ADVERTISEMENT

Rut Roh: Big 12/ACC on board with new CFP format, per report (lank)

Moving fast, guess B12 commish is content with making it a basketball conference first.

Moving fast, guess B12 commish is content with making it a basketball conference first.
I think it signifies that the ACC and Big 12 are afraid of being left out of the real CFP, so they caved under pressure.

Again, given this format, Gus Malzahn would have taken Auburn to CFP in 2013, 2017, 2019, and *possibly* 2016. It is amazing when you think about it. No more than 2 or 3 active coaches in America have done that!

@LoboCane

Besides the obvious way this duopoly is bad for college football, it probably doesn't bode well for the ACC/B12 in the long run. You know some of the programs outside of the obvious (FSU, Clemson) are not going to be willing to take that difference in payout. If the B10 and SEC take what remaining "elite" programs are left, everyone else is relegated back to a psuedo G5.

Not sure if accurate, but I also read that B12 gets a higher payout than ACC. Don’t think FSU will like UCF getting more CFP money every year, on top of higher TV payouts too… will accelerate their exit.

which is sort of the opposite of UCF’s strength. We have advantages for Football that we will never have for basketball

Not sure if accurate, but I also read that B12 gets a higher payout than ACC. Don’t think FSU will like UCF getting more CFP money every year, on top of higher TV payouts too… will accelerate their exit.
The quoted Dodd post above says ACC gets more 17% …Big 12 15%

Why is there a predetermined amount each conference gets? Why not just give x amount per school that makes the tourney?

Exactly. The Big 12, ACC, and G5 are unworthy and should be thankful to have a seat at the table from the perspective of the SEC & B1G.
This is a good deal to a school like UAB. Have no shot of making CFP but get paid. Why not incentivize actually making it? Not just giving money to everyone blindly.

This is a good deal to a school like UAB. Have no shot of making CFP but get paid. Why not incentivize actually making it? Not just giving money to everyone blindly.
Could be a compromise that they know majority of at-large build will only come from SEC/Big 10

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT