ADVERTISEMENT

Reparation talk in the House

Nominated for worst post ever.

In other news, Elizabeth Warren wants to give retroactive tax credits for gay couples, essentially just another form of reparations.
i cant wait to watch the debates. everyone is going to promise something for free. i doubt the moderators will ask them how they plan to pay for these "free" programs.

Anyone care to explain to me why black people make so much less than white people today since slavery was so long ago and is not longer impactful?
These guys don't believe that 400 years of slavery, followed by 100 years or servitude and discriminatory laws, followed by 50+ years of veiled discrimination, has an effect on a culture. How would you expect them to put an ounce of thought into this? Black people just need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and work harder. That's the solution, to them.

These guys don't believe that 400 years of slavery, followed by 100 years or servitude and discriminatory laws, followed by 50+ years of veiled discrimination, has an effect on a culture. How would you expect them to put an ounce of thought into this? Black people just need to pick themselves up by the bootstraps and work harder. That's the solution, to them.
That isn't it at all. The question is whether or not giving the descendants of slaves a few thousand bucks will make any difference at all.

IMO, we shouldn't be asking what we can do to help, we should be asking what we are doing that hurts.

Just to keep the racial aspect out of this, look at this hypothetical: if you took half of Herman Cain's wealth away and gave it to some random African American guy who is his same age and grew up in the same neighborhood but still lives in poverty, which one of those two people do you think would be more likely to double that wealth? If you took half of Warren Buffets wealth and gave it to any random white guy that is the same age and came from the same upbringing in nowhere Nebraska, which one would you place money on to double it?

Reactions: UCFWayne
That isn't it at all. The question is whether or not giving the descendants of slaves a few thousand bucks will make any difference at all.

IMO, we shouldn't be asking what we can do to help, we should be asking what we are doing that hurts.

Just to keep the racial aspect out of this, look at this hypothetical: if you took half of Herman Cain's wealth away and gave it to some random African American guy who is his same age and grew up in the same neighborhood but still lives in poverty, which one of those two people do you think would be more likely to double that wealth? If you took half of Warren Buffets wealth and gave it to any random white guy that is the same age and came from the same upbringing in nowhere Nebraska, which one would you place money on to double it?

Keep rationality and logic out of this. The usual wanna be SJWs on the board just want to preach at everyone about how Woke they are and how in tune they are with race relations and the history of racism in the country.

How much money would Warren Buffet have if he was born black in a slums of Chicago but was just as smart as he is now?

You'd have to be very arrogant to believe that your success is 100% your own doing. Anyone who thinks they would be just as well off born into the slums is full of shit.

If you were born into a rich family you're very likely to stay rich.

If you were born poor you're very likely to stay poor.

Almost every black family started with nothing and they are staying poor because that's how it works. It's not because they are black that they are poor it's because they started poor and economic mobility isn't as free as we pretend it is.

We are making matters worse with the fact that black people get paid 9% - 35% less than white people across all education levels.

Black women make 60% of what a white man makes with the same education.

Every payday the need for reperations grows because we are still short changing black people and making it harder for them to achieve economic mobility than we are for white people.

You'd have to be very arrogant to believe that your success is 100% your own doing. Anyone who thinks they would be just as well off born into the slums is full of shit.

Almost every black family started with nothing and they are staying poor because that's how it works. It's not because they are black that they are poor it's because they started poor and economic mobility isn't as free as we pretend it is.

We are making matters worse with the fact that black people get paid 9% - 35% less than white people across all education levels.

Every payday the need for reperations grows because we are still short changing black people and making it harder for them to achieve economic mobility than we are for white people.
follow 3 rules and you wont live in poverty:
graduate high school
wait until 21 to get married and dont have kids before getting married
work a full time job

damn you are right, those are really hard to do.

graduate high school
work a full time job

Who taught you that?

Care to source even a single claim being made here?

graduate high school
work a full time job

...and you idiots wonder why we call you racist?

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Of course not.
You're the one that brought it into this discussion.
anyone who follows those rules will not live in poverty. it doesnt matter if they were born into a rich family or a poor one. i never mentioned race in my post, you were the one that insisted i did.

stop calling people racist just because you disagree with them.

anyone who follows those rules will not live in poverty. it doesnt matter if they were born into a rich family or a poor one. i never mentioned race in my post, you were the one that insisted i did.

[roll]

It would be a much better America if we could have any conversations about social policy without being called racist or sexist or homophobic.

It would be a much better America if we could have any conversations about social policy without being called racist or sexist or homophobic.
Actually, it would be much better in America if we could have discussions about social policy without idiots thinking there are 3 simple rules to not live in poverty.

Actually, it would be much better in America if we could have discussions about social policy without idiots thinking there are 3 simple rules to not live in poverty.
https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/...teens-should-follow-to-join-the-middle-class/

The New York Times has referred to the organization as liberal, liberal-centrist, centrist, and conservative. The Washington Post has described Brookings as centrist and liberal. ... Newsweek has described Brookings as centrist while Politico has used the term "center-left".

stop calling everyone you disagree with racist.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/...teens-should-follow-to-join-the-middle-class/

The New York Times has referred to the organization as liberal, liberal-centrist, centrist, and conservative. The Washington Post has described Brookings as centrist and liberal. ... Newsweek has described Brookings as centrist while Politico has used the term "center-left".

stop calling everyone you disagree with racist.

Racist or not, that article is dumb as dogshit and so are you for believing it is some magical fix-all.

Why did you bring that up then?

You would think that most people would understand that....hmm starting out as a slave may have been an unfair disadvantage,

They don't mind yelling about how their favorite team got screwed on a no call though.

Racist or not, that article is dumb as dogshit and so are you for believing it is some magical fix-all.

And you believe in some magical all-encompassing racist roadblock that makes upward mobility literally impossible for these people. Brookings ran an article with some statistical correlation to back it up and all you have is to first call it racist, realize you just called a liberal piece "racist" and backtrack, and settle on "dumb".

Honestly, laugh out fuking loud if you think that Reparations are a better pathway out of poverty for poor African Americans than what Wayne just posted.

And you believe in some magical all-encompassing racist roadblock that makes upward mobility literally impossible for these people. Brookings ran an article with some statistical correlation to back it up and all you have is to first call it racist, realize you just called a liberal piece "racist" and backtrack, and settle on "dumb".

Honestly, laugh out fuking loud if you think that Reparations are a better pathway out of poverty for poor African Americans than what Wayne just posted.
chemmie might have a point if the brookings institute was some far right leaning think tank. everyone seems to agree they are moderate. i dont know why chemmie would feel the need to crap on decent life advice anyone could follow to help stay out of poverty. it would seem like something he would champion considering all his virtue signalling towards the poor.

but thats just it, chemmie would rather virtue signal that he cares all while calling everyone who he disagrees with racist.

chemmie might have a point if the brookings institute was some far right leaning think tank. everyone seems to agree they are moderate. i dont know why chemmie would feel the need to crap on decent life advice anyone could follow to help stay out of poverty. it would seem like something he would champion considering all his virtue signalling towards the poor.

but thats just it, chemmie would rather virtue signal that he cares all while calling everyone who he disagrees with racist.

You seriously have to be an idiot to think that article proves anything or provides any scientific basis for the points it tries to make. It is a perfect example of the causation/correlation principle. In other words, it is dogshit.
Secondly, the article is an opinion piece, and comes from a book the author wrote. It isn't some major scientific analysis from the Brookings Institute.
Thirdly, if Brookings is some major liberal thinktank, I'm just supposed to believe everything that some idiot writes on their webpage?

Stop being morons. It is a shitty article with shitty analysis. They would be laughed out of any actual scientific arena if this had to go through any kind of peer review process.

You seriously have to be an idiot to think that article proves anything or provides any scientific basis for the points it tries to make. It is a perfect example of the causation/correlation principle. In other words, it is dogshit.
Secondly, the article is an opinion piece, and comes from a book the author wrote. It isn't some major scientific analysis from the Brookings Institute.
Thirdly, if Brookings is some major liberal thinktank, I'm just supposed to believe everything that some idiot writes on their webpage?

Stop being morons. It is a shitty article with shitty analysis. They would be laughed out of any actual scientific arena if this had to go through any kind of peer review process.

The only moron here is the guy claiming that Reparations is a better pathway out of poverty for poor African Americans than adopting the advice that the Brookings article laid out.

You claim it's so dumb yet what you're arguing for here is far more dumb. You're dumb for doing it.

The only moron here is the guy claiming that Reparations is a better pathway out of poverty for poor African Americans than adopting the advice that the Brookings article laid out.

You claim it's so dumb yet what you're arguing for here is far more dumb. You're dumb for doing it.

You're doing it again: arguing with yourself.
Post one single post where I argued for reparations. One. Do it.

Dumbass.

I think liberals act as they do in this thread to feel less guilty when they hang out in hipster beer bars and hipster farm-to-table restaurants where 90% of the crowd are other white wealthy liberals and a meal costs as much as most poor people take home in a week.

They don't give a shit about poor people or minorities but this virtue signaling lets them talk amongst their leftie friends with some self satisfaction that they're "really doing something".

I think liberals act as they do in this thread to feel less guilty when they hang out in hipster beer bars and hipster farm-to-table restaurants where 90% of the crowd are other white wealthy liberals and a meal costs as much as most poor people take home in a week.

They don't give a shit about poor people or minorities but this virtue signaling lets them talking amongst their leftie friends with some self satisfaction that they're "really doing something".

You mean restaurants the use locally sourced food with fairly compensated employees, instead of mass-produced global shit that relies on slave labor?
I win again, dumbass. Go write another check to the pederasts to make yourself feel better.

You mean restaurants the use locally sourced food with fairly compensated employees, instead of mass-produced global shit that relies on slave labor?
I win again, dumbass. Go write another check to the pederasts to make yourself feel better.

lol look how butthurt you are. You know that you're exactly the kind of hypocrite virtue signaler that says shit like this and wastes away his time and his days in these pompous places inhabited by pompous idiots.

lol look how butthurt you are. You know that you're exactly the kind of hypocrite virtue signaler that says shit like this and wastes away his time and his days in these pompous places inhabited by pompous idiots.
Wait... you're calling me a hypocrite for spending more money on products I know are produced more humanely and laborers are well-compensated?

LOL.
Dumbass.

Now that we've established that 85 is a dumbass, and likes arguing with himself, let's approach reparations and what it would really mean.

Racist dumbasses like to over-simplify the discussion, making believe that reparations means "writing checks for black folks." This is a ridiculous assumption and based in their own biases.
Reparations doesn't mean the US Government should write checks to black folks. It means the US Government should finally make attempts to reverse the effects of hundreds of years of slavery, Jim Crow, racism, and discrimination, that have led to disproportionate poverty among minority groups.

...and I love how I posted this earlier in the thread, before the magical "Three Things To Not Be Poor" post. LOL. Called it.

Who taught you about those rules?

Who taught you that?
Author's bio- Ron Haskins
https://www.brookings.edu/experts/ron-haskins/
Haskins previously co-chaired the Evidence-Based Policymaking Commission appointed by Speaker Paul Ryan. He is the co-author of Show Me the Evidence: Obama’s Fight for Rigor and Evidence in Social Policy (2015) and the author of Work over Welfare: The Inside Story of the 1996 Welfare Reform Law (2006). Beginning in 1986, he spent 14 years on the staff of the House Ways and Means Committee and was subsequently appointed to be the Senior Advisor to President Bush for Welfare Policy. In 1997, Haskins was selected by the National Journal as one of the 100 most influential people in the federal government. He and his colleague Isabel Sawhill were awarded the 2016 Moynihan Prize by the American Academy of Political and Social Science for being champions of the public good and advocates for public policy based on social science research.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT