ADVERTISEMENT

Significant changes that need to be made for 2024

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022
No troll. Straight being 💯.

Gus needs to change, not rearrange, coaches on defense.

Kenny Ingram needs to take an off-the-field position. Kenny Martin probably needs to move on to greener pastures, but won't.

I personally like both Kennys, but aside from John Walker, no HS signee has seen significant playing time (really any playing time) through two signing classes.

Ernie Sims along with Martin, will probably be retained. The linebackers are atrocious, but it is hard to pin that on Sims, who inherited these knuckleheads from TWill. @Poolside Knight once suggested Sims should be named the defensive coordinator, which would be the most Gus move ever: Replacing an unqualified coordinator who was an assistant on the staff with another unqualified coordinator, who is an assistant on the staff.

Addison Williams is out the door. I see no way he can retain any position at UCF, off or on the field.

David Gibbs has a good chance to survive and retain his position. He has been largely out of the spotlight and has not received the brunt of criticism due him. Gibbs may choose to leave the program if he is stripped of his behind-the-scenes power and responsibilities.

If I had my preference, I would buyout and fire Sims and Williams and reassign Martin to an off-the-field position.

I would then bring in most of the SMU defensive staff, including Scott Symons as Defensive Coordinator, Maurice Crum Jr. as Run Game Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, and Rickey Hunley, Jr. as Passing Game Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach. If Martin chose to leave or was not retained, I would replace him with Calvin Thibodeaux as the Defensive Line Coach.

I have been impressed with what these guys have done at SMU, which ranks 27th in run defense, 12th In total defense, 5th in scoring defense, and 8th in passing yards allowed.

NOTE: Symon's was a defensive quality control analyst under Gus at Arkansas State. ... Crum was Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ole Miss in 2022 and the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky before that. ... Hunley, Jr. is joined at the hip with Symons. ... Thibodeaux coached for Oklahoma.

Kenny Ingram needs to take an off-the-field position. Kenny Martin probably needs to move on to greener pastures, but won't.

I personally like both Kennys, but aside from John Walker, no HS signee has seen significant playing time (really any playing time) through two signing classes.

Ernie Sims along with Martin, will probably be retained. The linebackers are atrocious, but it is hard to pin that on Sims, who inherited these knuckleheads from TWill. @Poolside Knight once suggested Sims should be named the defensive coordinator, which would be the most Gus move ever: Replacing an unqualified coordinator who was an assistant on the staff with another unqualified coordinator, who is an assistant on the staff.

Addison Williams is out the door. I see no way he can retain any position at UCF, off or on the field.

David Gibbs has a good chance to survive and retain his position. He has been largely out of the spotlight and has not received the brunt of criticism due him. Gibbs may choose to leave the program if he is stripped of his behind-the-scenes power and responsibilities.

If I had my preference, I would buyout and fire Sims and Williams and reassign Martin to an off-the-field position.

I would then bring in most of the SMU defensive staff, including Scott Symons as Defensive Coordinator, Maurice Crum Jr. as Run Game Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, and Rickey Hunley, Jr. as Passing Game Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach. If Martin chose to leave or was not retained, I would replace him with Calvin Thibodeaux as the Defensive Line Coach.

I have been impressed with what these guys have done at SMU, which ranks 27th in run defense, 12th In total defense, 5th in scoring defense, and 8th in passing yards allowed.

NOTE: Symon's was a defensive quality control analyst under Gus at Arkansas State. ... Crum was Co-Defensive Coordinator at Ole Miss in 2022 and the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky before that. ... Hunley, Jr. is joined at the hip with Symons. ... Thibodeaux coached for Oklahoma.
Are you trying to deflect this year's shitty coaching away from Gus? Blame everybody else right? Well Gus put those everybody's in their jobs. We shouldn't trust Gus to do this assignment...period. So far, straight up, he hasn't told us the truth. Bring in an HC in waiting to run the program, one who can deliver a staff (including OC and DC) like Leipold did at Kansas. Switch out as many as he can bring with him. Make Gus the official figurehead for the next 2 years. If he adds to the solution (mentoring, recruiting, cohesiveness), then keep him longer. If he doesn't buy him out. Starting today if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. And, right now, Gus is part of the problem.

Are you trying to deflect this year's shitty coaching away from Gus? Blame everybody else right? Well Gus put those everybody's in their jobs. We shouldn't trust Gus to do this assignment...period. So far, straight up, he hasn't told us the truth. Bring in an HC in waiting to run the program, one who can deliver a staff (including OC and DC) like Leipold did at Kansas. Switch out as many as he can bring with him. Make Gus the official figurehead for the next 2 years. If he adds to the solution (mentoring, recruiting, cohesiveness), then keep him longer. If he doesn't buy him out. Starting today if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem. And, right now, Gus is part of the problem.
AL1 blames fans leaving early and games that start early in the day for UCF losing games.

Don't know about everything else but Gus is definitely a significant part of the problem.

Reactions: Knight59

I didn’t suggest Sims as the permanent DC. I said AW should have been fired heading into the bye week and have Sims be the interim DC bc he can’t be much worse.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Nailed it. This is on Terry as well. If he isn’t demanding changes, he’s part of the problem too.

We know gus ill retain hinshaw bc he wont call the plays, gus will.

On defense gus needs to clean house and bring in a real DC. Allow that DC to pick “their” assistants. We have B12 $$$, time to act like it. If we are stuck with gus as HC/OC our best chance to win is to have elite defensive coaching. Maybe not even elite, just good will do given how bad our defense is currently being wasted

"No freshman" in two... lets me know you're a NCAA college football revamped playing beast lol. Big difference between 18 and 22(23, 24 covid players)

I don’t think Gus will get rid of Addison just yet. He’ll make it out like there was an adjustment period to his new position and new conference. That is, of course, unless he promises the DC position to JRP when he graduates
If Gus doesn't make significant changes to this coaching staff, Gus will need to be gone himself. I see no way Addison Williams survives. You cannot have this historic of a collapse and keep your job in any profession.

UCF is a soft unserious team…it starts and ends with Gus Malzahn. All of the stupid character costume wearing and bending over for recruits…that’s on Gus Malzahn.

Agree that if Gus doesn't change, 2024 is a repeat of 2023, which is very Sad. The A.D's need to be thinking of a "what if" scenario of replacing Gus. Seriously. I hope I am completely wrong, but trend/history shows I'm not. Gus is a bull$hter.

Reactions: UCFsbarro
AT THIS POINT (and 2023 is almost over) we don't have a QB, we don't have the P5 level athletes (mostly on defense), the play calling is so so. AND....we don't have the Athletes or the bench depth, to finish games.

Gus promotion of Addison is almost echoes of GOL hire of Bresnahan in 2015. Bresnahan was a fired USF DC, Addison was an assistant coach on a defense that fell apart at the end of 2022. The excuse of GOL was that he was completely checked out by the time 2015 season started.

Gus promotion of Addison is almost echoes of GOL hire of Bresnahan in 2015. Bresnahan was a fired USF DC, Addison was an assistant coach on a defense that fell apart at the end of 2022. The excuse of GOL was that he was completely checked out by the time 2015 season started.
Addison just really may only need the Athletes (P5 level big, last 2 to 3 qtr type guys)......and bench of course. Thoughts?

I would then bring in most of the SMU defensive staff, including Scott Symons as Defensive Coordinator, Maurice Crum Jr. as Run Game Coordinator/Linebackers Coach, and Rickey Hunley, Jr. as Passing Game Coordinator/Cornerbacks Coach. If Martin chose to leave or was not retained, I would replace him with Calvin Thibodeaux as the Defensive Line Coach

LOL! How?

P5 SMU has far richer boosters so I don't see any of those guys jumping ship to UCF, unless it was a promotion.

Reactions: Yaes
He is barely qualified to be an FBS position coach. He coached one year at Coastal Carolina before moving to UCF.
This is Addison's 4th year on a Gus staff...and his 3rd season at UCF.

TMo didn't give Gus much $$ to make OC and DC hires last winter...hence why Hinshaw (has done well), and Addison (promoted from within) were selected.

I do think TMo might offer more $$ to Gus in regards ro the defensive side of the ball if changes are made.

This is false. We are stacked with athletes. We lack linebackers and leadership
Partly.

UCF must have all its defensive players to have a chance to stop an offense with a pulse. There is not a great deal of quality depth. Guys who can give guys breathers, yes. Four stars backing up four stars, not remotely.

LOL! How?

P5 SMU has far richer boosters so I don't see any of those guys jumping ship to UCF, unless it was a promotion.
The Knights can compete with SMU salary wise. However, with SMU moving to the ACC and UCF playing in the Big 12, I am not certain what the motivation would be for leaving SMU.

Partly.

UCF must have all its defensive players to have a chance to stop an offense with a pulse. There is not a great deal of quality depth. Guys who can give guys breathers, yes. Four stars backing up four stars, not remotely.

The Knights can compete with SMU salary wise. However, with SMU moving to the ACC and UCF playing in the Big 12, I am not certain what the motivation would be for leaving SMU.
I’ll tell you what AL1…Malzahn better beat Cincinnati because the exodus from the 2024 recruiting class is about to begin.

Kids are already looking around and some will dip no matter what but losing and becoming the toilet of the big 12 will only expedite things.

This is the guy Malzahn chose over Keene and Castellanos to the the UCF starting QB.

Tommy has a stronger arm but after watching him some last night give me Keene. runs way too much while Keene can sustain drives

unfortunately Gus prefers athletes that don’t know how to read coverages
Keene has a lot more experience. I think Castellanos ceiling is higher because of the dual threat component, and he is only gaining confidence.

6-2 as a starter for a team that was 3-9 last year.

Keene has a lot more experience. I think Castellanos ceiling is higher because of the dual threat component, and he is only gaining confidence.

6-2 as a starter for a team that was 3-9 last year.
The troubling fact is that zero viable QBs are going to transfer to UCF to play under Gus Malzahn. Contrary to what his resident simp tells you fans, Malzahn has a terrible rep on developing QBs and managing the QB room. That’s reality.

The troubling fact is that zero viable QBs are going to transfer to UCF to play under Gus Malzahn. Contrary to what his resident simp tells you fans, Malzahn has a terrible rep on developing QBs and managing the QB room. That’s reality.
You are an delusional. Gus has produced three NFL QBs since 2010. A fourth is still playing DB in the Canadian Football League. Three of the four were transfers. The fourth transferred to Oregon. A fifth transfered to Liberty.

Besides development…why would any QB or Receiver want to play for Gus? Basic, HS offense focused on running the ball. Anyone wanting to put up numbers for NFL scouts will avoid Gus at all costs.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT