ADVERTISEMENT

***Taco Tuesday Mega Recruiting Update***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Yesterday's update focused on the weekend visitors, this one will add to that and cover everything else.

As I hoped I conveyed in that update, I heard it was a go for Damarius Good and he officially announced on Monday night. Good things come to those who wait - Good emerged as UCF's top running back target last spring and while it did take some twists and turns between a Miami commitment and interest from other suitors, UCF got him. Big pickup.

JUCO DL William Hancock also committed early Monday. He took his OV the weekend of Dec. 7. I too had heard he was in the boat and that it was a matter of time before he announced. He originally told me he planned to sign in February, but he will sign this Wednesday now. He is not a January enrollee.

UCF's current commit list stands at 21, and 22 if you include Duke grad transfer Jordan Hayes who has not publicly announced his commitment. But not everybody on that list will sign on Wednesday.

Commits expected to sign on Wednesday:

RB Damarius Good
WR Ryan O'Keefe
WR Justin Menard
WR Amari Johnson
OL Matt Lee
OL Adrian Medley
DT Keenan Hester
DT William Hancock
DE Jalen Pinkney
DE Dallaz Corbitt
DE Raymond Cutts
LB Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste
LB Tatum Bethune
DB Tay Gowan

The following commits may not sign on Wednesday (details below):

OL Khalique Washington
OL Allan Adams
OL Marcus Finger
DE Miles Dickens
DT Kam'Ron Green
LB Kendre Gant
DB Deonte Stanley

JUCO OL Khalique Washington has an issue with a credit needed for December graduation. If he can't be a January enrollee, that could change things.

OL Allan Adams, LB Kendre Gant and DB Deonte Stanley have some academic issues that need to be clarified. In light of the current rules - a signee counts as an initial counter towards the 25 even if they don't qualify - UCF can't afford to sign a player right now unless they are 100 percent certain about their academic standing.

OL Marcus Finger has indicated the staff would like him to grayshirt (defer enrollment) but there is still a possibility he comes in next summer. But he is not expected to sign on Wednesday.

DE Miles Dickens is a bit of a mystery. He played at Stoneman Douglas (yes, that school) as a junior last year and transferred to Deerfield Beach this season. However, he barely played this season. If you're a big-time prospect with a load of offers, that's a bit of a head scratcher. I'm not entirely sure of the situation here, so I'm not sure he signs on Wednesday.

DT Kam'Ron Green is coming off a knee injury and I believe his status will be evaluated at a later time, just to make sure he's making positive progress and then deciding the optimal time to enroll.

So that's 14 commits expected to sign (15 with Jordan Hayes), and maybe one off the other list.

That leads us to targets who will deciding within the next 36 hours.

QB Dillon Gabriel - It's decision time for the Hawaii quarterback who took over the starting job at Mililani High School after McKenzie Milton graduated. UCF zeroed in on him last summer and tried to keep it quiet even as he took a November official visit. His superstar status was discovered on the mainland shortly thereafter as offers from Georgia and USC would roll in and Gabriel elected to take OVs to those schools.

I've heard all along UCF was the favorite, though you wondered if things would change once those other schools emerged. I still believe UCF will be the pick, but now you have the unforeseen situation of UGA QB Jordan Fields apparently transferring out. I know that was always a concern, but I'm not sure UGA thought it would happen this quickly. However, it appears UGA might know they aren't getting Dillon as they are making a last-minute push to flip Texas A&M QB commit Zach Calzada (who is from Georgia). And USC is stacked with QBs. Starter J.T. Daniels was a freshman and they already have a commitment from the No. 1 QB in the Class of 2020 (Bryce Young from Mater Dei). Whew. That was a mouthful. That said, I think it'll be UCF but we won't know for sure until Wednesday at 5:30 p.m. EST when he makes his announcement.

In regards to quarterbacks, Dillon Gabriel is the No. 1 target and focus. When and if he's in, then discussion will center around taking a second QB, whether that's Louisville transfer Jordan Travis or another potential transfer.

WR Jarrad Baker Jr. - The Eau Gallie athlete took visits to Iowa State, Arizona State, Missouri, Baylor and UCF. Heup and crew made an in-home visit with him late last week. He's expected to announce on Wednesday (still waiting to hear from him in terms of details) but I do believe UCF is the team to beat.

DT Cam Goode - The former Virginia Tech signee was on campus this past weekend. I went into more detail on his status in yesterday's OV update. I think he'll be a Knight.

DE Tre'Mon Morris-Brash - Same as above, went into more detail on him in yesterday's update. There's a chance he could sign on Wednesday, but I think it's more likely he waits it out for now. Could happen, but maybe not right now. I still think things are trending positively for UCF here.

DB Jarvis Brownlee - He's posted that he will decide between Miami, FSU and UCF, but it's clearly a UCF/FSU battle here after his recent visits to Orlando and Tallahassee. I know FSU sources feel extremely confident, but I know UCF sources felt positive after his visit there as well. For Jarvis, I think he'll need Monday/Tuesday of this week to come back down to earth and really settle in on a final decision. It may end up being FSU, but I know UCF is still in it. Interestingly, Jarvis posted to Instagram this graphic on Monday indicating he was ready to "shock the world."

DE Jacoby Jones - The JUCO star has been committed to Texas, but snuck off to Orlando for a secret visit on Dec. 7 along with his Butler CC teammate, Tay Gowan. Heup made a late in-home with him last week. UCF can pretty much offer him instant starting status, something that wouldn't be as certain at Texas. So that's the push. I think he sticks with Texas, but it's still something to monitor. I'm sure UCF is sending him paperwork just in case.

OL Darius Washington - The Pensacola product is committed to Mississippi State but has been looknig around, taking OVs to South Carolina, Miami and UCF. He was at FSU this past weekend unofficially but has not been offered by the Seminoles. Washington has indicated he will likely wait things out and sign in February, but I'm sure UCF (and others) are sending him NLI paperwork just in case he wants to end it now.

DB Kenan Johnson - The local product from Lake Minneola committed to Georgia Tech last week. His brother is Kenyon Johnson, a walk-on currently on UCF's roster. He has visited a bunch of times, including this past weekend. Kenan did go ahead and post a photo on his Instagram that he was here during the weekend, but didn't broadcast it on Twitter. I was under the impression he might want to be keeping it secret prior to learning about the IG post. Anyway, I'm not sure which way this one will go.

DT Brandon Dorlus - The Deerfield Beach DL visited Florida and Oregon this month, but he also made a one-day unofficial to UCF about a week ago.

OL Carter Habich - Went into more detail on him yesterday. If UCF feels they need another OL that can enroll in January, he could be a go.

Numbers wise, barring something unexpected, I think UCF will sign at least 18 and that number could obviously go up if guys like Brownlee, Johnson, etc. jump in too.

That leaves some flexibility for February in regards to those commits who need improve academically, other targets who opt not to sign and transfers.

January enrollees are expected to be Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste, Tatum Bethune and Adrian Medley. Also, Dillon Gabriel and Cam Goode, if they become Knights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News