ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship/recruit numbers

drbucf

Four-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2010
Is it just me or does the scholarships available vs number of recruits just not add up?

Barnette, Blair, Karrell, and Williams (and possibly DeVon Walker) coming in, plus Newell and Chandler as transfers. We only have Rompza, McCombs, Gaynor, and J. Jordan as seniors..

In addition, we will probably have our number of scholarships in basketball reduced due to NCAA violations.

Am I missing something? Do you think Donnie Jones knows of players leaving after this year (i.e. Clanton)?

It doesn't add up (and J. Jordan is non-scholarship):

SR - M. Jordan, Clanton, Crittle, Reed
JR - Spurlock, Sykes
SO - Days, Wilson, Martin, Newell
FR - Barnette, Williams, Blair, Karell

That's 14 scholarships against 13 max. Something's gotta give, but usually this takes care of itself. I can think of one or more of 4 scenarios that can make it work.

Originally posted by Hoops McKnight*:
It doesn't add up (and J. Jordan is non-scholarship):

SR - M. Jordan, Clanton, Crittle, Reed
JR - Spurlock, Sykes
SO - Days, Wilson, Martin, Newell
FR - Barnette, Williams, Blair, Karell

That's 14 scholarships against 13 max. Something's gotta give, but usually this takes care of itself. I can think of one or more of 4 scenarios that can make it work.

Clanton will be gone next year.

One of the major changes from Kirk, who would keep players even if they didn't pan out. With Jones, it's up or out. If you can't crack the 10 man rotation or show major upside potential, you're pushed out. Sounds harsh but at least it's honest and direct. Coach is actively and continuously recruiting nationally for transfers because that's what the college game has become. Dramatic changes in the roster year to year, but it's a controlled chaos because he's plugging in seniors for needs two years out. Speraw couldn't do that because it took a full year to feel confortable with his system. With Jones, it's mostly about conditioning and not playing selfish. That's easier to teach.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin or Wilson leave.
glasses.gif

Originally posted by UCFProf:
One of the major changes from Kirk, who would keep players even if they didn't pan out. With Jones, it's up or out. If you can't crack the 10 man rotation or show major upside potential, you're pushed out. Sounds harsh but at least it's honest and direct. Coach is actively and continuously recruiting nationally for transfers because that's what the college game has become. Dramatic changes in the roster year to year, but it's a controlled chaos because he's plugging in seniors for needs two years out. Speraw couldn't do that because it took a full year to feel confortable with his system. With Jones, it's mostly about conditioning and not playing selfish. That's easier to teach.

FYI...Speraw did have some players who left because they couldn't hack it in CUSA, or have academic and/or off the court issues, plus some with career ending injuries like Yotio (from Kirk's last few years think Andre Thornton, Chris Baez, Cordell Pope, Tony Davis, RJ Scott amongst others).

Kirk did a pretty good job recruiting some JUCO kids that only had 2 years of eligibility in most cases...so there was less risk (i.e. proven to play at some post-HS level) vs relying on all HS recruits...as some HS kids just want be able to make the transition to college ball, regardless who the coach is...which is why most teams end up with 4-5 scholarships (or more) each and every year...because of the "wash out" rate.

DJ has some transfer kids trying to fill roles but I do like his mostly concentrated effort to sign HS kids...because that is what will help the program grow in the long-run...and while 1 or 2 of those kids each year may not make it (in the big boy leagues), odds are, those freshmen will move on...and others will be signed to take their place.

Also remember for most of Kirk's career at UCF, he was basically penalized by the old NCAA 5-8 rule which limited the number of signees you could sign (max of 5 per year and 8 every two years) which hurt UCF a few times prior to joining CUSA.

Originally posted by ed4ucf:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Martin or Wilson leave.
glasses.gif

What you talking about? Kasey and Wayne are not going anywhere. They are just freshmen but they will surprise you as time goes on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT