'll have to look him up. I would love to see UCF control the I-4 corridor for recruiting and keep central Florida kids at UCF. I know we may not be landing 5 stars left and right but I don't think it's crazy to think that we can fill up our squad with 3 and 4 star players and maybe just maybe land a 5 star every once and awhile. I may be being completely naïve or just a SUPER homer but I think we are good enough as a program to do that.

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer but there were only 6 5 stars and 42 4 stars in the rival preseason Florida rankings. That's 48 kids, say Florida/Florida State/Miami take 10 each that leaves 18, I can't see us fending off enough schools to get anymore then 3 or 4. We'll still be very 3 star heavy.

Love your optimism, but as things stand for 1-2 years, we'll have to settle for mostly 3 stars with occasional 2's and a handful of 4's per year. If we don't turn things around quickly, it will be longer than that as the "Frosty shine" will dull a bit.

It's about the type of player that he wants to recruit for his system. Look for a few track-like 170-185 pound speedsters who may be only a 3 star or less. Look at Chris Johnson who went to ECU years ago.

Something that GOL never recruited and I always hated it. Get me a freaking change of pace back or small WR who can make someone miss and take it the distance.

Every time I watch highlights of Saturday games at any level of football, I'm constantly watching these amazing long athletic runs on both sides of the ball and in the return game and saying "Wow., we aren't even close to that. I can't see many or any of our current players doing that!"

Last edited:

Lankford isn't fully qualified, hence lack of offers.

If he ever gets fully qualified, offers would roll in

Reactions: UCFhonors
Back in the day these 5'9" speedsters were all over NFL rosters. Look at Clayton and Duper they were the top WR's that Marino had at Miami back in the day and they were like 5'9" and 5'10" Now the NFL wants big and fast WR's like Tampa has.

1) I keep hearing about how GOL messed up relationships with the high schools around here and I feel like I've heard that for awhile. What happened exactly and did coach Brockton have anything to do with it?
2) what do you think we will be able to do from now until signing day? Any chance we land some studs?

1. Brockton? You mean Sean Beckton?
The stories are that GOL didn't want to take subpar local kids. Lots of kids want to move away or play for a crappy "p5" school. Beckon is not implicated in those rumors.
2. We will sign a full class. Our last 2-3 classes are some of our highest rated. We always get 1-3 4stars.

I expect a boost to recruiting bc of the new coach and bc it's seen that players have a chance to start early which is always a big selling point. Generally our biggest name recruit commits bc of a promise of playing time.

GOL fan here, but IMO there wasn't a lot of effort on his part to recruit local talent. I mentioned it in another thread about a month back, but in the time he has been at UCF, he still has not been to my school- we've had Gators, Bulls, Georgia Bulldogs and various others. Not once did he recruit any of them. In his first couple of seasons here, we had one of the best QB's in central Florida, didn't recruit him at all- kid went on to start for another D1 program (switched positions) for about 3 years if I remember correctly. In my time at my current school (10 years plus) Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong, Mario Cristobal and countless others have been there to visit with players or just visit the coaching staff, especially during spring ball. Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing a UCF coach at practice. For what it is worth, that is just my view and what I saw at one single school. What others have said about some coaches having sour grapes, that is also true.

As far as signing day goes, I think we will be recruiting leaner OL and much smaller backs and WR's. I'm not sure we will land any studs by the standards of the recruiting services, but I don't see Frost having a hard time finding athletes that fit the bill of what he is looking for. He might come up a little short on the OL and DL this first year.

GOL fan here, but IMO there wasn't a lot of effort on his part to recruit local talent. I mentioned it in another thread about a month back, but in the time he has been at UCF, he still has not been to my school- we've had Gators, Bulls, Georgia Bulldogs and various others. Not once did he recruit any of them. In his first couple of seasons here, we had one of the best QB's in central Florida, didn't recruit him at all- kid went on to start for another D1 program (switched positions) for about 3 years if I remember correctly. In my time at my current school (10 years plus) Urban Meyer, Charlie Strong, Mario Cristobal and countless others have been there to visit with players or just visit the coaching staff, especially during spring ball. Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing a UCF coach at practice. For what it is worth, that is just my view and what I saw at one single school. What others have said about some coaches having sour grapes, that is also true.

As far as signing day goes, I think we will be recruiting leaner OL and much smaller backs and WR's. I'm not sure we will land any studs by the standards of the recruiting services, but I don't see Frost having a hard time finding athletes that fit the bill of what he is looking for. He might come up a little short on the OL and DL this first year.

I've heard similar complaints from a few Orlando-area schools. The UCF coaches didn't visit.

I think it's odd that in 12+ recruiting classes, GOL never signed an Apopka player. From the other state powers in our backyard: only 1 Dr. Phillips player in 12+ years, 0 from Daytona Beach Mainland, 1 from West Orange, only 2 players from Brevard County, total, and 0 from Osceola County, total. He had a 3-year stretch (2009-2011) where he got some Edgewater players and Victor Gray, his only DP player, but that was about it. I wonder if he had an assistant during those 3 years who had some local connections. He hadn't signed an Orange County player since 2012.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poolside Knight
I've heard similar complaints from a few Orlando-area schools. The UCF coaches didn't visit.

I think it's odd that in 12+ recruiting classes, GOL never signed an Apopka player. From the other state powers in our backyard: only 1 Dr. Phillips player in 12+ years, 0 from Daytona Beach Mainland, 1 from West Orange, only 2 players from Brevard County, total, and 0 from Osceola County, total. He had a 3-year stretch (2009-2011) where he got some Edgewater players and Victor Gray, his only DP player, but that was about it. I wonder if he had an assistant during those 3 years who had some local connections. He hadn't signed an Orange County player since 2012.
Locals hated him. Probably cost us an average of 10,000 in attendance.

Reactions: Poolside Knight

Brevard and Volusia county HS Coaches are celebrating this UCF hire like a Middle Eastern Dictator just got overthrown. I knew it was bad but the reaction is eye opening

Seeing Public Quotes from them now reacting to Frost saying things like "UCF is our Hometown Team"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT