ADVERTISEMENT

Shaquill Griffin pre-combine analysis

Mikesi

Diamond Knight
Oct 17, 2013
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/shaquill-griffin?id=2558259&id=2558259

Personally, I think that UCF has done a pretty good job of recruiting quality, athletic DBs and putting them in the NFL the past several years.

To see teams with good, but not great WRs like Michigan. South Carolina, Arkansas State, Tulsa, etc., burn us for big plays the past 2 years has been very disappointing and needs to end. Hopefully, with the new group in 2017 we will eventually get things back on track.

Last edited:
Seems like all his negatives are around his speed. If he runs well in the 40, it will boost his stock a lot.

Seems like all his negatives are around his speed. If he runs well in the 40, it will boost his stock a lot.
He has decent size, outrageous pass deflection numbers, and shut down several top receivers. He's a credit to the proud tradition of UCF lock down corners.

That's the part that was actually way off. He's actually very fast. That's his BIGGEST POSITIVE
And he's valuable for a later round draft pick because of his versatility as either a corner or safety for dime and nickle, man-to-man or zone. Great hands and breakaway speed for INTs, too. Sure he'll have a lot to learn, but he's a quick study and hard worker.

Personally, I think that UCF has done a pretty good job of recruiting quality, athletic DBs and putting them in the NFL the past several years.

To see teams with good, but not great WRs like Michigan. South Carolina, Arkansas State, Tulsa, etc., burn us for big plays the past 2 years has been very disappointing and needs to end. Hopefully, with the new group in 2017 we will eventually get things back on track.

2017 group is full of studs (on the starting end, depth is my concern possibly). Our corners are much more athletic, natural cover corners. Last few years have been hard hitters who get burned.

Reactions: Mikesi
Adams (WR) ran a 4.42 and Mack (RB) a 4.50. Considering some of the country's best RB prospects ran 4.48-4.51, we haven't been going against a bunch of slugs the past 3-4 years. USF, the AAC and Florida DOES have speed. However, Adams is not the most skilled WR to say the least. Lots of drops

In addition, the WR from Michigan who burned Griffin a few times ran a 4.45

Adams (WR) ran a 4.42 and Mack (RB) a 4.50. Considering some of the country's best RB prospects ran 4.48-4.51, we haven't been going against a bunch of slugs the past 3-4 years. USF, the AAC and Florida DOES have speed. However, Adams is not the most skilled WR to say the least. Lots of drops

Darboh? Ross today ran a 4.22. Fastest since they stopped hand times.

Do you recall whether he got Griffin to bite on his routes, crossing patterns where he got a running start on Griffin, or was it just his pure speed? Also, their QB also was hitting everything that moved, which Frost's crew could never have expected base of the game films.

Do you recall whether he got Griffin to bite on his routes, crossing patterns where he got a running start on Griffin, or was it just his pure speed? Also, their QB also was hitting everything that moved, which Frost's crew could never have expected base of the game films.
I was there and it was a combination of everything that you mentioned.

Probably had too much time to throw as well

Adams is probably not the best route runner bc the majority of his catches at USF were bubble screens were he would make a defender miss and take off.

Temple's Reddick also ran a 4.52, knew he would a be a good NFL prospect watching him

Adams is probably not the best route runner bc the majority of his catches at USF were bubble screens were he would make a defender miss and take off.

Temple's Reddick also ran a 4.52, knew he would a be a good NFL prospect watching him
That's a ridiculous time. I know they usually review it and make it official
Well..., maybe that's why Milton couldn't get around him. That says a lot. Propts to Temple for recruiting and developing an athlete of that caliber.

Reactions: Miltonian
Have they released official times for DBs yet. Looked like Shaquill had an unofficial 40 of 4.39

And a 2nd run of 4.40 -- that's consistency! His 15 pass deflections/break ups is an outstanding stat about his coverage, made all the more impressive by how he was always assigned to cover the best receiver and quarterbacks tended not to risk passing to his man.

Was 100% the fact that griffin got out schemed as did our whole offense. There was never a straight fly he got burned on, rather layered patterns that leave the DB on an island with 2-3 receivers because a safety blew coverage.

I knew he was 4.45 or better. I predicted it weeks ago. He ran a nice 100 meters when he was 17-18 for his HS track team and he looks fast on the field. Didn't he take an INT 80 yards to the house last year?

And a 2nd run of 4.40 -- that's consistency! His 15 pass deflections/break ups is an outstanding stat about his coverage, made all the more impressive by how he was always assigned to cover the best receiver and quarterbacks tended not to risk passing to his man.
Honestly, he's fast, but his coverage technlques are very raw/flawed. I have to disagree with your assessment from watching him play up close. He relies too much on his speed. At best he will go in the rounds 5-6, but unlikely.

Honestly, he's fast, but his coverage technlques are very raw/flawed. I have to disagree with your assessment from watching him play up close. He relies too much on his speed. At best he will go in the rounds 5-6, but unlikely.
Exactly, hes a homerun hitter basically. Either he gets the pick/break up or he gets burned.

Reactions: Mikesi

From the link/write-up:
WEAKNESSES
Long speed is very average and will allow some vertical separation against speedsters​

Runs a 4.39 40. LOL

Exactly, hes a homerun hitter basically. Either he gets the pick/break up or he gets burned.
Going for break ups is not usually the same move as breaking on an INT (which he also had 4 of). That usually the job of the safety anyway. The most recent 100 comments here about Griffin getting beat were frustration venting because UCF had one of the leading defenses in the conference after the first few games, but suddenly started giving up tons of scores JUST LIKE MOST OTHER AAC SCHOOLS did ALL SEASON (including USF). Shaquil couldn't help that the offense couldn't get a first down for love or money; and once our thin D Line got hurt teams stopped passing against us because running up the middle was a sure thing! So dbacks, on the field the entire game, had to increasingly help out against the run, making them easy marks for run-pass options. Shaquil is not raw any longer. He may never be all pro, but he's a sure bet for any team that drafts him.

Going for break ups is not usually the same move as breaking on an INT (which he also had 4 of). That usually the job of the safety anyway. The most recent 100 comments here about Griffin getting beat were frustration venting because UCF had one of the leading defenses in the conference after the first few games, but suddenly started giving up tons of scores JUST LIKE MOST OTHER AAC SCHOOLS did ALL SEASON (including USF). Shaquil couldn't help that the offense couldn't get a first down for love or money; and once our thin D Line got hurt teams stopped passing against us because running up the middle was a sure thing! So dbacks, on the field the entire game, had to increasingly help out against the run, making them easy marks for run-pass options. Shaquil is not raw any longer. He may never be all pro, but he's a sure bet for any team that drafts him.
Sure bet?? Really?

"That guy's got nice feet, I like his feet" Deion Sanders on "Shaq".
"Shaq's had a good field workout today. He's helped himself" Maylock or some other announcer.

yeah we are all rooting for him but just watching him play he seemed to lose the ball way too often

And of course, they do a micro segment mentioning Shaquill's brother, again. "You made some money today" Deion told Shaq.

Yeah, every opponent blew us out through their air game -- Michigan and none others!
bc most of the QBs in the conference last season are spread run first QBs or just terrible(UCONN). A schedule with more offenses like Tulsa for example would expose him in coverage

bc most of the QBs in the conference last season are spread run first QBs or just terrible(UCONN). A schedule with more offenses like Tulsa for example would expose him in coverage
Bull. Only ECU was forced to pass because they got so far behind. The other teams got below their season averages, sometime way below, on passing. I just checked all the stats. I just don't know where all this hate is coming from. He was our only star senior, Frost has assured us he'll be playing on Sundays for years. Go after another player for a change, all of you.

I don't know if you've ever tried to field a punt. These guys make it look easy, but it's definitely a skill you need time to learn.
Yeah, id rather have slow kids who i know will catch and wont fumble than a kid who can burn everyone but i always have to worry about him dropping the ball or fumbling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT