ADVERTISEMENT

SWAT team destroys house, doesnt have to pay for damages

UCFWayne

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2011
Casselberry
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/...lys-home-police-dont-have-to-pay-for-damages/

A SWAT team destroyed a Greenwood Village family’s home. Now, a federal appeals court says police don’t have to pay for the damage.

cd05greenwoodvillage_ko207661.jpg

this is insane. how are the police not liable for the damages?!

I don’t like this ruling, especially since it was an uninvolved third party. The article does make the point that you don’t really want the police to be worrying about property damage over the values of saving lives, but their actions still caused the property damage. I suppose you could say that it falls on the suspect that holed himself up there, but he wouldn’t have holed himself up there if he wasn’t being chased by the police. Bottom line is that I don’t think that it should be the resident’s responsibility to repair the home and the state should bear at least some of the cost.

I don’t like this ruling, especially since it was an uninvolved third party. The article does make the point that you don’t really want the police to be worrying about property damage over the values of saving lives, but their actions still caused the property damage. I suppose you could say that it falls on the suspect that holed himself up there, but he wouldn’t have holed himself up there if he wasn’t being chased by the police. Bottom line is that I don’t think that it should be the resident’s responsibility to repair the home and the state should bear at least some of the cost.
the peoples insurance is covering the cost of their house. but rebuilding the exact same house costs a lot more with todays building standards, not to mention the demolition of the old structure. also that house is completely unlivable, they need to have a place to stay while it is being rebuilt. i hope people sharing this in the media helps their cause.

if this had happened to a city official, it wouldve been fixed asap.

the peoples insurance is covering the cost of their house. but rebuilding the exact same house costs a lot more with todays building standards, not to mention the demolition of the old structure. also that house is completely unlivable, they need to have a place to stay while it is being rebuilt. i hope people sharing this in the media helps their cause.

if this had happened to a city official, it wouldve been fixed asap.
A homeowners policy would cover all of those things as follows:

Option ID (increased dwelling) can pay a percentage above the policy limits to bring new building to code

Loss of use - will pay for temporary housing during rebuild (most states limit this to two years)

Those two coverages are included on most homeowners forms.

as for the claim itself, most insurance companies are going to file suit against the city to recollect this payout which will likely lead to appeals against the ruling. This will occur in the background and not make the headlines when it happens because an insurance company winning an appeal isnt sexy news coverage

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT