ADVERTISEMENT

Should Donnie get his resume updated? Looking at the schedule......

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
We have nothing but tough conference play left!

We can easily go sub .500 this year again. OK, so we let Donnie Build.

Let's say next year we go just above .500 next year??

It's going to be interesting to see what Danny White does.

Thoughts? :)

I could see him going either way. He know we are coming of sanctions, So I easily could see giving him next year to see where we are and where are we going. Then again I could see him deciding to bring in his own guy.

I was really hoping for massive improvement this season. We are clearly better than last year, but it doesn't seem like we are improving in the season. I'm leaning giving him until next year but definitely need to see more positives by end of season.

Yeah I don't see how we get over .500 with the remaining schedule. We needed that Memphis win at home. I see spurts of a good team then I see spurts of pure laziness on defense.

Time to get the psychologists out, has White shown any patience with basketball- his sport? I don't think he did in Buffalo. Hard to resist the excitement of the football team starting over, why not spread that to basketball instead of waiting. Fairness and giving a guy a chance might not matter.

Time to get the psychologists out, has White shown any patience with basketball- his sport? I don't think he did in Buffalo. Hard to resist the excitement of the football team starting over, why not spread that to basketball instead of waiting. Fairness and giving a guy a chance might not matter.

If I was white (LOL) I'd ask the players after the season if Donnie can lead this team. If he lost the players, move on to a new coach. If the players are going to rally around the coach and play with urgency, give him another year especially if we get BJ back.

I'm not a fan of hire and fire, but sometimes a change is needed.

If I was white (LOL) I'd ask the players after the season if Donnie can lead this team. If he lost the players, move on to a new coach. If the players are going to rally around the coach and play with urgency, give him another year especially if we get BJ back.

I'm not a fan of hire and fire, but sometimes a change is needed.
That is actually a great idea!!! I like it.

All that matters is our record at the end of the season. Watch some games, attend practices and he would already be talking to DJ and his staff on a regular basis. That tells you everything you need to know. You don't need to ask any players their opinion. It's not a junior achievement club....it's a big money, big time basketball team/program and he is the AD....his call.

the WBB Coach is guaranteed to get fired, they are historically bad
What do you mean historically bad? I believe they won like 3 conference titles in C-USA.

Now I'm not saying that she may not get let go but coach Williams did win some games early on when she arrived.

Honestly, it's not any women's sport that's an issue for UCF now or even in the future. The fact is we would never talk about non-revenue sports on this board if FB and BB where competing for conference titles, going to bowls and making post season BB tournaments each year.

So the bottom line is BB needs to win and Donnie has really run out of time. Next year isn't going to change the fact that you need a coach who can lure better players here. When he tried to get better players he broke the rules and got caught. I really think coach Jones one chance to stick here went out the door when he got all those 4 star commits last year then they decommitted. Coach Jones isn't a good X's and O's guy. He was suppose to be a big time recruiter. I think our recruits have gotten better but it's still not good enough to compete at a high level in this conference.

I still don't think he's getting the best play and hustle out of his current players. I'm tired of hearing players say we didn't do enough or play hard enough. That's what a coach is for, to bring the best of the players on the field of competition. So we will see how it goes but I truly think Coach Jones has one audition and it's this season.

In order for women sports to succeed you needs lots of revenue from FB. The Lady Georgia Bulldogs BB team fly's private charter. Our men's team doesn't event do that. So how can our Men's BB much less women's BB compete for top recruits. So I guess it's not all coach Jones fault but he's not even controlling the things that he can control.

We need money at UCF and nothing else. Money, Money, Money, and more Money if we ever want to win big and get into a power 5.

One of the main reasons Louisville got the ACC invite was because they had athletic revenues that were around $85millon without the TV revenue money. You have to show the big boys that you can raise money and then I think the market is secondary.

What do you mean historically bad? I believe they won like 3 conference titles in C-USA.

Now I'm not saying that she may not get let go but coach Williams did win some games early on when she arrived.

Honestly, it's not any women's sport that's an issue for UCF now or even in the future. The fact is we would never talk about non-revenue sports on this board if FB and BB where competing for conference titles, going to bowls and making post season BB tournaments each year.

So the bottom line is BB needs to win and Donnie has really run out of time. Next year isn't going to change the fact that you need a coach who can lure better players here. When he tried to get better players he broke the rules and got caught. I really think coach Jones one chance to stick here went out the door when he got all those 4 star commits last year then they decommitted. Coach Jones isn't a good X's and O's guy. He was suppose to be a big time recruiter. I think our recruits have gotten better but it's still not good enough to compete at a high level in this conference.

I still don't think he's getting the best play and hustle out of his current players. I'm tired of hearing players say we didn't do enough or play hard enough. That's what a coach is for, to bring the best of the players on the field of competition. So we will see how it goes but I truly think Coach Jones has one audition and it's this season.

In order for women sports to succeed you needs lots of revenue from FB. The Lady Georgia Bulldogs BB team fly's private charter. Our men's team doesn't event do that. So how can our Men's BB much less women's BB compete for top recruits. So I guess it's not all coach Jones fault but he's not even controlling the things that he can control.

We need money at UCF and nothing else. Money, Money, Money, and more Money if we ever want to win big and get into a power 5.

One of the main reasons Louisville got the ACC invite was because they had athletic revenues that were around $85millon without the TV revenue money. You have to show the big boys that you can raise money and then I think the market is secondary.
exactly

I'm not going to pretend to know about WBB but a quick check of the schedule shows them losing to USF by 45 points and not being competitive in most of their conference games

Joi Williams's career record with the WBB team is 111-156 (.416). Below .500 last 5 seasons. So pretty bad.

If Donnie finishes bottom-3 in the AAC for a third year in a row, I think White will have a tough decision to make. If they show improvement and finish more middle of the pack, then I think he gets another year. But if it's bottom-3 again, he's not giving White much of a reason to keep him.

I think based on things White has said about the MBB program, he wants there to be excitement around the program. There hasn't been any of that for a while. The attendance is poor and interest is low, which happens when you lose.

What if the only real missing piece is a true point guard, which we don't have this year? Most people consider the point guard to be as important as a QB in football.

Yea, Donnie is the one who only recruited one true point guard (or could only get one to commit/sign). But having BJ healthy this year likely increases our win total by at least three or four so far this year.

What if the only real missing piece is a true point guard, which we don't have this year? Most people consider the point guard to be as important as a QB in football.

Yea, Donnie is the one who only recruited one true point guard (or could only get one to commit/sign). But having BJ healthy this year likely increases our win total by at least three or four so far this year.

All true fans realize the major loss of BJ Taylor this year...but since many of those that complain have never really followed UCF much in the past...they don't understand on how big a loss it really is. (While others do but they don't care as they want to push their agenda to get someone fired).

UCF lost their entire starting backcourt from last year (BJ Taylor and Goodwin), which is a double whammy when you can't replace even one of them at the last minute (Goodwin was kicked out of the program back in June, basically way too late to sign a quality type player when none are obviously available).

That's also why so many of us are excited about next year...as can you imagine how many alley ooops Tacko will be getting next year when BJ drives the lane?

Everyone has seen how improved AJ Davis (redshirt soph) is now vs his true freshmen season at Tenn...and then match him with BJ Taylor (redshirt Soph), Williams (Senior), McBride (Senior), Henriquez (Junior), McSpadden (Soph), let alone incoming inside/outside players with size like 6' 8" Hazen...

Future looks bright...and players getting more mins this year because of Taylor's absence, (especially McSpadden), should benefit greatly...as McSpadden can play his natural 2 spot...and become a much more dangerous scoring threat but inside and out.

Is it smart to bank on Taylor ever returning to 100%? Are other options being explored?

Ding Ding....winner!

All true fans realize the major loss of BJ Taylor this year...but since many of those that complain have never really followed UCF much in the past...they don't understand on how big a loss it really is. (While others do but they don't care as they want to push their agenda to get someone fired).

UCF lost their entire starting backcourt from last year (BJ Taylor and Goodwin), which is a double whammy when you can't replace even one of them at the last minute (Goodwin was kicked out of the program back in June, basically way too late to sign a quality type player when none are obviously available).

That's also why so many of us are excited about next year...as can you imagine how many alley ooops Tacko will be getting next year when BJ drives the lane?

Everyone has seen how improved AJ Davis (redshirt soph) is now vs his true freshmen season at Tenn...and then match him with BJ Taylor (redshirt Soph), Williams (Senior), McBride (Senior), Henriquez (Junior), McSpadden (Soph), let alone incoming inside/outside players with size like 6' 8" Hazen...

Future looks bright...and players getting more mins this year because of Taylor's absence, (especially McSpadden), should benefit greatly...as McSpadden can play his natural 2 spot...and become a much more dangerous scoring threat but inside and out.
Good points. Next year should be better. I think it's up to Donnie though to get the best out of his players.

Also, what does it matter what UCF basketball did 10 years ago? From a historical perspective, yes, we are growing.

Yes BJ could almost be the factor missing to win some of these conference games. Defense? That's another story.

What would make you think anyone has an agenda to get someone fired? I think we all want the best for UCF basketball. "Agenda"...crazy talk.

It's true that the team would be better with B.J. playing. But you might be overstating the impact of losing the "entire starting backcourt from last year," when that team only won 12 games and was one of the worst in the conference. In other words, was it that big of a loss? When we had that entire starting backcourt, the team was basically awful.

When we had that entire starting backcourt, the team was basically awful.

That's also why UCF has 4 new starters this year...and why 8 out of the top 9 scorers this year were not regular starters (or even played) last year.

Again, most believe that Tacko would have even developed quicker this year with BJ at the point...let alone BJ being able to work with McBride at the top of his game...or even newbies like AJ Davis, Williams (basically didn't play with him last year) or a much improved Shaheed Davis...and/or drawing attention/pressure away from McSpadden who could just focus on his offensive drive or shot.

I like that UNF coach. Looks like they are going dancing for the 2nd year in a row.

Excellent article. If Donnie doesn't win a significant amount of games this year, he'll be on the hot seat.
He might make it to next year but I think if he can't get it together, next year will be his last.
Interesting quote from CF Dave's article, "Yet for some reason Jones switched out of zone and back to man to man. Where Memphis was able to get back into an offensive rhyme."

Anyone know how long donnie has on his contract? I don't think it has been renewed in years. If it ends after next season would be perfect timing either way.

Last edited:
"All true fans..." lol what drivel. This isn't year two. It's been six years and it clearly isn't working. Development of players from their apparent raw talent and recruiting excitement hasn't happened that much. There are still extremely questionable game time coaching decisions.

All true fans want a competitive basketball team. We do not have one. And Donnie has done little to justify why he should get yet another year or two to just "let it play out." And "just let good things happen over time."

"All true fans..." lol what drivel. This isn't year two. It's been six years and it clearly isn't working. Development of players from their apparent raw talent and recruiting excitement hasn't happened that much. There are still extremely questionable game time coaching decisions.

All true fans want a competitive basketball team. We do not have one. And Donnie has done little to justify why he should get yet another year or two to just "let it play out." And "just let good things happen over time."

I understand your disappointment....what all true fans want is a consistent winner and not a lot of excuses....and Donnie has failed to deliver a consistent winner over the past few years....

it's obvious, to date, that he lacks the coaching skills to deliver the consistency that true fans want....but we still have games left so let's give him through end of season....we do have talent on this team so maybe we can win some of these remaining conference games, make a great showing in the conference tournament and build mo for next year....stranger things have happened

but if not, I'm confident that our AD will make the right decision, probably as soon as this season's end....I don't think he'll be influenced by the excuses that were posted above and he shouldn't be....he'll do his best to hire a coach who can navigate through the challenges and win consistently.....

I agree it is pointless to make any moves mid-season. I do not want that at all. And hell, if he puts something together the latter half of the season, then of course it gets that much harder to make a move. Maybe it'll be worth another season.

I'm just not confident anything will be put together the rest of the season. So if that keeps up, then yes, I think for the good of the program, you have to find a way to make a change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT