ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost: Do or Die Season

WTF??? Frost didn't show a lot of respect to UCF's fans, alumni, boosters, etc.???? :oops:

Frost announced he was leaving the program for a $35 million dollar contract to go home but told Nebraska officials that he would accept their offer under one condition: he wanted him and his coaches to stay with the team through the bowl game.

To do this, Frost and his coaches burned the candle from both ends during the weeks leading up to the game. If the team tanked in their bowl, you MIGHT have been able to opine that the coaches' double-duty business screwed up the team's mojo. But instead what happened? Frost and Company lead UCF to an upset win against one of those mighty SEC teams who we were told dismissively before the game would make mincemeat out of the Knights.

Tell me, how in the world was THAT disrespectful to UCF??!?
Tell it bro…
Never understood this sentiment of hate toward him. Most people can’t seem to take a step back and look at situations when emotions are involved. Frost brought our program to national relevance, left only to go to the college he grew up with, played for and won a National Championship, while also getting a $3 mil raise. No one stays to coach a bowl game after getting hired somewhere, they are supposed to and usually required to get on the road to recruit (I.e. Norvell to FSU and Kelly to LSU most recently).

Last edited:
I respect that Scott Frost coached us in the bowl game. Not many coaches would do that. However, I don't care how he does at Nebraska. He wasn't at UCF long enough for me to care about his success after he left.
I do think he is probably in trouble if Nebraska don't get to a bowl game this season.

frost is always good in my book. how he's doing at nebraska has nothing to do with his time here at UCF. the greatest 2 years by a coach ever. usually for someone to do in 2 years what he did you have to inherit a winning team.
He may not have inherited a winning team, but he sure inherited a bunch of ”winners”. And yes, he recruited very well too and concentrated mainly on fast athletic FLORIDA players.
Frost was exactly what this program needed at that time... A huge breath of fresh air and someone who could inject vitality and excitement into a program/team that had become very stagnant under the stodgy, inflexible O’Leary.
I wasn’t happy about some of the things Frost did and said during and after his departure from UCF, but our program owes him (and ADDW) a huge “thank you” for everything he brought to the table and accomplished in his short time as a Knight.

I never had the animosity towards him that many others did. He resurrected the football program from the dead after an 0-12 season, completely modernized the program, and of course led us to the undefeated season. We are still reaping the rewards that he brought. If we hired some other retread coach after GOL, we could very well still be stuck in a similar position as USF is now. When he left, he stuck around for the bowl game… you don’t see anyone else doing that.
I have no ill will towards Frost at all. Who would not go coach their Alma Mater. It was his dream job. That said, he didn't "resurrect" anything. Much of that team Frost won with had key recruits from GOL by the way. That 0-12 team was stocked with an abundance of youth and little seasoned leadership. Not taking anything away from the job Frost did but we were far from a "dead program".

frost is always good in my book. how he's doing at nebraska has nothing to do with his time here at UCF. the greatest 2 years by a coach ever. usually for someone to do in 2 years what he did you have to inherit a winning team.
You don’t think a coach winning back to back championships is better than what he did in 2 years?

You don’t think a coach winning back to back championships is better than what he did in 2 years?
lots of coaches have done that (even though you took it to a general two year period in a coach's tenure, i was specifically talking about their first 2 years). larry coker in his first 2 years went to two national championship games, won one and lost the other in overtime, but the big difference is that he inherited greatness and slowly ran the program into the ground. how many have taken a winless team to undefeated in two years though?

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
lots of coaches have done that (even though you took it to a general two year period in a coach's tenure, i was specifically talking about their first 2 years). larry coker in his first 2 years went to two national championship games, won one and lost the other in overtime, but the big difference is that he inherited greatness and slowly ran the program into the ground. how many have taken a winless team to undefeated in two years though?
How many teams go winless yearly? Some schools never have.

Nebraska/Northwestern is the most undeserving game to be in Ireland.
Its a joke.
The game was never about which teams were 'deserving' of such a game.

First, most games are televised nowadays so the TV part is no biggie. But I would imagine two Big 10 teams squaring off to start the season will draw in pretty decent ratings.

More importantly, Ireland is doing this for the money. Nebraska -- despite all of its recent suckyness -- has a huge following. Officials are reporting that over 23,000 are expected to travel from the US and Europe for the game.

Keep in mind, this is for two programs that had losing records last year -- and Northwestern, even during its best seasons, has never been known for its fan following on the road. That's a pretty good 'restart' for the country's international tourism if you ask me.

The game was never about which teams were 'deserving' of such a game.

First, most games are televised nowadays so the TV part is no biggie. But I would imagine two Big 10 teams squaring off to start the season will draw in pretty decent ratings.

More importantly, Ireland is doing this for the money. Nebraska -- despite all of its recent suckyness -- has a huge following. Officials are reporting that over 23,000 are expected to travel from the US and Europe for the game.

Keep in mind, this is for two programs that had losing records last year -- and Northwestern, even during its best seasons, has never been known for its fan following on the road. That's a pretty good 'restart' for the country's international tourism if you ask me.
Didn’t even realize they’d be playing a game over there this year.

One of the angles they played up when UCF / Penn St played was that both coaches were of Irish heritage.

Is there an “angle” for picking these two teams?

Is there an “angle” for picking these two teams?
The 'angle' was to pit Nebraska against a team that would be willing to give up its home date to play in Ireland.

Originally, this game was supposed to have happened last year with Nebraska and Illinois -- then COVID hit and it was cancelled and rescheduled for this year against Northwestern.

That said, NW's coach is Pat Fitzgerald. :)

Reactions: Knight Strength
The 'angle' was to pit Nebraska against a team that would be willing to give up its home date to play in Ireland.

Originally, this game was supposed to have happened last year with Nebraska and Illinois -- then COVID hit and it was cancelled and rescheduled for this year against Northwestern.

That said, NW's coach is Pat Fitzgerald. :)
And Frost is a redhead. It works!

thanks for the background.

1628696232950.jpeg

Is this serious?

Whose doing DC at Nebraska? Same guy as we had? For Frost it was kinda returning to first love. His BFF bond with Chanader (sp?) and personal problems have sank his golden / wonder boy rating. But he’s rich at this point so he can coach little league for the rest of his life after current gig and still be well off. He had a great chance to stay in the national headlines at UCF for all this time. Oh well we’re better off even after he left which is a testimony to UCF.

Reactions: Central Floridave
Whose doing DC at Nebraska? Same guy as we had? For Frost it was kinda returning to first love. His BFF bond with Chanader (sp?) and personal problems have sank his golden / wonder boy rating. But he’s rich at this point so he can coach little league for the rest of his life after current gig and still be well off. He had a great chance to stay in the national headlines at UCF for all this time. Oh well we’re better off even after he left which is a testimony to UCF.
You could make a case that Chinander is doing a better job at Nebraska than Frost.

Frost style of play doesn't make sense in B10 or Nebraska. The whole idea behind the Oregon offense was to use smaller players and speed to make up for size and talent. The Big has no problems grabbing tons of talented big players

Spoke with a Nebraska fan yesterday at cocoa beach resort. He didn’t understand the Martinez at QB so long without replacement and said the defense gives up too many TDS at the end of game.

• Haha
Reactions: knight_tracker
Now that we discussed Frost on the hot seat where does he end up next? He's young I can't imagine he stops coaching.
Maybe replacing Dino out of Syracuse, but I don't see that as a good fit. Now replacing Wille at Florida Atlantic would be a hoot. Interesting I did not see any Big 12 coaches on the hot seat unless you include Texas Sarkisian he's not getting that job.

Tell it bro…
Never understood this sentiment of hate toward him. Most people can’t seem to take a step back and look at situations when emotions are involved. Frost brought our program to national relevance, left only to go to the college he grew up with, played for and won a National Championship, while also getting a $3 mil raise. No one stays to coach a bowl game after getting hired somewhere, they are supposed to and usually required to get on the road to recruit (I.e. Norvell to FSU and Kelly to LSU most recently).
True but he also took all our coaches, wore Nebraska colors to our championship game (the date he announced he was going to Nebraska) and most importantly completely scrubbed all UCF’s computers of the recruiting base before he left. I believe that to be UCF’s work product as they paid him to compile that information. He did some great things for “this place,” and some not so great disrespectful things too.

Reactions: sk8knight
True but he also took all our coaches, wore Nebraska colors to our championship game (the date he announced he was going to Nebraska)
^ This part is petty.

He rewarded coaches that wanted to come with him. That's just a good, loyal head coach.

The colors ... I think it was poor form, but I'm not going to knock a coach for giving a hint of his Alma Mater. I just can't. We cheer on when other coaches do it for us too. That's just petty.

That said, I have to agree with at least some of this ...
and most importantly completely scrubbed all UCF’s computers of the recruiting base before he left. I believe that to be UCF’s work product as they paid him to compile that information. He did some great things for “this place,” and some not so great disrespectful things too
Who said he "scrubbed UCF recruiting base"? That's a new one to me.
That’s been discussed since Heupel got here and discovered all the files were gone.
Yeah, I had to be educated on it as well. It happened. For those involved, that was just 'burning the bridge on the way out,' and I can understand that view of them too.

Still ... White and Frost worked it out, and he stayed and coached our Bowl. We need to put that under-the-bridge and not focus on it. If White and Frost came to an agreement ... we can respect that and not bring it up.

This is a not a point for me. Each coach recruits his/her own players for their system.
PREFACE: My apologies if I misunderstood your response.

I'm one of the biggest Scott apologists around here, but ...

You don't nuke the DB. You can recruit our own players, but ... you don't nuke the DB. If I did that at a job, took a client list or some other data, and deleted it ... I'd be not just fired, but sued and likely blacklisted.

Not copy the client list, or copy their data, and try to 'take' their clients ... but delete that company's list. Literally take the data at a company, and remove it. That's actually grounds for possibly criminal prosecution, but definitely at least civil.**

White met with Frost, and they came to an agreement. They moved on. That was good for Frost. I don't think it was Frost himself, but someone on the outbound staff.

** Never, ever do that! Ever! I don't care what they 'did to you.'

'Under no circumstances should you remove any client files, documents or other client-specific information from the firm when you leave, even if a client says they'll follow you. Your solicitation to the client should include a "form letter" for the client to send to your old firm terminating the client relationship and requesting that all files be transferred to you. (If the client owes any money to your old firm, be prepared to wait until that gets settled before you get the files.)'

It is nice to be proven right, I guess. Just about everyone on this board saw this bad fit coming. If anyone other than Frost posted the results they've had during his tenure they'd already be out the door. Nebraska calculated (correctly, IMO) that if Frost can't make that program into what it once was then no one can. They need to bite the bullet and hire a Bret Bielema type who can grind out 8-9 wins a year with focus on defense and power running offense -- the type of players you can get to go to Nebraska.

We have our own biases and blind spots as UCF alumni/fans, but the Nebraska fanbase coming to terms with their place in modern CFB is an ugly process and has completely de-railed Frost's career trajectory.
The problem is once Nebraska entered the Big 10, the number of kids going there from Texas dropped off dramatically. Same kind of drop-off in kids from SoCal as well. Those pipelines shut down, and those are talent rich areas.

2007; 7 kids from Tx
2008; 9 kids from Tx
2009; 11 kids from Tx
2010; 5 kids from Tx (last season in Big 12)
2011; 5 kids from Tx
2012; 2 kids from Tx
2021; 1 kid from Tx
2022; 1 kid from Tx

Last edited:
Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT