ADVERTISEMENT

Stadium Expansion

Ace of Knights

Silver Knight
Sep 6, 2009
Danny White keeps bringing this up. I know there is a demand for suites and that we’ve practically sold out of season tickets this year.

But I’m not sure if he’s talking about this to create buzz and excitement or if he’s seriously considering it right now.

If we keep winning, I think we’ll need it.

I'm not sure we're ready to think expansion yet. It took a 25 game win streak to start selling out currently and that's not going to last forever. Currently I pay $300 to sit front row for the season which is dirt cheap but we just don't have the demand to justify raising prices.

I also don't like the idea of pouring money into a stadium that isn't structurally sound. As much as I would love to have a massive stadium to compete with everyone else, I just don't see the benefit at this point.

Hold up. What DW said is this... after selling out season tickets, we (UCF, not you and I) will start a wait list. After we've had a waitlist for a significant length of time we will consider doing the expansion. It's years away.

Reactions: e. and JAFFX2
I would like to learn what the eventual max capacity for this thing is and what the plan is to make it permanent (cement, brick, steel, etc.) so we can exceed the "erector set" max capacity.

Expansion above Cabanna with some luxury suites is the way to go....Orlando businesses would jump on that before they are completed. We don’t need any general admission seats.

50k is a magic number. If we can average that it’s hard for the powers to be to ignore us. Even a stadium that holds 50k better makes our case.

Reactions: oldskoolknight
Danny White keeps bringing this up. I know there is a demand for suites and that we’ve practically sold out of season tickets this year.
But I’m not sure if he’s talking about this to create buzz and excitement or if he’s seriously considering it right now.
If we keep winning, I think we’ll need it.
He literally said he's waiting on another couple of years of waiting lists. In other words ... we'll build it if there is sales to be had.

Trend of people attending is going down. If we can sustain maxed out stadium for next 4 years. Start thinking of ways to add premium seats. The premium seats are selling out.

Erector set is what it is we had to build in a short timeline and that was the only way. Bouncing is fun though.

Trend of people attending is going down. If we can sustain maxed out stadium for next 4 years. Start thinking of ways to add premium seats. The premium seats are selling out.

Erector set is what it is we had to build in a short timeline and that was the only way. Bouncing is fun though.
It's good until the 2040s. But by the mid 2030s, we've gotta be looking at P5 money. Given the sheer UCF alumni and fanbase, we'll be much better than Miami by then ... much better.

It's good until the 2040s. But by the mid 2030s, we've gotta be looking at P5 money. Given the sheer UCF alumni and fanbase, we'll be much better than Miami by then ... much better.

What if Miami had an on campus stadium!?!

I actually don’t care what stadiums look like. I go to watch games. Having vendors with beer and food walking around helps. As long as I can see field I don’t care what the rest of stadium looks like. Probably also why I am just as happy watching from home though.

Hold up. What DW said is this... after selling out season tickets, we (UCF, not you and I) will start a wait list. After we've had a waitlist for a significant length of time we will consider doing the expansion. It's years away.

Exactly........ if he were to wait years to get the ball rolling on a process that will take years to implement, the expansion will be late to need. His strategic forward thinking is why he is one of the best ADs in the country. When I talked to him at the Space Coast Charge On event, my biggest take away as related to his comments were 1) this place (UCF) is a gold mine and 2) This is only the beginning, we have a long way to go.......

:cool2:

Reactions: Knight Strength
https://www.sportsmediapass.com/2019/05/15/is-it-crazy-for-ucf-to-expand-spectrum-stadium/

Regardless of how one feels about the possibility that the Gators are worried about losing to the up–and-coming in-state institution, when one considers that Gainesville’s Ben Hill Griffin Stadium holds more than 91,000, the reluctance to see a stadium at half that number as a fair trade is a fair concern. However, with a larger capacity, White could bring larger and more prestigious programs willing to do 1-for-1 home game deals and work to solve the scheduling criticism from the CFP committee.

https://www.sportsmediapass.com/2019/05/15/is-it-crazy-for-ucf-to-expand-spectrum-stadium/

Regardless of how one feels about the possibility that the Gators are worried about losing to the up–and-coming in-state institution, when one considers that Gainesville’s Ben Hill Griffin Stadium holds more than 91,000, the reluctance to see a stadium at half that number as a fair trade is a fair concern. However, with a larger capacity, White could bring larger and more prestigious programs willing to do 1-for-1 home game deals and work to solve the scheduling criticism from the CFP committee.
Good share thanks for posting

Reactions: JAFFX2

How many of those 91,000 seats will be filled when they play UT Martin, Towson, Eastern Washington, South Alabama and New Mexico State in the next 2 years? Especially if the offense reverts to recent form in 2019.

Not exaggerating, that is their home OOC lineup in 2019 2020.

I see what you did there. You’re sexy when you drop that Danny White name. You and him hit pounders on Saturday nights together?

Cant tell if you are being a dick or not......he happens to be a very approachable, regular guy very excited and willing to talk about the program. Nothing more, nothing less......[winking]

Cant tell if you are being a dick or not......he happens to be a very approachable, regular guy very excited and willing to talk about the program. Nothing more, nothing less......[winking]
Sounds kinda douchy to me

Reactions: JAFFX2
Exactly........ if he were to wait years to get the ball rolling on a process that will take years to implement, the expansion will be late to need. His strategic forward thinking is why he is one of the best ADs in the country. When I talked to him at the Space Coast Charge On event, my biggest take away as related to his comments were 1) this place (UCF) is a gold mine and 2) This is only the beginning, we have a long way to go.......

:cool2:
He gone

Things that bounce get metal fatigue that can result in catastrophic failure. That's not the kind of media exposure we need. All that positive press we have been receiving could be lost in the blink of an eye...or the stomp of feet.

I don't think it will be needed until we get into a P5 conference or the P6 becomes a true power conference.

Expansion would be worth it for the USF game alone. Expansion is long overdue. Every sell out is just another example that our stadium is not big enough. If you build it, they will come

Just one point to show how silly the argument he made. There's an AAC team that has a stadium good enough for an NFL team. It even has a pirate ship! Are they currently playing a 1-1 with them? Let's just do it all, build the largest stadium in the world- over 150,000 seats. Does anyone really think UF will play a 1-1 with us then?

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Just one point to show how silly the argument he made. There's an AAC team that has a stadium good enough for an NFL team. It even has a pirate ship! Are they currently playing a 1-1 with them? Let's just do it all, build the largest stadium in the world- over 150,000 seats. Does anyone really think UF will play a 1-1 with us then?

What is silly is that you trying to compare UCF with USF.....this is in no way just about the stadium. The Gators refused, citing it wasn’t fiscally sound. It was alleged that they might have considered 1-1 with UCF but only at camping world and that AD DW said NFW...........It is also very silly to think that the USF AD is anywhere close to DW in his ability to run a program or negotiate anything........

Last edited:
How many of those 91,000 seats will be filled when they play UT Martin, Towson, Eastern Washington, South Alabama and New Mexico State in the next 2 years? Especially if the offense reverts to recent form in 2019.

Not exaggerating, that is their home OOC lineup in 2019 2020.
FSU was a ghost town for many of their games. If you'received not winning, people aren'the going to spend their hard earned money to see garbage.

I don’t care if we ever play Florida. I just hope we can play good opponents that can help build our schedule and brand.

Agree, and if AD DW thinks that stadium expansion can help build our schedule and help build our brand, I trust him.....

What is silly is that you trying to compare UCF with USF.....this is in no way just about the stadium. The Gators refused, citing it wasn’t fiscally sound. It was alleged that they might have considered 1-1 with UCF but only at camping world and that AD DW said NFW...........It is also very silly to think that the USF AD is anywhere close to DW in his ability to run a program or negotiate anything........
Yeah. I don't get the stadium argument. It's bogus. It's not like when I went to Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin, South Carolina, etc... that there was half the stadium set aside for the opponents fans. Away teams usually get 1-2 sections, and rightfully so, so you have a home field advantage.

I would agree. Messing with you bro. I’m a bigly DW fan.

FSU was a ghost town for many of their games. If you'received not winning, people aren'the going to spend their hard earned money to see garbage.
b142d38f1de461cad051b3464f99b377

Before the Cabana section was added, I believe the expansion was up to 65,000 so I would think adding the upper deck could take us to 55,000. Not sure if that included extending Roth Tower from endzone to endzone.

SMH at these "OMG the stadium is gonna fall down." Engineers build structures to shift, sway, etc. The VZ building here in Lake Mary moves ALL THE TIME. They have periodic checks to maintain structures people. If there was a danger, they wouldn't allow events to take place. The ONLY thing I've ever read was the bounce was accelerating the wear on the structure, shortening the lifespan and the school ended up reinforcing the elements that were in question.

Before the Cabana section was added, I believe the expansion was up to 65,000 so I would think adding the upper deck could take us to 55,000. Not sure if that included extending Roth Tower from endzone to endzone.

SMH at these "OMG the stadium is gonna fall down." Engineers build structures to shift, sway, etc. The VZ building here in Lake Mary moves ALL THE TIME. They have periodic checks to maintain structures people. If there was a danger, they wouldn't allow events to take place. The ONLY thing I've ever read was the bounce was accelerating the wear on the structure, shortening the lifespan and the school ended up reinforcing the elements that were in question.

The tower expansion seems like the best ROI. I still can't understand why this hasn't been started.

Reactions: muckdawg24
^ Agree with this, biggest bang for the buck. Are all capital projects on the master plan or is UCFAA excluded from that? Figured once it's on the master plan it's set for construction (answers if), just not the when.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT