ADVERTISEMENT

Revisiting the 2023 football schedule

You people literally have no rivals and will be playing a bunch of nothing MidWest teams. You hold games in a crumbling high school stadium with tents on the sidelines (called cabanas).
the last time miami played k-state, y'all lost both to the nothings. you remind me of nebraska. living in decades past.

Reactions: oldskoolknight
You people literally have no rivals and will be playing a bunch of nothing MidWest teams. You hold games in a crumbling high school stadium with tents on the sidelines (called cabanas).
I hope you enjoy your new rival Middle Tennessee State Univ. They lead the series 1-0 btw.

Reactions: beelit47
Holy shit, MTSU actually has a 3-0 record versus Miami ahhhhahahahahahaha…god damn man, that’s hilarious. Hard to even call it a rivalry when it’s so one sided.

��
September 24, 20222022Coral Gables, FLW 45 - 31
December 3, 19321932MIAMI, FLW 7 - 0
November 14, 19311931MURFREESBORO, TNW 20 - 0

Gus seems to be stuck on the 9 wins per season record (including bowl game) and I don't see that changing this season. I will say having 9 wins in your first year in the Big 12 would be a big accomplishment.

well, you have a k-state fan here for a first look. i'm not surprised there's some trolling from nearby schools but nothing from your b12 mates.

we open b12 play in manhattan. we've hosted ucf in the past, during bill snyder's reign and will welcome you back.

best wishes for a smooth transition. #emaw

exterior_aerial-nw_CREDIT-KSU-Athletics_213D15B8-4FDA-472A-882AEC3EFD17151E_379c6ce9-0114-414d-99f89c98633b1a64.jpg
We had hopes of making Boise our road trip for this season but found the logistics/costs to be a bit much for everyone in our group. So Manhattan KS is our alternate and I’m pretty amped up about it. My Cousin went to KU but his law firm owns a suite (sky box?) at the K State stadium. We will be wined and dined as guests and I hear the game day atmosphere is great.

We had hopes of making Boise our road trip for this season but found the logistics/costs to be a bit much for everyone in our group. So Manhattan KS is our alternate and I’m pretty amped up about it. My Cousin went to KU but his law firm owns a suite (sky box?) at the K State stadium. We will be wined and dined as guests and I hear the game day atmosphere is great.
you'll be treated well here. k-state fans are known for their hospitality.

you'll be treated well here. k-state fans are known for their hospitality.
We’re going to the game as well. Know it’s early but any eating/drinking recommendations? How about game day parking? Heard great things about KState from my son-in-law that’s been there for BB games.

We’re going to the game as well. Know it’s early but any eating/drinking recommendations? How about game day parking? Heard great things about KState from my son-in-law that’s been there for BB games.
630fb7f34f724.image.png

i always tell people to park on college to the southwest of the stadium, south of via christi hospital, across from the baseball stadium. get there an hour and half before kickoff and have a little tailgate. you can park at the methodist church or private lots for $25-30 bucks and take an easy one block walk to "the bill." after the game, it's an easy exit.

manhattan's food scene is good, not great. always suggest folks get to aggieville on friday night before the game because it's fun and hopping. k-state band pub crawl and all. taco lucha is a favorite for locals, texmex. so long saloon, we ate there last night - cold beer and solid burger. but there are tons of places to eat in "the ville."

Last edited:
630fb7f34f724.image.png

i always tell people to park on college to the southwest of the stadium, south of via christi hospital, across from the baseball stadium. get there an hour and half before kickoff and have a little tailgate. you can park at the methodist church or private lots for $25-30 bucks and take an easy one block walk to "the bill." after the game, it's an easy exit.

manhattan's food scene is good, not great. always suggest folks get to aggieville on friday night before the game because it's fun and hopping. k-state band pub crawl and all. taco lucha is a favorite for locals, texmex. so long saloon, we ate there last night - cold beer and solid burger. but there are tons of places to eat in "the ville."

Thanks! Can’t wait to start our entry into the Big XII in Manhattan!

Really? Try looking at flying into Salt Lake City. I got direct flights (although on Spirit) for myself w/ my 8 yr old boy & 10 yr old daughter for $207 per round trip. Rented a convertible mustang for about $100 per day for the just over 4 hour trip through the mountains to Boise. My kids are stoked for the Blue field. The top down drive. Plan to go white water rafting and fly fishing…fly in Thursday morning (maybe Thursday/Friday game day?) and fly out Monday morning. Will drive back and stay in Salt Lake Sunday before flight.

I found travel to be somewhat cheap and easy, also stoked for the drive up to Boise in the vert. Booked free hotel on rewards through Marriot and Hilton, close to stadium. It’s going to be an awesome trip, might not ever play there again either and always wanted to go. Don’t have tickets yet though, going to wait until closer as they expensive right now. Will figure that out closer to season, when people are more reasonable to sell.

*Edit - just saw the cousin and suite deal at KSU. Never mind, but you should do BOTH trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew-C-F
Really? Try looking at flying into Salt Lake City. I got direct flights (although on Spirit) for myself w/ my 8 yr old boy & 10 yr old daughter for $207 per round trip. Rented a convertible mustang for about $100 per day for the just over 4 hour trip through the mountains to Boise. My kids are stoked for the Blue field. The top down drive. Plan to go white water rafting and fly fishing…fly in Thursday morning (maybe Thursday/Friday game day?) and fly out Monday morning. Will drive back and stay in Salt Lake Sunday before flight.

I found travel to be somewhat cheap and easy, also stoked for the drive up to Boise in the vert. Booked free hotel on rewards through Marriot and Hilton, close to stadium. It’s going to be an awesome trip, might not ever play there again either and always wanted to go. Don’t have tickets yet though, going to wait until closer as they expensive right now. Will figure that out closer to season, when people are more reasonable to sell.

*Edit - just saw the cousin and suite deal at KSU. Never mind, but you should do BOTH trips.
Hmmm… you make a compelling case for Boise. Might just be me and the Mrs, but I’m gonna give that trip some serious thought in addition to KSU trip. Your plan sounds great.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
ESPN FPI has us at 7.7-4.4, but with 9 games with above 50% change of winning.

Malzahn averaged 3 losses a year at Auburn if you take out bowl games and the Bama game and he's averaged 4 here. It's obviously a step up in strength of schedule this year so I'll say 6-6 at best.

Malzahn averaged 3 losses a year at Auburn if you take out bowl games and the Bama game and he's averaged 4 here. It's obviously a step up in strength of schedule this year so I'll say 6-6 at best.
If Gus averages 3 or 4 losses, then he will lose 3 or 4 games in the Big12. That's how averages work.

Reasonable guess. I’m in the 5-7 win area depending on how available and improved JRP is, assuming incremental improvement. If he is fully healthy all year and comes out looking like 2013 Bortles or 2017 MM, watch out league.

Conversely if he gets a big injury in game 1 or comes out looking like 2014 Pete DiNovo, watch out UCF.

Reasonable guess. I’m in the 5-7 win area depending on how available and improved JRP is, assuming incremental improvement. If he is fully healthy all year and comes out looking like 2013 Bortles or 2017 MM, watch out league.

Conversely if he gets a big injury in game 1 or comes out looking like 2014 Pete DiNovo, watch out UCF.
If it is 5-7, I think UCF will go 0-4/5 in games decided by one score or less. Since JRP has never led a game-winning drive, 0-4/5 is possible.

I do think the talent and coaching on UCF is too good to see the Knights to get blown out again and again.

Last second quarterback heroics will be the difference in a lot of games this season. JRP will need a Keene sense of urgency.

Both lines had troubles last year, even if they are improved they are now going against teams with quality depth every week.

Both lines had troubles last year, even if they are improved they are now going against teams with quality depth every week.
The line is a concern because there are so many new faces. We don't know how the group will gel or what UCF has in Kight, Schmidt, Marshall, and Metcalf. What little we know of Rupert is not good. Grable should excel and has a chance to be drafted or sign a free agent contract. Same goes for Paole.

The good news is these guys are all experienced upperclassmen who have played a lot. All have been fairly successful. Herb Hand said it was the deepest unit he has ever had. When you throw in homegrown players like Medley and Collins, who have started games for UCF, There isn't a position on the offensive line where UCF would be hamstrung by injury.

Last year, if Matt Lee had been injured, UCF should have struggled to beat anybody. Lee was the most important player on the field. Period. There was no backup. UCF would have had to shuffle its entire offensive line to replace Lee.

I think the offensive line will be serviceable.

Guys, I am officially drinking the Knight-aide wearing the black and Golden glasses, and bathing in spray tan, there is no way this team sucks!

How many seasons do you go into where the biggest position battles are center (where you have two former starters competing), a linebacker spot (where you returned the starter from last season), cornerback (where you signed a projected first round NFL pick), and backup quarterback (granted you probably do suck there)?

Every team has question marks, but this team is stacked!

Big12 Championship Game appearance in Year 1 or bust!

Last edited:
Reactions: Central Floridave
Aside from Boise State (31), UCF does not face a 2023 opponent that ranked in the top 60 nationally in rushing defense.

UCF went 5-0 last year when averaging 5.5+ yards per carry and was 7-0 when rushing for more than 210 yards in 2022.

UCF went 0-4 in games that it failed to rush for at least 160 rushing yards.

Tulane (69) is the only team with a rushing defense outside the top 50 to beat UCF, which played with a third string quarterback and injured quarterback in the game. ECU (19), Duke (27), and Navy (3) all finished among the top 50.

Last edited:
Reactions: PositYourself
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT