ADVERTISEMENT

So does this help us recruit or just mean

It will help us because Memphis is now totally out of schollys for next year because they wasted them all on a bunch of 5-stars.

Penny must really be plugged into the $AAU$ thing. You get a couple of those top guys signed and they all start recruiting each other to join the dream team.

Memphis got 4 local kids who are the very top players in the area first. Then a couple of high profile kids - one from NY and Cali, followed them.

One day that will happen with UCF.

Memphis got 4 local kids who are the very top players in the area first. Then a couple of high profile kids - one from NY and Cali, followed them.

One day that will happen with UCF.

Takes $100,000 and rising for a 5 star.

It is mind boggling that Memphis can out recruit every school in the country.....
It's not. They are a storied program. It's a good thing for our conference. We need UConn to get back its swag as well. The better our league the better we can be, consistently. Kids want to play against good teams, to see if they have "it". It also goes to show, unlike football, that any program can catch fire and vastly improve themselves. Now, Memphis still has to go deep into the tourney and prove themselves but they certain have the talent to do it.

In CUSA when they had Cal it didn’t help us. Just killed everyone.

I feel like people have more respect for the AAC than CUSA.

UCF is coming off NCAA appearances and a lot of media attention from the Duke game coverage.

Memphis found lighting in a bottle with Penny. We just need to make sure we don't get blown out.

I feel like people have more respect for the AAC than CUSA.

UCF is coming off NCAA appearances and a lot of media attention from the Duke game coverage.

Memphis found lighting in a bottle with Penny. We just need to make sure we don't get blown out.
Our days with CUSA, we had Memphis, UAB, UTEP and Tulsa as decent teams making the tourney. We still struggled to stay top 10 as a conference, even falling out sometimes. Memphis had to front load their ooc schedule with tough games to stay relevant in the tourney algorithm.

Its no comparison to AAC. We battle the Big East for post break up supremacy.
Year one UConn wins the title. Cincy is always in the tourney. Which State came here for the competition. Houston is experiencing the best years since the 80s. Except for ECU and Tulane, every team in the conference is competing for the dance one year or another.
Perhaps, Coach Cal's legacy stuck to the fanbase after all.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Not sure why anyone would be surprised that a former local basketball star who coached AAU and had a successful career in the NBA is able to recruit local kids to play for him.

He can relate and guide future NBA players better than 95% of the rest of college coaches.

I don't think it was ever a question that Penny could recruit talent, it's just whether he could coach it.

Our days with CUSA, we had Memphis, UAB, UTEP and Tulsa as decent teams making the tourney. We still struggled to stay top 10 as a conference, even falling out sometimes. Memphis had to front load their ooc schedule with tough games to stay relevant in the tourney algorithm.

Year one UConn wins the title. Cincy is always in the tourney. Which State came here for the competition. Houston is experiencing the best years since the 80s. Except for ECU and Tulane, every team in the conference is competing for the dance one year or another.

Very well said, my UCFriend.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
Not sure why anyone would be surprised that a former local basketball star who coached AAU and had a successful career in the NBA is able to recruit local kids to play for him.

He can relate and guide future NBA players better than 95% of the rest of college coaches.

I don't think it was ever a question that Penny could recruit talent, it's just whether he could coach it.

Excellent point.

A big part of being winners is welcoming competition. I still want to beat Memphis more than any other team in the league. The better the Memphis team is, the sweeter the victory is.

It is mind boggling that Memphis can out recruit every school in the country.....

Most of them are from Memphis. It is too early to tell how good of an actual coach Hardaway is, but I suspect they will have good recruiting classes as long as he is there. There is always a lot of talent in Memphis, it's just a matter of keeping them there. Penny is a Memphis legend, so he will likely be able to get most anyone from that city he wants, and I am sure there are plenty of guys not from Memphis interested in playing for Hardaway as well.

Reactions: Knight Strength

Memphis has always been a basketball school with a good fanbase, and was a good program well before Cal was there (though they have also had a history of getting in trouble). They were pretty much a tournament staple through the 80s and 90s, and had quite a few Sweet 16, Elite 8, and even 2 final 4 appearances before Cal was hired. They were down a bit right before Cal got there, and have certainly dropped off since he left, but if Penny ends up being worth anything as a coach, then I can easily see them being a team that is consistently in the top 10, because they will certainly get players.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucfversusbcs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT