ADVERTISEMENT

So who is willing to accept

Other than to appease people who want an answer before bed time there's no reason for concession or victory speeches. Just count the damn votes. If this is inconvenient then let's step up our counting efforts.

Other than to appease people who want an answer before bed time there's no reason for concession or victory speeches. Just count the damn votes.
There's no reason to play games when the outcome is still in doubt. On the other hand, we've been dealing with states being called for one candidate or another based on projections for our entire lives.

Depending on the outcome of battleground races in North Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, and Texas where the results should be known relatively early in the evening, if Biden gets the nod in one or more of those states, we'll know the outcome. In that scenario, there'd be little reason why Joe shouldn't come out and state the obvious.

There's no reason to play games when the outcome is still in doubt. On the other hand, we've been dealing with states being called for one candidate or another based on projections for our entire lives.

Depending on the outcome of battleground races in North Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, and Texas where the results should be known relatively early in the evening, if Biden gets the nod in one or more of those states, we'll know the outcome. In that scenario, there'd be little reason why Joe shouldn't come out and state the obvious.
You literally just took both sides of the argument.

You literally just took both sides of the argument.
No I didn't. But if Trump no longer has a legitimate shot at reelection, why not say so?

If the a couple of the early states (e.g. North Carolina, Georgia, Florida) go Biden's way, he shouldn't come out and state the obvious?

No I didn't. But if Trump no longer has a legitimate shot at reelection, why not say so?

If the a couple of the early states (e.g. North Carolina, Georgia, Florida) go Biden's way, he shouldn't come out and state the obvious?
Does the same apply for Trump? Say he wins Virginia. Should he go ahead and declare victory?

Does the same apply for Trump? Say he wins Virginia. Should he go ahead and declare victory?

WHy should he declare victory for winning 1 state? Nobody should be declaring victory until 270 EC votes is reached, this isn't a difficult concept.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
WHy should he declare victory for winning 1 state? Nobody should be declaring victory until 270 EC votes is reached, this isn't a difficult concept.
Tell shuckster. He's the one that said if Biden wins North Carolina he may as well declare victory.

Tell shuckster. He's the one that said if Biden wins North Carolina he may as well declare victory.

He listed 3 states, not one, and those states would likely put him over 270, unless something crazy happens in NY and California, etc. But he shouldnt declare victory for those states alone obviously.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said if he wins A COUPLE of the battle ground states that are 'must wins' for Trump.

Anyway, as in every other previous election, nothing is declared until enough states are called that the magical 270 EC threshold has been reached.

He listed 3 states, not one, and those states would likely put him over 270, unless something crazy happens in NY and California, etc. But he shouldnt declare victory for those states alone obviously.
"In one or more of those states".

Don't put words in my mouth. I said if he wins A COUPLE of the battle ground states that are 'must wins' for Trump.

Anyway, as in every other previous election, nothing is declared until enough states are called that the magical 270 EC threshold has been reached.
You said "in one or more".

Trump has already won Florida. Biden made the same mistake as Hillary.

No votes are being reported yet. Just because you are registered in a party, doesnt mean you have to vote for that party. Trump may win Florida, but it will be close as usual, but I have seen several people on twitter saying the same thing, and at this point there is no way to know who is actually winning.

Okie dokie. I also said a couple a post later.

Anyhoo, if Biden wins North Carolina or Georgia or Florida, you really believe that Trump still wins reelection?
Georgia or Florida, no. North Carolina, yes. If Biden wins either of the first 2 its pretty clear where things are going and I wouldn't have a problem with him declaring victory. Same goes for Trump with Virginia. That would be the kind of bellwether that predicts the whole thing. I guess the real question is if you're ok with either candidate declaring victory before they get to 270.

Didn't 538 give Biden a 70% chance of winning Florida?

Not sure what they gave him, but odds arent predictions. 70% chance for Biden still means a 30% chance for Trump. But, Florida is way more important Trump than Biden. The Rust Belt states are where it is going to be decided.

Not sure what they gave him, but odds arent predictions. 70% chance for Biden still means a 30% chance for Trump. But, Florida is way more important Trump than Biden. The Rust Belt states are where it is going to be decided.
They ran 100 simulations on some model and Biden won 69 of them so they said he had a 69% chance of winning.

If thats the case, things don't look good for Biden.

Reactions: fried-chicken
you can't be "former" and "lifelong" you mental midget. especially when you've been repeating that sentiment for the past 4 years.
Ninja bests the biggest Progressive hypocrites on TV. He literally will argue himself into a circle ... until he's alone in it. Then he goes on 6 months trying to instigate anything he can, while we all either laugh at him, or select people finally tell him to STFU already, because his original point was pretty weak anyway.

Yeah, I think they have this backwards. I think Trump losing would cause for more issues, unless as you say, there is evidence that votes are being tossed and people look at it as being stolen. That isnt to say there wont be some issues if Trump wins fairly, but I think Trump losing, or evidence that the election results arent legit, are easily the scenarios that are going to cause more issues.

The other scenario is if Trump declares victory before the results are actually determined. As soon as he declares victory his hardcore supporters are going to think he won. If it turns out he didnt win after everything is counted, then I would expect some issues from his supporters. It is going to be interesting to see if/when he decides he won.
Ahhh yes, what the Progressives are now clinging to. Sigh ...

If Trump lost, and didn't concede, you'd have a crapload of Libertarians and Moderates, and even a majority of Republicans, forcing him to. There are not that many, a small minority, that defend him without waiver.

Even my parents who support Trump are exceeding critical of his ignorance and lies at times, and wish he'd stop. They realize if he did, then the hypocrisy of the left would have more backlash than it already does, and Trump would get even more support.

They are the types that would be the majority that would force him to concede, if he lost. At some point, a 3%+ difference or so couldn't be explained by fraud or other non-sense, and there's no way a large county/district could do so without at least some whistle blowing.

This very easily could come down to Pa. If that is the case we won't know who is next prez before Thursday or Friday.

Well, based on Trump's utterly unhinged 0230 speech, he is not willing to accept the results.

Anyone watch that? Tell me it wasn't textbook dictator/authoritarian. He literally said they won't count votes, and that he won.

Wtf is wrong with you people?

Well, based on Trump's utterly unhinged 0230 speech, he is not willing to accept the results.

Anyone watch that? Tell me it wasn't textbook dictator/authoritarian. He literally said they won't count votes, and that he won.

Wtf is wrong with you people?
Sounds like Al Gore to me. Or the entire democratic party after 2016. In the end, if states flip for Biden, he will step down and Harris will be the new Prez in waiting.

Sounds like Al Gore to me. Or the entire democratic party after 2016. In the end, if states flip for Biden, he will step down and Harris will be the new Prez in waiting.

Gore wanted votes counted in Florida, it was the GOP that didnt. So it sounds just the opposite of Gore.

Just shut the fuk up.

Please.

You are the dumbest dipshit on a board filled with inbred slack jawed dirt eating morons.

Reactions: fried-chicken
Apparently there are over 300,000 mail in votes the USPS didnt even bother to deliver.

Sanders nailed it with this prediction.

Sanders predicted how Trump could attempt to use this to his advantage:
It could well be that at 10 o’clock on election night, Trump is winning in Michigan, he’s winning in Pennsylvania, he’s winning in Wisconsin, and he gets on the television and he says, ‘Thank you, Americans, for reelecting me. It’s all over. Have a good day.’ But then, the next day, and the day following, all of those mail-in ballots start getting counted, and it turns out that Biden has won those states, at which point Trump says, ‘See? I told you the whole thing was fraudulent. I told you those mail-in ballots were crooked. And we’re not going to leave office.’ So that is a worry that I and a lot of people have.
Trump didn’t make his declaration at 10 p.m. Tuesday — but he did use a press conference in the White House in the early hours of Wednesday to falsely claim victory over Democratic nominee Joe Biden, even though millions of votes remain uncounted and no reputable organization called the winner of the election.

I guess this will just need to be revisited after votes are counted. I'm thinking of it from the perspective that there actually is a silent Trump vote out there. If it shows up and Trump wins "with ease" then we simply have to look at it as if the methods are flawed right? What's the alternative if it turns out we're unable to actually gauge public preference when polling?

I did read a good piece over the weekend that attempted to put to bed the silent Trump voter idea by looking at Senate races in these battleground states. Essentially that we'd see the silent voter impact in discrepancies here bc people are less likely to lie about Senator voting preferences.

So if concerted efforts to find this silent vote still end up missing it then I think that's very interesting.

Again this might all be moot if Biden runs away with it, I just find it all very interesting.

There's gonna be a ton of post mortem here, but we've basically repeated the 2016 polling errors, in the same direction, and probably worse. Clearly there's a systemic error in polling Trump support.

But also recognize the utility of something like 538's model. We're trending towards a ~4% Biden popular vote win and a squeaker in the electoral college. Not the nominal outcome but certainly within the range of reasonable outcomes.

So in an era when polling is having this hard a time capturing the electorate, those uncertainty estimates are especially useful.

There's gonna be a ton of post mortem here, but we've basically repeated the 2016 polling errors, in the same direction, and probably worse. Clearly there's a systemic error in polling Trump support.

But also recognize the utility of something like 538's model. We're trending towards a ~4% Biden popular vote win and a squeaker in the electoral college. Not the nominal outcome but certainly within the range of reasonable outcomes.

So in an era when polling is having this hard a time capturing the electorate, those uncertainty estimates are especially useful.
538 might want to downgrade NYT from their a+ rating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT