ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers’ John Rhys Plumlee Makes It Clear That He’s Not Taysom Hill: 'I Am A Quarterback'

Central Floridave

Todd's Tiki Bar
Aug 21, 2001

Steelers’ John Rhys Plumlee Makes It Clear That He’s Not Taysom Hill: 'I Am A Quarterback'​

Story by Anthony G. Halkias II, Steeler Nation
• 16h •

giphy.gif

He will change his tune. Just like Tebow.
Tebow at least had the size and durability to be in the NFL. Defenses who will be faster than Plumlee will lay him out, if he ever sees the field in meaningful minutes.

Ironic that perhaps Malzahn's unwavering support in Plumlee being a QB may end up convincing him to pursue something that will never happen when he could have had a legit career in baseball or as a WR.

A quick blurb from a Rookie mini-camp (this weekend) article:

QB-WR John Rhys Plumlee​

An extremely well rounded athlete, the former Knight at the University of Central Florida will be one of the more intriguing players to watch at camp. He played both baseball and football at UCF, and was productive as both a WR and QB. Where he plays most over the weekend will be telling for his projection.

Tebow at least had the size and durability to be in the NFL. Defenses who will be faster than Plumlee will lay him out, if he ever sees the field in meaningful minutes.

Ironic that perhaps Malzahn's unwavering support in Plumlee being a QB may end up convincing him to pursue something that will never happen when he could have had a legit career in baseball or as a WR.
our players talk a lot for a 6 win Program

Undrafted free agent John Rhys Plumlee hoping to stick with Steelers at QB​

John Rhys Plumlee is the longest of long shots to win a roster spot with the Pittsburgh Steelers this fall.

Here is a vid I took of Plumlee's last TD in the Bounce house for the hula bowl. I also went to McKenzie Milton's last game at the bounce house for that hula bowl. I'd recommend going to those games. Kinda of fun to be in the stadium and have the run of the place. The football is entertaining enough.

My guess is that he won't make the Steelers 53 man roster but will get a look at Canadian or whatever other football leagues are. But, who knows. I hope he makes the NFL. Or maybe follows McKenzie's route into coaching. Time will tell.

He just signed a 4 year contract with $20 Mil guaranteed and value up to $95 Mil if they have to play him as QB, doubt he is concerned about an undrafted player making $35k. Taysom Hill will take I am not a QB to the bank all day.

If JRP has a career equivalent to Hill he’d be happy.

By reading the headline you'd think he was taking shots at Hill and declaring himself as a real quarterback.

Anything to separate himself from the other jobbers on the practice team.

Steelers Depot
John Rhys Plumlee: 'Pittsburgh Believed In Me As A Quarterback, And That's Why I'm Here'
2 days ago

from link above:

2024 outlook: At 6 foot, 200 pounds, Plumlee went undrafted. But that the Steelers gave him a $35,000 signing bonus — perhaps the biggest they’ve ever inked with an undrafted rookie free agent — signals legitimate interest. With Russell Wilson and Justin Fields on the roster, there is of course no chance Plumlee is in the running to start. But the bonus suggests that he is at least a candidate to given a chance to beat out Kyle Allen to be the No. 3 QB. And with the new rule allowing a practice-squad quarterback to serve as an “emergency” third quarterback on gamedays, that potentially could mean Plumlee has a chance to be in uniform for the Steelers as soon as this season. Or at least he probably has more of a chance than the average typical “fourth arm” brought in for not much more reason than to be able to run drills at Saint Vincent and take snaps to finish out preseason games.

Plumlee’s background proves he’s an athlete, and he made 31 college starts at quarterback. But his experience at other “skill” positions perhaps aligns more with what the Steelers have in their current QB position room. If there has been chatter about packages deigned to take advantage of Fields’ athleticism, perhaps Plumlee is viewed as a fit for that as well.

That said, as the NFL’s official website put it, Plumlee “lacks size and the arm talent associated with playing quarterback in the NFL.” But maybe during camp and the preseason he can show enough to be a backup. And the idea of using him as a “gadget” player (think Taysom Hill) might be just enough to intrigue the Steelers into keeping Plumlee around.

Reactions: All Knight
from link above:

2024 outlook: At 6 foot, 200 pounds, Plumlee went undrafted. But that the Steelers gave him a $35,000 signing bonus — perhaps the biggest they’ve ever inked with an undrafted rookie free agent — signals legitimate interest. With Russell Wilson and Justin Fields on the roster, there is of course no chance Plumlee is in the running to start. But the bonus suggests that he is at least a candidate to given a chance to beat out Kyle Allen to be the No. 3 QB. And with the new rule allowing a practice-squad quarterback to serve as an “emergency” third quarterback on gamedays, that potentially could mean Plumlee has a chance to be in uniform for the Steelers as soon as this season. Or at least he probably has more of a chance than the average typical “fourth arm” brought in for not much more reason than to be able to run drills at Saint Vincent and take snaps to finish out preseason games.

Plumlee’s background proves he’s an athlete, and he made 31 college starts at quarterback. But his experience at other “skill” positions perhaps aligns more with what the Steelers have in their current QB position room. If there has been chatter about packages deigned to take advantage of Fields’ athleticism, perhaps Plumlee is viewed as a fit for that as well.

That said, as the NFL’s official website put it, Plumlee “lacks size and the arm talent associated with playing quarterback in the NFL.” But maybe during camp and the preseason he can show enough to be a backup. And the idea of using him as a “gadget” player (think Taysom Hill) might be just enough to intrigue the Steelers into keeping Plumlee around.
Yeah I’m thinking he’s a wildcat type guy or just trick play. Probably similar to Kordell before he became the starting QB.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are giving QB John Rhys Plumlee opportunities as a kick returner on Thursday under the new kick return format.

—No. 4 quarterback John Rhys Plumlee had one of his best passes of camp Wednesday, on a rope with accuracy about 15 yards downfield to Jaray Jenkins. A little later on, Plumlee showed his athleticism on a scramble in which he sped past defenders for a nice gain.

—But as fast as Plumlee is, any idea he's faster than Fields quickly became a fallacy not long after when Fields had a nice gain on a read option. The contrast in quick succession illustrated that though Plumlee is fast for an NFL quarterback, Fields is closer to world-class speed.

"he's not making a professional roster."

You do realize he already is on a professional roster. Then also got drafted to another professional roster if the Steelers don't work out.

I'm not getting why you call me a simpleton. The facts are...JRP is currently on a professional roster. When you want to meet at roth tower? :p

"he's not making a professional roster."

You do realize he already is on a professional roster. Then also got drafted to another professional roster if the Steelers don't work out.

I'm not getting why you call me a simpleton. The facts are...JRP is currently on a professional roster
We'll see how long that lasts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT