ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Coaching contributed more to the losses than you think....a lot more
Yes they recruited and coached the kids. It’s half their fault. Other half is players. You don’t want to live off of transfers. You want best players to be high school recruits and stop gaps to be transfers. When best players are only here 1 year it’s hard to win.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Yes they recruited and coached the kids. It’s half their fault. Other half is players. You don’t want to live off of transfers. You want best players to be high school recruits and stop gaps to be transfers. When best players are only here 1 year it’s hard to win.
Mike Hughes was our only first round NFL pick in 2018 so by that measure he was or best player. He was only here one year. We went 13-0 in his only season, 2017. Doesn't seem like it was hard for us to win with him here. Also, we probably don't go undefeated without him.

Singletary was 230, Thomas 242, Fletcher 242, Mills 232, Dumerville 250. Not going to waste my time with those others. At 205 he needs to be real fast or play safety.
yeah i'm not seeing all these comparisons to LBs who weighed 230+. depending on his speed he could probably be compared to another FCS linebacker: Dexter Coakley, 5-10 215 in college.

1we are about 10 minutes into a new coaching tenure, can you hold off on the constant negativity for even just half an offseason, like damn. what you're saying goes for every program in the country winning good losing bad.
Look man. I did not say at that I did not like this take. I am ok with it. We missed on Perkings after he got the UF offer.

We needed a CB bad, this man should help. I did say he is not a "boom" type get and he is not. He was not a top four CB at Auburn and decided to leave. Understandable.

I think he will be valuable here. But let me tell you and the others this again, getting so many portal guys is a risky move. Basically we got zero help from the 2020 class. I told everyone how bad it was back then. I also told everyone that talent was lacking in this team in all areas but QB. Gus came in and has proven me correct again.

I stand by my takes, over and over I have been proven to be in the know. I call it like I see it and nothing will change that.

Reactions: Yaes and PhDee
Mike Hughes was our only first round NFL pick in 2018 so by that measure he was or best player. He was only here one year. We went 13-0 in his only season, 2017. Doesn't seem like it was hard for us to win with him here. Also, we probably don't go undefeated without him.
So what transfer replaced him? Like I said. You have to hit every year on transfers or you won’t consistently win. And we haven’t the last 2 seasons. We need 3 or 4 year guys to be hits so winning happens more consistently.

So what transfer replaced him? Like I said. You have to hit every year on transfers or you won’t consistently win. And we haven’t the last 2 seasons. We need 3 or 4 year guys to be hits so winning happens more consistently.
I agree. I know even the top teams bring in transfers but not this many. That said, for us it's necessary right now. Hopefully the staff also gets a bunch of 4* and 5* highschool recruits and we can rely on them for 3-4 years.

I agree. I know even the top teams bring in transfers but not this many. That said, for us it's necessary right now. Hopefully the staff also gets a bunch of 4* and 5* highschool recruits and we can rely on them for 3-4 years.
I don't think we should make our decisions based on whether someone is a transfer it not. If 1.) he wants to play for us, 2.) he fills an immediate need and 3.) he has high level talent, then I believe we should go after him regardless of whether he is a transfer or not. With that being said, if we have a choice between a 4 year guy and a one year guy with equal talent at the same position then, yes, the kid with 4-5 years of eligibility would potentially seem more attractive.

But the caveat is that, when you have an immediate need to fill, as opposed to depth recruiting, sometimes it is better to depend on someone with college experience to fill that need instead of someone with only high school experience. In that case, a 1-2 year transfer can more dependably fill the gap while the younger talent develops, and even help them in developing.

In essence, most of our incoming freshmen don't actually play significant roles on the field for four years. And most of our transfers are here for more than one year. Aaron Robinson, Tre Nixon, Jacob Harris, were all here several years just to name a few. So the 4 year vs. one year comparison is a misleading generalization.

The better question is what incoming high schooler replaced Mike Hughes? And in response to your next inaccurate point, we have hit on transfers in the last 2 years We just put 4 in the NFL one month ago, including 3 DBs, who came after Mike Hughes.

I don't think we should make our decisions based on whether someone is a transfer it not. If 1.) he wants to play for us, 2.) he fills an immediate need and 3.) he has high level talent, then I believe we should go after him regardless of whether he is a transfer or not. With that being said, if we have a choice between a 4 year guy and a one year guy with equal talent at the same position then, yes, the kid with 4-5 years of eligibility would potentially seem more attractive.

But the caveat is that, when you have an immediate need to fill, as opposed to depth recruiting, sometimes it is better to depend on someone with college experience to fill that need instead of someone with only high school experience. In that case, a 1-2 year transfer can more dependably fill the gap while the younger talent develops, and even help them in developing.

In essence, most of our incoming freshmen don't actually play significant roles on the field for four years. And most of our transfers are here for more than one year. Aaron Robinson, Tre Nixon, Jacob Harris, were all here several years just to name a few. So the 4 year vs. one year comparison is a misleading generalization.
Recruiting for high school guys is over for this cycle. We are taking away from next years class with every transfer.

The better question is what incoming high schooler replaced Mike Hughes? And in response to your next inaccurate point, we have hit on transfers in the last 2 years We just put 4 in the NFL one month ago, including 3 DBs, who came after Mike Hughes.
We have missed on a few too. Also 1 of those DBs sat out a year. Taking a scholarship from someone that wanted to play. He should have left school so we could use his scholarship.

We have missed on a few too. Also 1 of those DBs sat out a year. Taking a scholarship from someone that wanted to play. He should have left school so we could use his scholarship.
We missed on many high schoolers as well. Neither approach is fool-proof. Also, when you miss on a high schooler, that can be 5 years of a scholarship that does not put a guy on the field. So the circumstances of having guys on board for five years cuts both ways.

Last edited:
Most of these transfers have multiple years of eligibility save for the LB and Big Kat. I’m of the take a proven commodity camp as opposed to most of the HS talent Heupel was bringing in. Gus is filling the team with crazy talented transfers, there’s not much to be upset about here.

Memphis, SMU, ECU, Tennessee and Florida State have taken more transfers than us this year, and probably a whole lot of other programs have too that we don't follow. I think we're the ones making this more of an issue than it actually is. Coaches and ADs don't seem to think it will hinder anything. This might become the new norm of the transfer portal with the rule changes.

Last edited:
Memphis, SMU, ECU, Tennessee and Florida State have taken more transfers than us this year, and probably a whole lot of other programs have too that we don't follow. I think we're the ones making this more of an issue than it actually is. Coaches and ADs don't seem to think it will hinder anything. This might become the new norm of the transfer portal with the rule changes.

Yea I read an article or post somewhere about the number of transfers everyone is taking. I agree fans are making a bigger deal out of it than it is. We need to capitalize on the excitement around the program right now and the best chance of that is bringing in experienced/highly rated transfers.

Just wondering do outgoing transfers also free up space ? Remember through last year and this period we have had a few transfer out.
You can only add 25 scholarships per cycle. We are up to about 33 so 8 we can’t replace. We can keep pushing them forward but eventually it will catch up.

Reactions: lawknight

Plus Flash came here in 2019 (had to redshirt) and played immediately at a young 4 star level...and all have high hopes for 4 star DB Divaad Wilson who came here last fall.

UCF has done well targeting multi-year transfers in the pass...but now in this new free agency being the norm, it will get wild and crazier next year.

Most of these transfers have multiple years of eligibility save for the LB and Big Kat. I’m of the take a proven commodity camp as opposed to most of the HS talent Heupel was bringing in. Gus is filling the team with crazy talented transfers, there’s not much to be upset about here.
4 of the 9 scholarship transfers have just 1 year of eligibility left.

Thread 'Here is a look at years of eligibility for the 11 transfer players (includes 2 walk-ons)' https://ucf.forums.rivals.com/threa...1-transfer-players-includes-2-walk-ons.91614/

As someone who coaches high school sports at a very high level, I can tell you that the days of high school recruiting are dwindling, ESPECIALLY for basketball.

Why take an 18 year old kid when you can take a more mature 20-21 year old who has already gotten his freshman jitters out of his system.

A number of my Division 1 friends said that their staff does not have a single High School kid on their big board, it is all transfers and JUCO kids

As someone who coaches high school sports at a very high level, I can tell you that the days of high school recruiting are dwindling, ESPECIALLY for basketball.

Why take an 18 year old kid when you can take a more mature 20-21 year old who has already gotten his freshman jitters out of his system.

A number of my Division 1 friends said that their staff does not have a single High School kid on their big board, it is all transfers and JUCO kids
That’s going to backfire as well. Kids are going G Leage for a mil a year. Plus basketball you only bring in 3-5 guys a year. Especially in basketball it takes time to gel as a team. Well over 1 season. Show me a basketball team that wins with all transfers. All of the blue bloods get the top recruits. Gonzaga is joining them. They only need 1 transfer or so.

Reactions: ahabmw
That’s going to backfire as well. Kids are going G Leage for a mil a year. Plus basketball you only bring in 3-5 guys a year. Especially in basketball it takes time to gel as a team. Well over 1 season. Show me a basketball team that wins with all transfers. All of the blue bloods get the top recruits. Gonzaga is joining them. They only need 1 transfer or so.

Baylor had 54% of it's scoring come from transfers and won the title
Houston had 61% of it's scoring come from transfers.

As always, this board in general and this thread in particular feels like a case of people creating a problem to be mad at.
So you believed everything Danny White said? You also believed everything we were told about how Heupel and his acolytes were recruiting just fine?

Fans are posting informed opinions, not everyone is a sheep.

Baylor had 54% of it's scoring come from transfers and won the title
Houston had 61% of it's scoring come from transfers.
So not 100 % as the other poster said was a great formula. Thanks for looking up the numbers. Doesn’t even matter if not accurate. Still proved my point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT