ADVERTISEMENT

Secret service = morons

If only there was a secure, government owned resort near the white house that Trump could spend every weekend at, instead of his wide open Mar a Lago.

Oh wait there is, but Trump doesn't personally make millions from every trip staying at camp David.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Depends on which computer he put it in. His own issued computer or on a lab computer built to investigate drives. Even if it was his own, he would just turn it over to the lab and get a new one. We periodically image our data anyways. Getting a new director is not a big deal. They usually last about 3 years and they change nothing and are not really noticed except for sending rah rah morale emails. He wasn’t fired though. Doesn’t matter though because he just maintained status quo.

Reactions: Knight_Light
While you inbred red hat morons are fellating yourself about Trump hiring shitty people and then firing them, the real story is this Chinese national whos room was found containing "in addition to the electronics she carried into the resort, Zhang also had a signal detector, five SIM cards and more than $7,600 in U.S. currency in her room"

But it's not Hillary's emails so obviously y'all don't care. National security only matters yet again when it's to the detriment of the Democrats.

Depends on which computer he put it in. His own issued computer or on a lab computer built to investigate drives. Even if it was his own, he would just turn it over to the lab and get a new one.
Nope. Sorry. The affidavit makes it clear that this was not someone trained in forensic analysis. The second he stuck it in he risked losing data. The malware on the drive could easily have been one use and erased itself. What now? There was a mention that the computer wasn't hooked up to the network. So? What if it's got an LTE modem built in and just uploaded the data to the Chinese government? Lovely.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Nope. Sorry. The affidavit makes it clear that this was not someone trained in forensic analysis. The second he stuck it in he risked losing data. The malware on the drive could easily have been one use and erased itself. What now? There was a mention that the computer wasn't hooked up to the network. So? What if it's got an LTE modem built in and just uploaded the data to the Chinese government? Lovely.

It doesn’t have any modem that could upload anything. Wouldn’t matter if anyone got the info anyways. No sensitive data is kept on laptops or phones. Nothing that couldn’t be gained by open source. You are right that it isn’t smart to put an unknown drive in since it’s against policy. It’s not damaging though. We only have access to that type of info in SCIFs or on secure phones in secured offices.

While you inbred red hat morons are fellating yourself about Trump hiring shitty people and then firing them, the real story is this Chinese national whos room was found containing "in addition to the electronics she carried into the resort, Zhang also had a signal detector, five SIM cards and more than $7,600 in U.S. currency in her room"

But it's not Hillary's emails so obviously y'all don't care. National security only matters yet again when it's to the detriment of the Democrats.

What exactly could that person have done? I’m curious how much you actually know about security. Especially layered security. Obviously it’s troubling that person was here in the US but what could they have actually done? We deal with significantly worse attempts when we travel OCONUS on a regular basis.

It doesn’t have any modem that could upload anything.
You don't know that. They could easily embed a modem into something that looks like a run of the mill flash drive.

Wouldn’t matter if anyone got the info anyways. No sensitive data is kept on laptops or phones. Nothing that couldn’t be gained by open source. You are right that it isn’t smart to put an unknown drive in since it’s against policy. It’s not damaging though. We only have access to that type of info in SCIFs or on secure phones in secured offices.
While I'm not in the SS and don't have specific insight into your practices I call bullshit. Just because information isn't classified doesn't mean it's not sensitive and can't be used to move to other devices, potentially even into classified systems. You might want to Google Stuxnet to see what sort of damage a simple flash drive can do. Doing this is against policy because it's d.u.m.b. I enjoy that you're defending this guy breaking policy and putting his actions out in the public on the record.:joy:

You don't know that. They could easily embed a modem into something that looks like a run of the mill flash drive.

While I'm not in the SS and don't have specific insight into your practices I call bullshit. Just because information isn't classified doesn't mean it's not sensitive and can't be used to move to other devices, potentially even into classified systems. You might want to Google Stuxnet to see what sort of damage a simple flash drive can do. Doing this is against policy because it's d.u.m.b. I enjoy that you're defending this guy breaking policy and putting his actions out in the public on the record.:joy:

Where did I defend him? Reading comprehension. I just stated that a breach on that computer means nothing. Believe it or not, I don’t care. One of us knows and the other speculates.

Where did I defend him? Reading comprehension. I just stated that a breach on that computer means nothing. Believe it or not, I don’t care. One of us knows and the other speculates.
You're defending him by dismissing the severity of his stupidity. I'm sorry but it's mind boggling that a secret service agent would have such poor opsec. Makes you wonder.

You're defending him by dismissing the severity of his stupidity. I'm sorry but it's mind boggling that a secret service agent would have such poor opsec. Makes you wonder.

Seems they clarified the story to state the drive was plugged into a controlled MECTF computer at the MFO. That would actually be protocol. Not some rando laptop on the floor. Not to say opsec lapses don’t happen but it appears to not be the case here. The MECTF lab is very impressive and has state of the art technology to examine just about anything electronic...in a controlled and safe environment. A lot of agencies in SFL submit evidence to that lab. Not surprised that MSM flubbed facts in a rush to put a story out. Journalism today is post first then clarify and edit later if you have to.

What exactly could that person have done? I’m curious how much you actually know about security. Especially layered security. Obviously it’s troubling that person was here in the US but what could they have actually done? We deal with significantly worse attempts when we travel OCONUS on a regular basis.

Thanks for proving my point.

That person would not have been there if this was at camp David, and it is very troubling that they were there. I agree with you.

Thanks for proving my point.

That person would not have been there if this was at camp David, and it is very troubling that they were there. I agree with you.

What does Camp David have to do with anything?

Depends on which computer he put it in. His own issued computer or on a lab computer built to investigate drives. Even if it was his own, he would just turn it over to the lab and get a new one. We periodically image our data anyways. Getting a new director is not a big deal. They usually last about 3 years and they change nothing and are not really noticed except for sending rah rah morale emails. He wasn’t fired though. Doesn’t matter though because he just maintained status quo.

If you were to listen to MSNBC or CNN yesterday, you would have thought that the entire Secret Service agent workforce was about to quit over tears and depression from this guy being fired by big meanie Trump.

and since I see clay responding to himself I know who is claiming to know more than him on this, and all I can say is LOL. Color me shocked that the resident nut is claiming to know more about the internal operations of the Secret Service when arguing with a Secret Service agent.

I mean holy shit.

and since I see clay responding to himself I know who is claiming to know more than him on this, and all I can say is LOL. Color me shocked that the resident nut is claiming to know more about the internal operations of the Secret Service when arguing with a Secret Service agent.

I mean holy shit.

Of course you post literal bullshit lies yet again. I never once claimed to know more than him. I in fact said I agree with him, it's very troubling that this spy was in such close proximity to Trump.

All you do is lie on here.

Are you pretending to be a moron for arguments sake, or genuinely asking?

No potus in the recent past (44/43) stayed at Camp David exclusively. 43 favored his ranch, 44 predictably spent 3 weeks in Hawaii and 3 weeks at the Vineyard every single year at the exact same time. Everywhere presents unique challenges. Mar a lago is no different. The Service always figures out a way to get the job done. The job would be significantly easier if they just stayed at the WH or Camp David but that isn’t realistic.

Reactions: UCFKnight85
Of course you post literal bullshit lies yet again. I never once claimed to know more than him. I in fact said I agree with him, it's very troubling that this spy was in such close proximity to Trump.

All you do is lie on here.

Do you really think that this person was inside the working shift bubble? I’m curious about how little you might know. The Service catches people probing at nearly every event. It’s ok if you don’t know because the general public and MSM tend to know extremely little about how things work.

Reactions: UCFKnight85
Agreed.

He basically doesn’t have to keep anyone who is incompetent or doesn’t see it his way. No different than when he was running businesses. Not sure what’s wrong with that.
im ok with trump turning bad people over. i think everyone is ok with that actually. i just find it a little concerning that trump has a high turn over compared to others. maybe thats a good thing, maybe its bad. on the surface, it seems concerning is all.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
im ok with trump turning bad people over. i think everyone is ok with that actually. i just find it a little concerning that trump has a high turn over compared to others. maybe thats a good thing, maybe its bad. on the surface, it seems concerning is all.

The Service has gone through 5 directors in the last 10 years. Turnover seems to be par for the course. It’s what happens when you direct an agency whose workforce works 70 hr weeks and nights/weekends/holidays. Also, you have to be around politicians nonstop. I did a joint investigation with an FBI agent once who told me he had worked 2 weekends in 7 years. Most federal agencies are M-F 9-5. The Service has the exact same retirement as those agencies. The extra time worked is not allowed in the retirement calculation leading to zero incentive to stay once you are seasoned. Transfer to a different agency and work normal hours for the exact same retirement. You can’t make more than the most Jr Congressman, no matter how many hours you work. The Service has biweekly caps on pay and if you exceed that, they hold your pay without interest for a year then give it to you taxed at a bonus rate. It’s difficult to make people happy because of these challenges. The directors have little power to do much because Congress doesn’t allow it.

It’s common in the business world. Executive and leadership positions are constantly in flux in large companies. In and of itself, I don’t see a reason for concern. In fact, it’s probably a better model than the individual fiefdom model that exists in so many federal government bureaucracies.

It’s common in the business world. Executive and leadership positions are constantly in flux in large companies. In and of itself, I don’t see a reason for concern. In fact, it’s probably a better model than the individual fiefdom model that exists in so many federal government bureaucracies.
maybe thats the way it should be idk. it just seems like other past presidents didnt have as much turn over. i think there is something to stability though.

maybe thats the way it should be idk. it just seems like other past presidents didnt have as much turn over. i think there is something to stability though.
Stability is nice as long as your stable people are good and committed to the job.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Do you really think that this person was inside the working shift bubble? I’m curious about how little you might know. The Service catches people probing at nearly every event. It’s ok if you don’t know because the general public and MSM tend to know extremely little about how things work.

I literally agreed with what you said, it is troubling that this person was there. Are you changing your story now?

I literally agreed with what you said, it is troubling that this person was there. Are you changing your story now?

No. Just saying it’s not unusual. 99% of stuff that happens doesn’t get media attention.

No. Just saying it’s not unusual. 99% of stuff that happens doesn’t get media attention.

It's not unusual to apprehend a foreign national with 4 cell phones, thousands of dollars in cash and malware laden electronics? Interesting. Must be a cool job if that's not unusual! Thanks for the insight.

It's not unusual to apprehend a foreign national with 4 cell phones, thousands of dollars in cash and malware laden electronics? Interesting. Must be a cool job if that's not unusual! Thanks for the insight.

There is no such thing as a surprise anymore with what the Service finds and deals with frequently. As technology evolves, so do the threats and countermeasures (mostly classified).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT