Votes: 42 55.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 44.7%

• Total voters

SFKnight

Five-Star Recruit
Sep 11, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Should UCF accept a classic 2:1 that Scott Stricklin claims to now support (2 in the Swamp and 1 in the Bounce House)?

Last edited:
Home and home, 1 for 1 or 2 for 2.

It would be a great series but it’s not realistic. UF has too much power in CFB for the bowls or CFP to force the matchup. It’s fine, eventually someone is going to schedule a good OOC series. I could see a rivalry with Boise State or BYU gain traction on the national stage.

I wish they’d just split the difference and play the 3rd game at camping world stadium. Don’t need to be a genius here...

I was thinking the same thing. I'd even be okay with the 3rd game being held in Jacksonville's stadium. Either location would draw a huge amount of fans.
Stricklin should be more agreeable to a neutral site game in Jax due to its proximity to G-ville and their huge Gator fan base. But UCF would draw a lot of fans there too and it would be a cash cow for both programs.
Let's make this happen.

If we had a really hard time with attendance, then yes. However, if we sell out a stadium for an FIU game we get the same amount as we would if we sold it out for UF. Right? It makes sense for USF to take all those 2fers, nobody goes to those games.

There is no real incentive for UF either. They have to play a tough team that still doesn’t have the name recognition of most P5 teams, regardless of how talented the team actually is. They can beat an unranked Duke and their season will progress the same as if they had beaten a number 9 UCF.

I wish we could get one of those Chik-fil-a kickoff games and maybe play UF there like Boise played UGA a while back. I don’t want a bowl game because players will sit out and it won’t mean as much. I don’t want to hear excuses about motivation if we win.

You have to ask yourself...Would this game make any difference in the playoff picture? If the answer is no then, there is no need. Would it hurt? No, not if it was the only 2-1 we had. 3 or four of these and you really start to have issues with home games. It might be good for bragging rights, but sometimes the argument is better than finding out. I would rather 2-1 with some other program not quite so close.

I don't think we should base our decisions on the playoff picture. There are 125 teams every year that do not make it to the playoffs. Many of them are considered highly successful programs even though they do not make the playoffs. Their success is about consistently being in the upper echelon of their conference, playing and defeating tough out of conference foes and the exposure that comes with such accomplishments and quality bowl games.

I believe that the next steps for us as a program should be to focus on consistently making it to and winning 1.) the conference championship, (This may hurt to say but, news flash, we did not make it to the CCG last year) and 2.) New Year's six games as the best G-5. Once we have CONSISTENTLY locked down these achievements, just like Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State have locked down being in the top four annually, only them should we begin to talk about the CFP as the next step for the program.

I know that the nation continues to talk about us in relationship to the CFP. This is a red herring. We should not let success of our program be defined in relationship to something that we cannot control. With only four CFP openings, our invitation to that will always depend on chaos and other things which we cannot control. We can however more reasonably control getting to our CCG and the New Year's six. In a logical progression of priorities, these accomplishments should be the next and immediate priorities guiding our program decisions.

Nah. If they think they are above playing a team that has been ranked 6 times since 2010 on fair terms, then let them schedule Colorado and Arizona State instead. You know teams that pose less of a risk for a loss and less of risk losing the perception war of automatically being a superior team to UCF.

Reactions: Knightro20
I don't think we should base our decisions on the playoff picture. There are 125 teams every year that do not make it to the playoffs. Many of them are considered highly successful programs even though they do not make the playoffs. Their success is about consistently being in the upper echelon of their conference, playing and defeating tough out of conference foes and the exposure that comes with such accomplishments and quality bowl games.

I believe that the next steps for us as a program should be to focus on consistently making it to and winning 1.) the conference championship, (This may hurt to say but, news flash, we did not make it to the CCG last year) and 2.) New Year's six games as the best G-5. Once we have CONSISTENTLY locked down these achievements, just like Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State have locked down being in the top four annually, only them should we begin to talk about the CFP as the next step for the program.

I know that the nation continues to talk about us in relationship to the CFP. This is a red herring. We should not let success of our program be defined in relationship to something that we cannot control. With only four CFP openings, our invitation to that will always depend on chaos and other things which we cannot control. We can however more reasonably control getting to our CCG and the New Year's six. In a logical progression of priorities, these accomplishments should be the next and immediate priorities guiding our program decisions.
In that context, what if 2 G5!schools go undefeated? Only we get the NY6 Bowl because of our brand? I don’t think that’s fair either.

Generally you want to strike while the iron is hot.

Every program will face down years, and when you have less money the turnaround can take longer. Every major program that has accomplished more, has more money, better facilities, bigger fan base, more intangible advantages has fallen at some point. The idea that UCF won't face similar circumstances is being purposely ignorant.

If UCF played FSU the next three years in a 2-1 and swept them. That would have lasting impact in the state of Florida and recruiting.

Even a few 10-3 seasons basically puts them in mid major status, no big bowls. And as mentioned previously bowl games will become more exhibition with players sitting out, outside of the playoffs.

Lastly as a fan, 20 years from now. Are you going to care about playing Boise State in 1 for 1, or the time you played on the road against a major program. Calculated risks makes sense when you can control your destiny and already have yearly big games, which is what P5 teams do.

Generally you want to strike while the iron is hot.

Every program will face down years, and when you have less money the turnaround can take longer. Every major program that has accomplished more, has more money, better facilities, bigger fan base, more intangible advantages has fallen at some point. The idea that UCF won't face similar circumstances is being purposely ignorant.

If UCF played FSU the next three years in a 2-1 and swept them. That would have lasting impact in the state of Florida and recruiting.

Even a few 10-3 seasons basically puts them in mid major status, no big bowls. And as mentioned previously bowl games will become more exhibition with players sitting out, outside of the playoffs.

Lastly as a fan, 20 years from now. Are you going to care about playing Boise State in 1 for 1, or the time you played on the road against a major program. Calculated risks makes sense when you can control your destiny and already have yearly big games, which is what P5 teams do.
I have been a Fan since the day I got on campus in 1996. I honestly just care about winning the conference and making a major bowl, all things not possible when I was a Freshman. I have been on many road games but the conference championships, the Epic USF games are what I remember. We don’t need 2-1s to be relevant or to have fun as fans.

I have been a Fan since the day I got on campus in 1996. I honestly just care about winning the conference and making a major bowl, all things not possible when I was a Freshman. I have been on many road games but the conference championships, the Epic USF games are what I remember. We don’t need 2-1s to be relevant or to have fun as fans.
exactly. playing our schedule and winning the conference has proven to be a way more valuable formula. Who cares what they say when our ooc game is GT or UNC. We get championships and bowl games. Even when we scheduled Stanford when they were on top, we beat them and the excuse was "Stanford is down this year".

It doesn't matter tbh plus if we were unlucky and played a good Gators team all that would do is ruin our conference hopes, look at the cows, they're out of it before it even started. Win our conference, play NY6, enjoy ourselves, wait for realignment.

Win our conference, play NY6, enjoy ourselves, wait for realignment.

If that happens, but none of that is guaranteed. Realignment is a pipedream more so than making CFP. It's still more likely the big P5 teams spin off and form their own league than decide to split the money with more teams.

Reactions: OvilleNative
See "Based on how they ranked...". If we want to assure the NY6 then we should play well enough to be the highest ranked G5. Nothing unfair about that.
It’s not fair. If I’m undefeated I want the highest possible bowl. Which is CFP. Rankings are unfair to begin with. GT, Pitt are good wins for Clemson but shitty wins for us.

It’s not fair. If I’m undefeated I want the highest possible bowl. Which is CFP. Rankings are unfair to begin with. GT, Pitt are good wins for Clemson but shitty wins for us.
I agree, it’s helping us right now, but it’s not really fair.

Actually, I think my answer should have been, I trust Danny White. If he schedules it, it’s probably not too big of a financial hit. If not, it probably was. I don’t know what they would pay us for those two trips but I doubt it would cover revenue loss for the home games.

Clemson is not a G5 team. You asked what if two G5 teams are undefeated then what happens. To shift and now talk about Clemson you seem to be confusing yourself.

Clemson is not a G5 team. You asked what if two G5 teams are undefeated then what happens. To shift and now talk about Clemson you seem to be confusing yourself.
I’m showing you that just because our brand is better we would get the nod over any other G5 school now. No matter what. The same for the P5 schools over us. We may be better but we won’t know because their brand is better and they get the invite.

damn straight homie......Fla has been crap most of the time since forever with the exception of a few seasons with Meyer.
Florida is like #3 in the nation. Texas was 8-5 last year and lost last Saturday.

Michigan hasn’t been great in years and lost at least 3 games last year and was destroyed by Florida in the Peach Bowl 2 years ago.

I get it if you don’t like the Gators, but Clemson and Alabama are better programs, not those 2

Florida is like #3 in the nation. Texas was 8-5 last year and lost last Saturday.

Michigan hasn’t been great in years and lost at least 3 games last year and was destroyed by Florida in the Peach Bowl 2 years ago.

I get it if you don’t like the Gators, but Clemson and Alabama are better programs, not those 2

Texas didnt lose Saturday

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT