ADVERTISEMENT

Salary Cap NIL money

connerito

Four-Star Recruit
Jan 10, 2005

I agree with it being that we have devalued education n made these guys paid athletes

(Ironic that Dartmouth basketball brought this issue to unionize. They are horrid basketball players but I guess they are playing the long game to represent those who can actually play later in life )

I agree with it being that we have devalued education n made these guys paid athletes

(Ironic that Dartmouth basketball brought this issue to unionize. They are horrid basketball players but I guess they are playing the long game to represent those who can actually play later in life )
I agree 100% and we are now allowing schools to do what in the past would have caused them to receive some serious sanctions. It's a loophole to allow boosters to buyf athletes. I think it is a terrible thing for all sports and needs to be stopped or at least reined in.

Reactions: connerito
There would be loopholes in that too. Deferred payments or sign a kid to low amounts and pay a relative a bunch of money. That would be a waste of time to have a cap. Too easy to circumvent.

Great interview yesterday on the in's and out's of NIL, i.e. how player's contracts are set, whether get can the money once they transfer or if their performance goes down.

Reactions: connerito
Isn't that the same coach that had hookers on campus during recruiting trips? lol now he wants rules.

Salary Caps work, legally, in professional sports because of collective bargaining agreements.

How the hell would that work? "Every car dealership owner in America agrees to these rules set forth by a bunch of NCAA coaches?"

That's nonsense. The cat is out of the bag now, you're not putting it back in.

Reactions: VFL1970 and Yaes
I would like to see a set of rules that makes it fair for everyone in the same division. So Division 1 would get to spend up to $X, Division 2 up to $X, and Division 3 up to $X. They can defer payments or whatever they want but it should be based on cash payments and the MSRP of non-cash payments (kind of like how they do prizes for game shows). They should have to file something with the IRS and then the same filing is used by the NCAA for compliance. Errors on these reports should have stiff IRS penalties on top of the NCAA imposing penalties as well. If the IRS is involved with the filing, it should give those new 90,000 IRS agents something to work on.

Other options include the NCAA requiring standard contract language with options on the term and payments. This would allow players and the school to negotiate how long they will be there and how much they will be paid. You could incentivize players not to transfer as frequently by contractually making them sit out a year or something similar. If they plan on jumping schools, they can negotiate a shorter term. But make the payment process the same - weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly paychecks over the term. That would avoid deferring payments, etc.

There are still ways you can incentivize players to attend your school over your competition. Facilities, Coaching Staff, and education are also things the players should be looking at as well.

I would like to see a set of rules that makes it fair for everyone in the same division. So Division 1 would get to spend up to $X, Division 2 up to $X, and Division 3 up to $X. They can defer payments or whatever they want but it should be based on cash payments and the MSRP of non-cash payments (kind of like how they do prizes for game shows). They should have to file something with the IRS and then the same filing is used by the NCAA for compliance. Errors on these reports should have stiff IRS penalties on top of the NCAA imposing penalties as well. If the IRS is involved with the filing, it should give those new 90,000 IRS agents something to work on.

Other options include the NCAA requiring standard contract language with options on the term and payments. This would allow players and the school to negotiate how long they will be there and how much they will be paid. You could incentivize players not to transfer as frequently by contractually making them sit out a year or something similar. If they plan on jumping schools, they can negotiate a shorter term. But make the payment process the same - weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly paychecks over the term. That would avoid deferring payments, etc.

There are still ways you can incentivize players to attend your school over your competition. Facilities, Coaching Staff, and education are also things the players should be looking at as well.
I agree with you.

No set of rules will make everyone happy from the get-go but it would provide the framework from which they can tweak over time. I think the schools are very shy due to further blurring the line between employee/employer. That opens a whole new set of predicaments that the schools do not want....

does onlyfans have a salary cap? NO, if its good for one its good for the other, no cap on NIL.

sorry we don't have infinite $ but the players aren't the ones to punish.

Reactions: VFL1970
does onlyfans have a salary cap? NO, if its good for one its good for the other, no cap on NIL.

sorry we don't have infinite $ but the players aren't the ones to punish.
I see the argument both ways in regards to how much you can earn. However there are other options that don't affect payments:
If players transfer prior to graduation, they must sit out for 1 year.
Strictly enforce rules regarding grades - if you're not making grades, you are not eligible to play.
Require players to be full time students actively working towards a specific degree. Players must be on track to earn 30 credits per year and graduate within 4 years. If that means 12 hours in the fall, 12 hours in the summer, and 6 hours over the summer so be it.

Personally, I believe something akin to sitting out a year would be all that you need to do. Exceptions should be made if you have completed your college degree. Then you're free to transfer at will.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT