ADVERTISEMENT

St Pete to Partially Defund Police

I think there are some really creative 'teams' that could be developed to respond to the various situations that traditional police have dealt with over the years.

The trouble is -- as always -- is that taxpayers don't want to pay for it. Everybody wants their law enforcement on the cheap -- until something bad happens.

St Pete just spent $87M on a new Pier that absolutely no one cared about or was clamoring for. Meanwhile they gave a $0 increase for the police department but mandated that they have to implement this new program anyways and "contract" with social workers anyways, which means less of everything else.

St Pete just spent $87M on a new Pier that absolutely no one cared about or was clamoring for. Meanwhile they gave a $0 increase for the police department but mandated that they have to implement this new program anyways and "contract" with social workers anyways, which means less of everything else.
False. I've been clamoring for the new pier.

Worst case scenario is the social worker becomes a statistic
It’s just like the CHOP. Everyone knows it’s a bad idea but they’re going to do it anyway. It’s going to take good people getting killed because you idiots on the left are ruled by your emotions.

Do you know what happens when unarmed people at hospitals start getting crazy? They call the police. And a number of other situations where these social worker professionals start getting uncomfortable. They call the police because social workers were getting killed in nonviolent and unarmed situations before. Now you want to make them deal with aggressive situations with no police? Not even as co-responders? What is the acceptable casualties for these social professionals?

You’d better hope that the person that is hell bent on suicide-by-cop doesn’t think he’s more likely to get police to respond by killing the social worker that you sent in there first.

It’s just like the CHOP. Everyone knows it’s a bad idea but they’re going to do it anyway. It’s going to take good people getting killed because you idiots on the left are ruled by your emotions.

Do you know what happens when unarmed people at hospitals start getting crazy? They call the police. And a number of other situations where these social worker professionals start getting uncomfortable. They call the police because social workers were getting killed in nonviolent and unarmed situations before. Now you want to make them deal with aggressive situations with no police? Not even as co-responders? What is the acceptable casualties for these social professionals?

You’d better hope that the person that is hell bent on suicide-by-cop doesn’t think he’s more likely to get police to respond by killing the social worker that you sent in there first.
I hope that wasn't directed at me.

Why? St Pete boomed without it and Beach Drive boomed without it. They just spent $87M on an extended walking path essentially. It’s a joke.
We definitely spent too much, but it’s an added attraction that plays into the character of the city. I think it will be a great venue post COVID.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT