ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

door-slam-upset.gif

Recruiting and outcomes of a single game isn't the problem. Look at A&M or other middle pack SEC/B10 teams, always have top classes and are 8-4 at best. Biggest concern recruiting wise is the lack of year to year development. Its a different world in the NIL and transfer portal era, but with 4 years of Gus we shouldn't be banking on the portal to build the team and thats killing us on defense. And its definitely going to be a problem next year when we lose a ton of starters next year on offense.

Recruiting and outcomes of a single game isn't the problem. Look at A&M or other middle pack SEC/B10 teams, always have top classes and are 8-4 at best. Biggest concern recruiting wise is the lack of year to year development. Its a different world in the NIL and transfer portal era, but with 4 years of Gus we shouldn't be banking on the portal to build the team and thats killing us on defense. And its definitely going to be a problem next year when we lose a ton of starters next year on offense.
I agree that 1 game alone isn't the issue when it comes to recruiting.

However, I don't think we are relying excessively on the portal. We are bringing in 18 or 19 high school recruits each cycle. That is sufficient if you bring in the right recruits. If you are not bringing in the right recruits then more of them will not improve the situation. However, I do feel we are getting the right recruits to make us competitive in the Big 12. I think the talent on the field is at a competitive level. I believe our player development and in game schemes are moreso the issue

As far as Gus having four years at UCF to build the roster, two of those years we were in the AAC. That AAC recruiting does not translate to developing BIG12 depth.

Couldn't agree more. The portal has to be a supplement to your recruiting. Fill a hole or two on both sides, but your base for success is your 4/5 year guys. It's not really a theory either, all college coaches should look at the NFL as a small model. Now don't get me wrong, NFL to NFL vs NCAA vs NCAA talent is a huge talent gap. Meaning one player really could elevate your team, and honestly Colorado is a perfect example of that. Just in a normal year to year, you would hope your coach isn't bringing in 5 or more new starters to begin the year. Just kind of says they can't recruit or evaluate.

It's also more than shitty to push kids out of a program they recruited for a new shiny toy, but that's a personal thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT