ADVERTISEMENT

Spoiled Teens Don't Want Summer Jobs

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
With more and more parents giving every Hannah and Jeremiah a silver spoon in regards to life lessons, teen employment rates are at/near an all-time low.

In 1978...approx 72% of all teens held jobs as that rate has now fallen to just 41%.

More and more businesses have had to rely on International Students filling the void for jobs more and more Americans refuse to do.

So many life lessons (and yes, FUN) can be had at one',s first job in HS and then over college breaks yet more and more kids don't want or even need to do it.

Yeah, they won't be spoiled once the try to enter the real workforce.

PS. Most employers for on-campus interviews use to view part-time work thru school more important then GPA accolades from a spoiled best who never worked a day in their life.

Other than Publix and fastfood joints, I couldn't tell you anywhere that hires teens. Most employers don't want the insurance liabilities that come with them.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Other than Publix and fastfood joints, I couldn't tell you anywhere that hires teens. Most employers don't want the insurance liabilities that come with them.

How many times have you actually seen a teen at a fast food place? They’re clogged with adults who think that being a cashier at McDonalds is a career.

It used to be where teens went to make money for the summer. Now they’re expected to be career centers for people who refuse to even obtain a GED.

Reactions: G-Knight
How many times have you actually seen a teen at a fast food place? They’re clogged with adults who think that being a cashier at McDonalds is a career.

It used to be where teens went to make money for the summer. Now they’re expected to be career centers for people who refuse to even obtain a GED.

Teens seem to populate Chick-fil-A regardless of where they are located. And remarkably, the ones CFA employs are courteous, helpful, and genuinely happy to be there.

I really couldn't tell you about any other fast food joint since that place and Jersey Mike's are about the only two places I frequent.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
Teens seem to populate Chick-fil-A regardless of where they are located. And remarkably, the ones CFA employs are courteous, helpful, and genuinely happy to be there.

I really couldn't tell you about any other fast food joint since that place and Jersey Mike's are about the only two places I frequent.

Yea CFA is the exception to pretty much every crap fast food joint.

The only place around me that goes out of their way to hire teens is Tijuana Flats. And I wouldn’t put them in the same category as MCD or Taco He’ll anyways

Assuming this Generation travels more & is more mobile compared to Teens in the 70s. More value is being put on experiences than material possessions.

CFA, Publix, Tijuana Flats and some Disney properties seem to hire the "best available" and do a good job on training them.

Heck, in many neighborhoods, if one wanted to hire a local kid to mow their yard, all the boys would say "nah".

I bought a lot of Mr Pibb in returnable glass bottles when I mowed yards when I was 14 yrs old...then got a job at Disney when I turned 16...and my best friends today are ones I met working at Disney in HS/College Program.

Assuming this Generation travels more & is more mobile compared to Teens in the 70s. More value is being put on experiences than material possessions.

Disagree to an extent because it's their parents $$$$ that allows them to not even hold part-time jobs.

I still remember back when I was 14 or 15...and at a friend's house, his Dad just threw him a $20 bill before we headed to the movies.

I was like "WTF did you get that for?" He admitted "nothing...just because I wanted it."

Travel? Yeah...all that does is teach HS/College kids to spend someone else's money.

I've noticed a trend at most Tijuana Flats locations, surprised they haven't had someone complain that gets rejected applying in the daily outrage World we live in

You have never felt a single ounce of discomfort in your entire privileged life...and it shows.

my wifes lazy younger sister finally got a job at a local bbq place. maybe there is hope for the next generation

Millennials are all in their mid 20s now you old coot. You're complaining about gen z.

lol another thing you're ass backwards wrong about.

Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

I know you can't do basic math but someone born in say, 2002, is 16 years old today. Which fits many definitions of Millennial generation.

[roll]

lol another thing you're ass backwards wrong about.

Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.

I know you can't do basic math but someone born in say, 2002, is 16 years old today. Which fits many definitions of Millennial generation.

[roll]
From the same Wikipedia page you just copy pasted from.

Pew Research Center defines millennials as anyone born between 1981 to 1996. They believe that 1996 is a meaningful cutoff between Millennials and post-Millennials due to a number of reasons "including key political, economic and social factors that define the Millennial generation's formative years."

Millennials are 37-22

Literally almost any source will find that you are out of touch.

From the same Wikipedia page you just copy pasted from.

Pew Research Center defines millennials as anyone born between 1981 to 1996. They believe that 1996 is a meaningful cutoff between Millennials and post-Millennials due to a number of reasons "including key political, economic and social factors that define the Millennial generation's formative years."

Millennials are 37-22

Literally almost any source will find that you are out of touch.

Even if I use your idiot definition, did school shootings just happen in the past 2-4 years?

David Hogg told me he can’t remember a time without school shootings! Surely Hogg can’t be wrong?

Nicolas Cruz was born in 1997. That one year difference is huge! It changes everything!!

Millennials are being paid less than ever in these jobs. Millennials are paying more for their college educations than ever. Millennials have a terrible job prospectus even after paying that much for college. Millennials don't have unions any more to protect their wages and benefits. Millennials have watched the wages of over 90% of American workers stagnate for the last 35 years.

Millennials are the problem. They are so lazy. LOL.

The other factor to bring up is income from non traditional employment using technology. Like the kicker that is suing UCF, I don't know if the number is high enough to register but you didn't have Vloggers making hundreds on video channels they recorded on their Iphones in the 70s instead of working at the Ice Cream shop all summer. There are a lot of unconventional ways for quick cash.

A freshman at UCF could have made a ton of money on Bovada taking UCF Football ATS all season to fund their lush summer vacation.

The other factor to bring up is income from non traditional employment using technology. Like the kicker that is suing UCF, I don't know if the number is high enough to register but you didn't have Vloggers making hundreds on video channels they recorded on their Iphones in the 70s instead of working at the Ice Cream shop all summer. There are a lot of unconventional ways for quick cash.

A freshman at UCF could have made a ton of money on Bovada taking UCF Football ATS all season to fund their lush summer vacation.

The vast majority of "vloggers" make next to nothing. People with thousands of views per page are on record saying that YouTube pays them total crumbs.

The vast majority of "vloggers" make next to nothing. People with thousands of views per page are on record saying that YouTube pays them total crumbs.
I didn't say enough to support themselves. I'm veering off the topic from teens to 18-20 but there are ways to more creative ways to create quick income to cover a summer compared to the 70s. Online poker, Bovada, etc.

Millennials are being paid less than ever in these jobs. Millennials are paying more for their college educations than ever. Millennials have a terrible job prospectus even after paying that much for college. Millennials don't have unions any more to protect their wages and benefits. Millennials have watched the wages of over 90% of American workers stagnate for the last 35 years.

Millennials are the problem. They are so lazy. LOL.
You should start a business and pay them shitloads of money with lots of benefits. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Please do your part.

You should start a business and pay them shitloads of money with lots of benefits. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Please do your part.
No, he wants government to solve the problem. As always. As if they didn’t create the tuition inflation issue in the first place.

No, he wants government to solve the problem. As always. As if they didn’t create the tuition inflation issue in the first place.
if i owned a business where my customers were using government issued loans to pay for my services, i would raise my prices as well.

Reactions: Knight_Light
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT