ADVERTISEMENT

St Pete to Partially Defund Police

DAiello18

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
May 2, 2010
Tampa
They will instead have social workers respond to the following:

Truancy, Suicide, Mental Health, Drug Overdoses, Drunk and Disorderly and they listed more.

Instead of hiring and training new officers the funding earmarked for that will go to the social workers.

St Pete is a great city run by an absolute shitbag who thinks he has a national future in the Woke circles of the DNC (he doesn't).

Meanwhile he just spent $75M to spend on a new Pier that absolutely no one wanted or cares about, and we have literal shit flowing into the ocean every time it rains because the wastewater system is so terrible.

Reactions: DAiello18
That sums It up
In fairness, the biggest gas station chain where I live has revised their mask protocol. Employees are required to wear masks but they don't have to wear them over their nose so the ridiculousness is widespread.

I see people walking by themselves on a sidewalk with a mask. Holy crap the trees are going to spread the Rona. I think to myself...do they post here?
People are outside all alone for hundreds of yards wearing masks. They think the Rona is going to swoop down from the sky like an alien and take them away. I jog by and they cross the street. Scurrying away like cockroaches

People are outside all alone for hundreds of yards wearing masks. They think the Rona is going to swoop down from the sky like an alien and take them away. I jog by and they cross the street. Scurrying away like cockroaches
It’s almost like people can be walking in public with nobody around one minute and then you know since it’s a public sidewalk people could walk by at another time. Maybe they don’t want to constantly take a mask on and off if they are walking to an area where it is needed.

They will instead have social workers respond to the following:

Truancy, Suicide, Mental Health, Drug Overdoses, Drunk and Disorderly and they listed more.

Instead of hiring and training new officers the funding earmarked for that will go to the social workers.

I’m fine with this. Police are asked to respond to issues that should be handled in other ways. I commend our great mayor and police chief for their forward thinking.

I’m fine with this. Police are asked to respond to issues that should be handled in other ways. I commend our great mayor and police chief for their forward thinking.
Agreed. This frees up more time for cops to shoot unarmed black men.

lol so when someone reports they are on the verge of having a psychotic breakdown, it's labeled as a "mental health" issue, a social worker is sent, and arrives to find a guy holding a firearm, then what? I guess we'll just be betting that the mentally unstable person with a firearm doesn't decide to blow that social worker away. Should be fine*

It’s almost like mental health issues could be left to trained professionals in the field of mental health.

It's incredible that you're able to type this while clearly also understanding the difference between treating someone in a hospital setting and responding to a call that comes in via 911 in a situation where someone is showing up to a situation with tons of unknowns.

I believe disingenuous is the word here.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
It's incredible that you're able to type this while clearly also understanding the difference between treating someone in a hospital setting and responding to a call that comes in via 911 in a situation where someone is showing up to a situation with tons of unknowns.

The person in question will likely have to be transported via police no matter what, not to mention the fact that oftentimes people who are suicidal take out more than just themselves when they go.

What’s the difference between a trained professional in mental health and a police officer from your perspective? A gun? I think most issues of “truancy, mental illness, homelessness, suicide threats, and drug overdoses” can be resolved without needing to use deadly force. But having someone who is specifically trained in dealing with mental health issues doesn’t preclude them from also having firearms training for your just in case scenario.

What’s the difference between a trained professional in mental health and a police officer from your perspective? A gun? I think most issues of “truancy, mental illness, homelessness, suicide threats, and drug overdoses” can be resolved without needing to use deadly force. But having someone who is specifically trained in dealing with mental health issues doesn’t preclude them from also having firearms training for your just in case scenario.

If you were a mental health care professional, would you want to go into some of these situations without a police officer with you? I wouldn't. Unknown environments are pretty scary when dealing with a crazy person.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
If you were a mental health care professional, would you want to go into some of these situations without a police officer with you? I wouldn't. Unknown environments are pretty scary when dealing with a crazy person.
What is your question? If some people wouldn’t take the job for fear of those situations? Well certainly. Same thing for the job of “police officer”. The important thing is we are attempting to send people who have had training in these situations rather than just any random police officer. The thought is that this can help diffuse situations before they escalate. It’s experimental. I don’t think anything precludes both the trained mental health professional and an accompanying officer from going to “high risk” situations. I mean these are instances with someone calling in and reporting something so there is some idea of what they will be dealing with.

What is your question? If some people wouldn’t take the job for fear of those situations? Well certainly. Same thing for the job of “police officer”. The important thing is we are attempting to send people who have had training in these situations rather than just any random police officer. The thought is that this can help diffuse situations before they escalate. It’s experimental. I don’t think anything precludes both the trained mental health professional and an accompanying officer from going to “high risk” situations. I mean these are instances with someone calling in and reporting something so there is some idea of what they will be dealing with.

I'm honestly not sure what the point of this is. Are there lots of issues with cops shooting people in cases of truancy, suicide, drug overdoses, mental health issues, etc? If there's a big problem with how the police handle those calls I'm unaware of it.

So you're now saying that we should deploy these social workers - but armed? Do you understand the can of worms that will open?

I say this since I know cops and I've spoken to them, and they all have stories about being fired upon when responding to situations that would entail all of the above areas that St Pete wants to kick to a social worker.

I see people walking by themselves on a sidewalk with a mask. Holy crap the trees are going to spread the Rona. I think to myself...do they post here?

A friend of my and her husband was called out for wearing a mask as they walked outside with Masks. Why do they wear masks, because the wife is a RN in a COVID unit and spends 30-40 hours every week exposed to COVID. So they feel it probably doesn't hurt to try to limit exposing others anyway they can just in case.

Most people understand the concept of the mask is to protect others, not themselves.

So you're now saying that we should deploy these social workers - but armed? Do you understand the can of worms that will open?

I say this since I know cops and I've spoken to them, and they all have stories about being fired upon when responding to situations that would entail all of the above areas that St Pete wants to kick to a social worker.
I’m saying that using trained mental health professionals in certain situations rather than throwing a cop at everything sounds like a decent idea. I guess we will get to see how it plays out. I would assume situations that pose a serious threat can still be responded to with police. Not everything has to be black and white. Each situation is different. We could see how it actually plays out before dismissing the idea offhand. Other countries roll with the majority of police unarmed and countries like Norway have 0 deaths at the hands of police. US has over 1000 per year. Other countries deal with the same types of mental health issues as the US. Only difference is a mentally unstable person in the US has much easier access to a firearm where they can injure themselves or others.

lol so when someone reports they are on the verge of having a psychotic breakdown, it's labeled as a "mental health" issue, a social worker is sent, and arrives to find a guy holding a firearm, then what? I guess we'll just be betting that the mentally unstable person with a firearm doesn't decide to blow that social worker away. Should be fine*
They’ll ask if the person is armed or has a weapon. If so the police can respond. 90% of the time these people won’t be armed or looking to hurt others.

I’m saying that using trained mental health professionals in certain situations rather than throwing a cop at everything sounds like a decent idea.
There is certainly a time and a place for law enforcement officers who respond to situations with the potential for the use of deadly force if necessary. But I do agree with hemightbejeremy that there are also situations where trained mental health professionals are much more capable of de-escalating a highly emotional situation with the potential to turn violent more than your average cop.

Yes, cops get some training too but I would argue that part of the "wiring" that makes a cop want to be a cop in the first place is geared towards pulling out a gun if things start feeling dicey. In turn, that gut reaction is going to set off another gut reaction that's akin to a matador waving a red flag in front of a bull.

They’ll ask if the person is armed or has a weapon. If so the police can respond. 90% of the time these people won’t be armed or looking to hurt others.

How would someone know if a person has a weapon if 1) it's possibly concealed or 2 ) someone is inside a building and you can't see? Are we just going to hope there's no weapon involved before we march a social worker up to deal with them

Reactions: Crazyhole
Why don't they increase funding and send both?

Because we have a vocal sect of society that dumbasses like Kriseman are listening to who, think that arbitrarily defunding police forces is required policy. There are cities that have successfully sent mental health workers along with police to respond to these types of situations, but it required more police and not less. More funding for these joint programs, not less.

How would someone know if a person has a weapon if 1) it's possibly concealed or 2 ) someone is inside a building and you can't see? Are we just going to hope there's no weapon involved before we march a social worker up to deal with them
I mean do we need police to respond to literally every single human interaction where someone “could” have a weapon in the US?

Why don't they increase funding and send both?
There is a finite amount of funding. This is a redirection of existing funding. In an ideal world full of unicorns and rainbows there would be enough funding to have both. I don’t think anyone would deny that.

Yes, because in many instances there will be a weapon.
The article specifically states nonviolent interactions. Which makes sense. And the inevitable response is how can you ever know if someone is violent so we need police for everything.

There is a finite amount of funding. This is a redirection of existing funding. In an ideal world full of unicorns and rainbows there would be enough funding to have both. I don’t think anyone would deny that.

I understand that, but of it's a redirection to one and not the other, it just screams potential problems. Yes, there will be instances where a social worker or a counselor is able to calm a potential situation. And there will be times when it isn't possible at all.

I understand that, but of it's a redirection to one and not the other, it just screams potential problems. Yes, there will be instance where a social worker or a counselor is able to calm a potential situation. And there will be times when it isn't possible at all.
And the worse case is what then? Social worker can’t handle it so then call the cops? Makes sense to me.

And the worse case is what then? Social worker can’t handle it so then call the cops? Makes sense to me.

Here's what would make sense- cops show up and if they deem the person to not have a weapon and/or not appear to be posing a threat to others, bring in the social worker who was along for the ride but kept back until the situation is deemed OK for them to come forward.

Not the other way around. Sending a social worker into a totally unknown situation with an unstable person is just really bad policy.

Here's what would make sense- cops show up and if they deem the person to not have a weapon and/or not appear to be posing a threat to others, bring in the social worker who was along for the ride but kept back until the situation is deemed OK for them to come forward.

Not the other way around. Sending a social worker into a totally unknown situation with an unstable person is just really bad policy.
I agree. Best case is they are both there. I’m assuming these are situations that aren’t unknown. As in somebody called in a situation and has some sense of what is going on. For a complete unknown I’m fine sending cops. Makes sense.

I think there are some really creative 'teams' that could be developed to respond to the various situations that traditional police have dealt with over the years.

The trouble is -- as always -- is that taxpayers don't want to pay for it. Everybody wants their law enforcement on the cheap -- until something bad happens.

Just curious how other countries handle it? Americans are so violent in general and mental issues seem a bit scary to handle.

If it's the cheaper option I might be down for the experiment in select areas.
Psychiatric hospitals and sanitariums still exist in other countries. It was decided that we were too "compassionate" to have facilities like that back in the 1970's after everybody watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

I think there are some really creative 'teams' that could be developed to respond to the various situations that traditional police have dealt with over the years.

The trouble is -- as always -- is that taxpayers don't want to pay for it. Everybody wants their law enforcement on the cheap -- until something bad happens.

Taxation is theft

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT