ADVERTISEMENT

So... do we still think that these coaches who make millions of dollars know more about football....

The ridiculous thing about people complaining about Heuple, is the lack of recognition that people made the same types of complaints about Frost at times (poor play calling, not playing the right QB at the right time, not making adjustments, etc).

Everyone who has ever coached football has had those complaints thrown at them. It's much easier for couch potatoes to criticize actions after the fact (post game) than it is for coaches to make split second decisions during a game.

I have a few concerns about Heuples offense, and those concerns may or may not turn out to be valid. But yes...coaches know FAR FAR FAR more about their job that anyone posting on a message board.
They being coaches should, but to say they ALWAYS do...No.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Yes stubborn....his response in the post game PC blaming this on a D scheme that we didn't see on tape......the problem is the next time a good coordinator will figure out a different way to bring the pressure and disrupt the timing

Here is the difference.......when USF threw a D at us that we weren't ready for 2 years ago, CSF made adjustments........it would appear that CJH is too stubborn or not capable......

Heupel refuses to use our speed to our advantage for mismatches. Heupel refuses to put a proven established player in a position to succeed.

He's trying to reinvent the wheel!
The team is built around speed!

Pay attention to who wasn't utilized for LSU,PITT and Cincy losses.
Killins?

You guys are pathetic. When Heupel goes deep, I agree 75% of the time. And I"m normally a ball-control, defense-first, GOL type nuthugger saying this.

Heupel kept a lot of the Frost playbook for Milton, and is now molding the playbook for a new Gabriel. You think Milton isn't involved in this? Milton wanted Gabriel for a reason too.

Seriously ... you guys overlook the quick slants and the other, very spot-on execution by Gabriel. We just had major execution issues in the redzone, that's it.

So, at most, I agree with some here that maybe Mack would be better in the redzone situations, and gives us more options. But Mack, like Milton, have fumbled and turned the ball over more than Gabriel has in his first half-season.

Gabriel is one special player. You guys expect perfection out-of-the-gate, and the O-line to immediate mesh with the QB#3 out of camp. That's absolutely unrealistic.

Heupel knows a heck of a lot more than you guys. We're going 9-3 or 10-2 this year. If we got10-2, then we have to hope Cincy loses 2 -- they will at least 1 at Memphis. Our conference is just that good, and even ESPN knows it too.

And yes, it's looking like Boise or maybe even SMU getting the NY6. Get over it. Boise hasn't done remotely what we've done since joining the MWC, and even what they did in the WAC -- which was a much weaker conference -- was no better than what we accomplished.

Heupel is perfect for our program ... and you'all will see it in Gabriel over this season, let alone the next. He is our Tua. Heupel is right to put him in and let him play ... and call those deep balls too, as much as the quick slants and other short plays.
Exactly!

No this new poster is not me

I think after well over 100 posts on this subject,
coaching stubbornness, ego, flaws in offensive philosophy, adaptability, and the ability to make adjustments are at least arguable points

Last edited:

coaching stubbornness, ego, flaws in offensive philosophy, adaptability, and the ability to make adjustments are at least arguable points

I thought maybe that new guy Melbourne dan with 1 post was you!

:joy:

I seriously have no idea who I was thinking that guy is. He’s gone though.

Once again, you just don’t get it. You can’t read

Yes, and they are far, far, far, far, far more stubborn and unwilling to adapt and adjust

That’s one of the reasons that coaches get fired so often and many head coaches only last a few years.

So far, this coach lost to Pittsburgh and did NOTHING to fix it. Same BS was repeated against Cincinnati

“Oh, they threw some things at us that we weren’t prepared for.”

Translation—- I got outcoached again by the opposing DC

Maybe...just MAYBE the players didn't execute what the coaches wanted them to?!?!?

Example 1 (O-Line): Yes, the O-Line did seem confused early in the game when Cincy threw an unexpected front 7 scheme at them. Later in the game, they seemed to be better at picking up the defenders, but throughout the game they were frequently getting beat man on man (an entirely separate issue that is not on the coaches).

Example 2: People complain that Heuple's offense is too much long bombs in the passing game (usually people who are just regurgitating what they have read without actually looking at facts.) Yet in the Cincy game, there were a number of intermediate routes where the WR was open and the QB just missed him. Simple as that.

So to say that the "same BS" was repeated against Cincy compared to Pitt is simply not true. Heuple did change the offenseive calls based on the different way Cinci was defending us as compared to the way Pitt was defending us.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Maybe...just MAYBE the players didn't execute what the coaches wanted them to?!?!?

Example 1 (O-Line): Yes, the O-Line did seem confused early in the game when Cincy threw an unexpected front 7 scheme at them. Later in the game, they seemed to be better at picking up the defenders, but throughout the game they were frequently getting beat man on man (an entirely separate issue that is not on the coaches).

Example 2: People complain that Heuple's offense is too much long bombs in the passing game (usually people who are just regurgitating what they have read without actually looking at facts.) Yet in the Cincy game, there were a number of intermediate routes where the WR was open and the QB just missed him. Simple as that.

So to say that the "same BS" was repeated against Cincy compared to Pitt is simply not true. Heuple did change the offenseive calls based on the different way Cinci was defending us as compared to the way Pitt was defending us.
IMO, he was outcoached in both games by the DC. Simple as that

Last edited:
Reactions: JAFFX2
This tells me right here that you didn’t watch the game

This has already been discussed. Even the announcers mentioned it

Yea...like announcers always say the most brilliant things! How many times have we talked about announcers saying absolutely stupid things throughout a game. Here is what happened, UCF's O-line blew several assignments late in the game and the announcers defaulted to their early game schtick where they were talking about the unusual defensive alignment causing problems. But here is the same point again since you don't seem to get it. You keep saying the coaches did not adjust. How do you know the coaches didn't revise the scheme to address the issue and the layers simply did not execute?

There are three possible reasons for the O-Line failures to pick up all the defenders:

1. Coaches did not make adjustment.
2. Coaches made adjustment but O-line did not make the right calls pre-snap
3. Coaches made adjustment and O-line had correct calls pre-snap, but one or more players did not execute properly.

The problem I have with your "expert" analysis is you have no idea which of these was the biggest problem. All you know is the final result you saw, so you automatically default to ASSUME the coaches are not making adjustments.

Yea...like announcers always say the most brilliant things! How many times have we talked about announcers saying absolutely stupid things throughout a game. Here is what happened, UCF's O-line blew several assignments late in the game and the announcers defaulted to their early game schtick where they were talking about the unusual defensive alignment causing problems. But here is the same point again since you don't seem to get it. You keep saying the coaches did not adjust. How do you know the coaches didn't revise the scheme to address the issue and the layers simply did not execute?

There are three possible reasons for the O-Line failures to pick up all the defenders:

1. Coaches did not make adjustment.
2. Coaches made adjustment but O-line did not make the right calls pre-snap
3. Coaches made adjustment and O-line had correct calls pre-snap, but one or more players did not execute properly.

The problem I have with your "expert" analysis is you have no idea which of these was the biggest problem. All you know is the final result you saw, so you automatically default to ASSUME the coaches are not making adjustments.
I watch the whole game and the coaches didn’t have the correct offensive game plan, adjust to what the defense was doing, have the right personnel, and have the offensive line ready

2 losses in a similar fashion

Period

Reactions: Yaes and JAFFX2
As pointed out the losses were similar and very well could happen again. It's a combination of issues, but in the end with this offensive scheme and if Gabriel is not playing lights out in terms of hitting long passes any decent team can become a challenge/loss.

Reactions: Ucfmikes and Yaes
As pointed out the losses were similar and very well could happen again. It's a combination of issues, but in the end with this offensive scheme and if Gabriel is not playing lights out in terms of hitting long passes any decent team can become a challenge/loss.
Some people just can’t see it, but I guess that’s why we have message board debates

It is the coaches responsibility to get the team prepared and motivated......if the players didn't execute they were not put in a position to.....the bottom line this is on the coaches and it nauseates me when CJH just gives his standard weak coach speak answers.........

Reactions: Yaes and Ucfmikes
It is the coaches responsibility to get the team prepared and motivated......if the players didn't execute they were not put in a position to.....the bottom line this is on the coaches and it nauseates me when CJH just gives his standard weak coach speak answers.........
Stop dwelling on the last game

Just focus on going 1-0 baby!!! Whoa!!
[winking]

....than knowledgeable fans?

I’m reading some pretty impressive analysis by our fans

Stop putting these coaches on a pedestal

Maybe Heupel knows a lot about football, but he’s certainly too stubborn to see his flaws

That’s a bad thing right now

Sometimes I think when you pay people too much money they think they proportionally smarter than the average person. Scientists, physicists, doctors, etc....sure...but coaches? Sometimes the most value a coach has is as a motivator.

Sometimes I think when you pay people too much money they think they proportionally smarter than the average person. Scientists, physicists, doctors, etc....sure...but coaches? Sometimes the most value a coach has is as a motivator.
My main point is that he’s appearing to be really stubborn

That’s a big coaching flaw. Not being able to see your mistakes, learning from them and fixing them

Adaptability and adjustments

He’s failed at it thus far IMO, but he can still do better. It’s not too late

People are cursing a very likely 9-3 team and staff!

It's built around an unexpected, true freshman QB, who was only #3 coming out of camp, behind an offense *designed* for *mobile* QBs in Milton, Mack and Winbush.

That offense is *gone*.

This is a *new* offense. It's *not* going to be perfect. But Heupel is building it, we can (and do) have success with it, and we will get wins, handily, when it executes.

Do *not* adjust your television set. Do *not* armchair quarterback. This is our future.

Not if we don't improve. Since the Pitt game teams now see our vulnerabilities...mostly a immobile freshmen QB with an OL incapable of protecting him in the pocket consistently.

My main point is that he’s appearing to be really stubborn

That’s a big coaching flaw. Not being able to see your mistakes, learning from them and fixing them

Adaptability and adjustments

He’s failed at it thus far IMO, but he can still do better. It’s not too late

I agree. The Pitt and Cinci games were his first big tests.

He has Temple and Tulane next

There is so much film on our flaws it’s not funny

The gifs that Money posted are eye opening, the O line was getting embarrassed on every play.....and our coaches could not do a damn thing about it, that is what is so discouraging......

The gifs that Money posted are eye opening, the O line was getting embarrassed on every play.....and our coaches could not do a damn thing about it, that is what is so discouraging......
I thought this was supposed to be our best line? What went wrong? It looks like we are missing some players for depth

Adjustment and adaptability

One part. The most important

We can go on all day back and forth. You have a view on this, but are more concerned about my wording than it’s meaning

Maybe you should read the headline a few times
and the post right after it
I'm not concerned about anything. I'm responding to your wording because that is how this works. If you have some meaning other than the words you use you'll have to explain.

I thought this was supposed to be our best line? What went wrong? It looks like we are missing some players for depth
Our best OL's were obviously 2007, 2013, 2017, and 2018. What went wrong this year is they just are not as good. Blame players....blame coaches...blame whatever you want.

I don't know what delusional football fans thought a team with a true freshman QB, three new starting OL, and basically an entirely new front 7 on defense thought we were going to run the table. We can still finish with a good or great record but on paper it looked like a long shot for me. That is why I had this team pegged for 8-10 wins.

These were the OL depth charts at the beginning of each season (obviously due to need or injury this changed during the season):

2016: Evans, Hudanick, Rae, Dickey, Miller (true freshman QB)

2017: Evans, Hudanick, Johnson, Dickey, Miller (one change; the entire starting unit basically came back; It's no wonder we gelled so well + QB played at elite level)

2018: Miller, Hudanick, Johnson, Schneider, McMullen (two new starters....they still gelled for whatever reason + QB played at elite level; all the backups except 1 were upperclassmen)

2019: Jackson, Schneider, Johnson, Boudreaux, Brown (three new starters; the core of 2017 and 2018 are gone + true freshman QB; What happened to McMullen and Swanson???....they both should have been in the mix this season?; Our backups this year are: RS So, RS Fr, Fr, RS So, Fr, RS Sr (Elbert....who never was a starter in his whole career)

In 2018 we lost 20 players on the 2-deep to graduation or leaving early.

In 2019 it looks like we will have only 9 guys graduate + if anybody leaves early. When I first looked at the depth chart I said to myself, "Wow. This is a surprisingly younger, inexperienced team this season." Not even I realized how many contributing guys graduated.

Reactions: Wings0fred
UCF was favorites in Vegas for both Pitt and Cinci , with Pitt being a double digit road favorite. Fans are going to question coaching when we lose both. It’s not like we played at Ohio State or Georgia

Nope, but you agree if the team struggles with deep passes and loses because the opposing team is able to force quick 3 and outs and interceptions there is a pattern and a lack of adjustment made by the staff?
I have no answer. I wonder this myself. We need to use our RB's more in space. I also don't know why we don't attack the middle of the field with the TE either....maybe because they are having to be used more in protection/blocking???

Otis has 10 catches for 107 yds. ~10 yds per catch
Killins has 5 catches for 102 yds. ~20 yds per catch
McCrae has 4 catches for 16 yds. 4 yds per catch
Hescock has 8 catches for 67 yds. ~8.5 yds per catch
As a group they are averaging ~11 yds per reception.

Just as areference, the WR unit as a whole is averaging ~17.5 yds per reception.

Gabriel is 99/166, which means only 27/99 completions have gone to the entire RB/TE unit. The stats don't show how many "targets" were made to these units, to see how efficient those throws have been. That's ~27% of all completions. Seems to me using those units more often shouId actually loosen up the entire defense even more as they are forced to defend the entire field.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I think he fumbled in every game he started, right? Not to say it’s a permanent condition, but it was more than ECU.
Short memories, right? I mean ... people are so thinking DG isn't good, they utterly forget all of the other issues we've had with QBs.

Sigh ... we had 6 redzone trips people! It's just redzone execution. We improve that, we win Could it be better beyond that? Sure. But DG drives the field. He'll get better.

Best freshman QB pocket passer we've ever had if you ask me.

Reactions: Knight Strength
coaches didn’t have the correct offensive game plan, adjust to what the defense was doing, have the right personnel, and have the offensive line ready

The only basis you have for saying that is ONE thing...some of the plays that we ran did not have the result you wanted.

You have ZERO information on what the players at any position were told in practice leading up to the game.

You have ZERO information on what the players at any position were told during any of UCF's time while the offense was off the field.

You have ZERO information on what specific passing plays were actually called, unless you have access to UCF's playbook.

I have seen people complain that all of our passes are bubble screens, short comeback routes or long bombs, completely ignoring that there were several intermediate range passes that were open and DG just missed the receiver.

I have seen people complain that Gabe Davis is targeted on too many of the passing plays. How do you know GD was the primary receiver on those plays. Maybe DG is just more comfortable throwing to him even if he is not the primary receiver on a play.

The problem I have with all the complaints is that you literally only have, at most, 20% of the information needed to accurately assess the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT