ADVERTISEMENT

Spring 2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Just need another O lineman, WR, and Cam Riley and we set
I also expect to see UCF add an experienced high safety from the portal. The Knights lost veteran safety Nikai Martinez and will probably need to an experienced transfer who play a lot of Cover 2 this fall.

FCS All-American Sheldon Arnold II visited last week.

UCF could also target recent Ohio State transfer Ja’Had Carter, who has been injury plagued since his freshman All American season at Syracuse.

Carter is big, fast, and physical, and his film is incredible, but he can't stay healthy. Despite being arguably a top 3 safety in the transfer portal, Carter played only 122 defensive snaps in 2023, recording just five tackles because of injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhDee
I also expect to see UCF add an experienced high safety from the portal. The Knights lost veteran safety Nikai Martinez and will probably need to an experienced transfer who play a lot of Cover 2 this fall.

FCS All-American Sheldon Arnold II visited last week.

UCF could also target recent Ohio State transfer Ja’Had Carter, who has been injury plagued since his freshman All American season at Syracuse.

Carter is big, fast, and physical, and his film is incredible, but he can't stay healthy.

Why not Jacoby Matthews, seems to be the best in the portal.

Why not Jacoby Matthews, seems to be the best in the portal.
Rankings are about ceiling and potential. Fewer than 5% of all college football players are going to make a living playing football.

The actual numbers do not support signing Matthews. He isn't worth the NIL money based on his production. Only 66 tackles, one pick, and 7 passes defended in 21 games. That's why you cannot base stuff off these ridiculous recruiting rankings (like Miami does).

Carter has 141 tackles and 5 picks in 31 games. He would come cheap due to his injury history. But if he is able to play the whole season, he will be an All-Big 12 safety.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhDee
I guess the Jacurri Brown thing is that he feels he has a solid chance to be the backup here? In reality I hope Rizk beats him out because that would be a good indication of his potential.

And the Peny Boone thing is interesting. We already have a garage full of RBs. Could it be a sign that RJ might now be sticking around?

He’s 240 lbs. Different skill set than our 210 lb guys.
But above with safeties. I don’t think you want your safeties making a lot of tackles. Means no one in front of him is doing job and/or he’s giving up chunk plays and getting to play late.

All that talent...and the U still isn't going to win poop! 🤣
Says “Square Knight”. You should be demanding that Malzahn improve the roster and bring viable WR and OL help to the team.
Nobody argues Miami doesn't recruit well. They always have and will do so in the future. Comparing UCF recruiting to UM is dumb and coming over to the UCF board and lifing your leg makes you look like an idiot as Miami has NOT produced on the field. Given all that talent, the team continues to quit and Crystobal can NOT change that attitude. Look at the data and the results. I've said this time and again, Miami has never won an ACC title since moving from the Big East years ago and has not proven anything in the past 20 yrs other than being a mediocre team at best. Why do you feel next year will be any different? The U will never be back, let that sink in. Bookmark this note as next year as I predict, Miami will once again fail to produce given the talent they get and the cycle will continue.

He’s 240 lbs. Different skill set than our 210 lb guys.
Gus signed Brown because Brown can run the same QB run plays Cam ran at Auburn. Same QB run plays KJ Jefferson will run at UCF.

(They look a lot better with Cam running them.)

Brown is 💯 % a one cut North - South runner.

Once Jefferson moves, Gus will change the offense back to give and read and move Tim TeBrOWn to WR cause he "can't throw."

But above with safeties. I don’t think you want your safeties making a lot of tackles. Means no one in front of him is doing job and/or he’s giving up chunk plays and getting to play late.
Philosophically, I agree with you. Nikai Martinez had 54 tackles, including 40 solos, last season. UCF's defense would have been much, much more maligned had Martinez missed just 10 of the 40.

Per Stephen Leonard of 247 Sports...

Looking where UCF was last year vs this year

(2023/2024)

QB - 4/5

RB - 5/5

WR - 13/9

TE - 5/5

OL - 15/13

DT - 7/7

Edge - 8/6

LB - 8/10

DB - 16/16

ST - 4/4

------

UCF needs 1-2 OL, 1-2 WRs, 1-2 Edges, 1 safety, or 1 RB.

UCF should target edge rushers:

Gus signed Brown because Brown can run the same QB run plays Cam ran at Auburn. Same QB run plays KJ Jefferson will run at UCF.

Once Jefferson moves, Gus will change the offense back to give and read and move Tim TeBrOWn to WR cause he "can't throw."

Philosophically, I agree with you. Nikai Martinez had 54 tackles, including 40 solos, last season. UCF's defense would have been much, much more maligned had Martinez missed just 10 of the 40.
I was talking about Boone. Who I believe is pretty big.

Literally nobody wants him but he wants NIL. LOL.
In the end, it is about bringing the best talent possible to UCF. "IF" McClain can get his head turned on straight, UCF could have one of the nation's top corner for a couple of years. It is like his high school before Keith Barefield said, it ain't like he is out stealing, beating women, or flunking out of class.

He is just a turd plain and simple--and one of the highest profile turds you will find.

He would be a guy I would want to bring onto the football team in August, the day fall camp opens. I would want to put him on every special teams possiblr, with the 2s in defense, and spot play receiver on offense from Day 1, so he couldn't b*tch about playing time with his infectious negative attitude on the sideline during the game.

Haven’t really understood throughout this process why people keep saying we need another running back?

I get that Boone’s size and production is enticing, but where would his carries come from? Jordan McDonald’s size was enticing last year as well, but he never saw the field after the first few games of the season.

If we're recruiting Boone for one year, I think that could mean Harvey is leaving (which would really suck). If not, then I would think either Richardson or Montgomery (if not both of them) would transfer - actually hurting the depth at the position now in that scenario.

Strange/Interesting for sure.

Haven’t really understood throughout this process why people keep saying we need another running back?

I get that Boone’s size and production is enticing, but where would his carries come from? Jordan McDonald’s size was enticing last year as well, but he never saw the field after the first few games of the season.

If we're recruiting Boone for one year, I think that could mean Harvey is leaving (which would really suck). If not, then I would think either Richardson or Montgomery (if not both of them) would transfer - actually hurting the depth at the position now in that scenario.

If they don’t think MacDonald is the answer that could be a reason to get a bigger back near GL or short yardage.

I get bringing in Brown in theory. Size and a little experience at the position, protects you this year if Jefferson goes down.

But again, bringing him in probably just solidified one to possibly two of Rizk/Colson/Trujilo transferring down the road.

The whole system now just seems to be a waste of resources/time/money recruiting HS kids. Not sure why any fan would pay for insider recruiting services/info anymore. HS kids are more likely to transfer than ever see the field, it’s all about the portal.

Those guys have only six or seven hours to put their names in the portal.

I'll take Boone.

Just imagine... If UCF had signed Jordan McCloud as a backup to Jefferson and Boone as backup to Harvey, UCF would have two FBS Conference POTY as backups on offense.

Mike Tyson Smile GIF

I get bringing in Brown in theory. Size and a little experience at the position, protects you this year if Jefferson goes down.

But again, bringing him in probably just solidified one to possibly two of Rizk/Colson/Trujilo transferring down the road.
You are presuming Brown (6-4, 230) will play QB for the remainder of his time at UCF. Joey Gatewood finished his career as a WR at UCF and as a tight end at Louisville.

You are also presuming Rizk and Trujillo are capable of playing QB at the ELITE CFB level. That is a "Rizk" Gus isn't willing to take.

Gus will have to change the running game completely if Jefferson goes down. Nothing in the RUN game, howeve,r will change if Brown under center.
The whole system now just seems to be a waste of resources/time/money recruiting HS kids. Not sure why any fan would pay for insider recruiting services/info anymore. HS kids are more likely to transfer than ever see the field, it’s all about the portal.
Such is life in college football as of today.

Last edited:
You are presuming Brown (6-4, 230) will play QB for the remainder of his time at UCF. Joey Galloway finished his career as a WR at UCF and as a tight end at Louisville.

You are also presuming Rizk and Trujillo are capable of playing QB at the ELITE CFB level. That is a "Rizk" Gus isn't willing to take.

Gus will have to change the running game completely if Jefferson goes down. Nothing in the RUN game, howeve,r will change if Brown under center.

Such is life in college football as of today.
What a bunch of nonsense from this guy again.

The info is already in free platforms an hour later anyway. A lot of the times they get the info from the free ones and post it. They never know the game day scratches until after kickoff. Paying to post is just a way people make themselves feel better about themselves.

What a bunch of nonsense from this guy again.
Ok Bozo. I will simplify this for you.

Rizk is capable of running outside the tackles. He RAN give and read in high school.

(But don't take my word for it, turn on the tape):

QB Give and Read on goal line:

QB Give and Read (final clip):

At 266, KJ Jefferson is too fat and too slow to run Give and Read effectively. He will run between the tackles. He will run Midline, QB Read Power, QB Lead, etc., on designed QB runs. Same with Brown.

Again, turn on the tape with ya boy:

Last edited:
Ok Bozo. I will simplify this for you.

Rizk is capable of running outside the tackles. He RAN give and read in high school.

(But don't take my word for it, turn on the tape):

QB Give and Read on goal line:

QB Give and Read (final clip):

KJ Jefferson is too fat and too slow to run Give and Read effectively. He will run between the tackles. He will run Midline, QB Read Power, QB Lead, etc., on designised QB runs. Same with Brown.

Again, turn on the tape with ya boy:

Off topic: Cam Newton was a different animal in the QB run game

Brown is not going to play a position other than QB. If old head Gus suggests that, he’ll transfer.
Converting QBs is fanboy b.s. and something that doesn’t work out.

You have a “face” of stone mentioning Galloway like he did something at UCF or Louisville. Galloway was another failed Gus Malzahn QB project.

Brown is not going to play a position other than QB. If old head Gus suggests that, he’ll transfer.
Converting QBs is fanboy b.s. and something that doesn’t work out.

You have a “face” of stone mentioning Galloway like he did something at UCF or Louisville. Galloway was another failed Gus Malzahn QB project.
Gatewood*

"Out of the 13 Louisville players in the 2024 NFL Draft pool, four did got get selected or have not yet signed a UDFA contract: quarterback Brock Domann, tight end Joey Gatewood, linebacker Gilbert Frierson and safety Cam'Ron Kelly."

(Gus signed Gatewood and Kelly out of high school.)

Gus has made a living of out of changing QB's positions, granted it will be harder in the current transfer era

Where else is UCF going to find a 6-foot-4, 230-pound athlete who can run and handle the football. He could hypothetically get reps at X WR in the future.

I think we can both agree he is not NFL QB material

Last edited:

1. QB is such a critical position for a team to have success, my philosophy is you can almost never have too many. Look at the differences in UCF's seasons when we had an elite QB vs an average (or below) QB.

2. The failure rate of high school QBs making the transition to college is probably the highest of any position on the field. Trusting the backup QB position to a sophomore who only played a handful of snaps (or two freshmen who have never played) is too big of a risk.

Reactions: 90Knight

Exactly, Brown is a closer replacement to KJ is than our other QBs, it’s that simple

He could not enroll anywhere else. LOL.
You literally have nothing to troll about if you are trolling about the possibility of a Conference POTY transferring to the state of Florida's *already* best running back room.

Don't hate because Gus is conjuring that 2010 Natty magic.

Cam = KJ
Michael Dyer = RJ
Ontario McCaleb = Johnny R.
Kodi Burns (Wildcat) = Boone
Mario Fannin = Myles Montgomery

(Most people have forgotten that (converted QB) Burns was Gus's "Wildcat QB" to open the 2010 season.)

Burns was a key part of Tommy Tuberville's offense in 2007. In the 2007 Chick-fil-A Bowl, Burns ran for a 10-yard touchdown to win in OT for a 23–20 win. After the game Burns was projected by the media and fans to be the starter in 2008, because 2007 was Brandon Cox's senior year. Burns started seven games at quarterback for the Tigers in 2008. He was moved to wide receiver prior to the 2009 season.[3] Burns ran for a touchdown in the wildcat against Arkansas State; Auburn won the game 56–26. Against Ole Miss, Burns was in the wildcat and threw a touchdown pass to Cam Newton. Burns also had a key reception in the National Championship Game against Oregon.

Last edited:
You literally have nothing to troll about if you are trolling about the possibility of a Conference POTY transferring to the state of Florida's *already* best running back room.

Don't hate because Gus is conjuring that 2010 Natty magic.

Cam = KJ
Michael Dyer = RJ
Ontario McCaleb = Johnny R.
Kodi Burns (Wildcat) = Boone
Mario Fannin = Myles Montgomery

(Most people have forgotten that (converted QB) Burns was Gus's "Wildcat QB" to open the 2010 season.)

Burns was a key part of Tommy Tuberville's offense in 2007. In the 2007 Chick-fil-A Bowl, Burns ran for a 10-yard touchdown to win in OT for a 23–20 win. After the game Burns was projected by the media and fans to be the starter in 2008, because 2007 was Brandon Cox's senior year. Burns started seven games at quarterback for the Tigers in 2008. He was moved to wide receiver prior to the 2009 season.[3] Burns ran for a touchdown in the wildcat against Arkansas State; Auburn won the game 56–26. Against Ole Miss, Burns was in the wildcat and threw a touchdown pass to Cam Newton. Burns also had a key reception in the National Championship Game against Oregon.

Lol. Not sure how serious you are since your posts are always trash.

Gus Malzahn heading for another losing season. What OL and TE are the RB going to run behind? Who is that very AVERAGE “SEC Trigger Man” going to throw the ball to? I’ll wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT