ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Mohajir The Next UCF AD?

Was he one of the ones mentioned in the OS or 247 article? Or one of the UCF specific pages?

Interesting his buyout is more for going to a G5 school, the buyout was less than half of that if he went to P5.

Mohajir has a buyout of $500,000 if he were to leave for any school that is in the Group of 5. If he were to leave for a job at a Power 5 conference the payout starts at $175,000 and falls to $150,000, $140,000, $130,000 and $120,000 the next four years.

Interesting his buyout is more for going to a G5 school, the buyout was less than half of that if he went to P5.

Not sure I have seen that before. Interesting, indeed.

I guess that would make it harder for him to transfer to a more relevant competitor of Arky St?

from the slant........Mohajir’s salary in 2019-20 was $450,000, while White’s was paid $1.08 million before he left Orlando. His current contract with Arkansas State runs through 2023.
Mohajir returned to his alma mater in 2012 to lead the Arkansas State athletics department after time at both Kansas and FAU. During 12 years at Arkansas State, he’s helped guide the Red Wolves to 25 conference championships in a variety of sports, including football (2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016), men’s basketball (2013) and women’s basketball (2014, 2016).
He’s spearheaded growth in the athletic department, which went from $16.28 million in total revenue in 2013 to $40.1 million in revenue in 2018-19, according to the Knight Commission database. An increase of 146% during his time as AD.

It states in the OS article "Mohajir also is also one of the 13 members of the College Football Playoff selection committee".

I wonder if he immediately gets stripped of that responsibility? 😄
The newest group just started. I believe it’s for 3 or 4 years. Unless he steps down I doubt they would ask him to.

Reactions: Knight Strength
It looks like he assisted in the improvement of their facilities and was hit and miss with his coaching hires. I am good with him as long as he hires Lebby.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Saw a video of some of their football facilities on twitter and its pretty nice, even more when considering their conference/status etc. If he can keep us rolling like he did with them, I'll be happy. Coaching hires are bound to have hits and misses, no matter the AD. Its the general trend that matters.

It looks like he assisted in the improvement of their facilities and was hit and miss with his coaching hires. I am good with him as long as he hires Lebby.
If Lebby becomes HC he might hire an OC that calls plays. That’s what Kiffen has done since he left Saban. Then we get an unproven HC who doesn’t call plays.

Reactions: FireHeupel2
If Lebby becomes HC he might hire an OC that calls plays. That’s what Kiffen has done since he left Saban. Then we get an unproven HC who doesn’t call plays.

Reasonable points there. Regardless of the hire HC, I doubt that Randy is going anywhere until next year. He has a $1 million buyout.

I hope not, but Randy might get real consideration for the HC job. That's of we go cheap on the hire.

Reasonable points there. Regardless of the hire HC, I doubt that Randy is going anywhere until next year. He has a $1 million buyout.

I hope not, but Randy might get real consideration for the HC job. That's of we go cheap on the hire.
It will be interesting to know how the "and we need you to keep Randy Shannon as DC" discussion goes with HC interview candidates.

(God forbid Randy becomes "permanent" head coach, a sad & real possibility, I fear.)

It will be interesting to know how the "and we need you to keep Randy Shannon as DC" discussion goes with HC interview candidates.

(God forbid Randy becomes "permanent" head coach, a sad & real possibility, I fear.)

Randy getting the HC job is a worst case scenario that the program needs to avoid.

It's a milling buyout but gets offset by whatever he makes at the new place. Les say $200k. I hope we can come up with the 800k or so needed to say goodbye.

i am in jonesboro

as a razorback fan thank u for hiring him

pros he will do anything he can to win in football and he turned A-st from a nice regional school with avenge football fatius into more $ for his school better locker rooms he added waterfalls

cons he tend to stick with a coach too long unlees they leave for more $
and does not care as strong about basketball baseball a-st baseball field looks like D 2 and their basketball arena is 32 years old it looks great on the inside but outside looks dated

i am in jonesboro

as a razorback fan thank u for hiring him

pros he will do anything he can to win in football and he turned A-st from a nice regional school with avenge football fatius into more $ for his school better locker rooms he added waterfalls

cons he tend to stick with a coach too long unlees they leave for more $
and does not care as strong about basketball baseball a-st baseball field looks like D 2 and their basketball arena is 32 years old it looks great on the inside but outside looks dated
Thanks for the input, Jayman - welcome back!

He serves on the College Football Playoff committee. This is the year to make a run man, we got a guy in the door.
If his playoff committee position changes he still understands the system, and has networking connections with the other members. That's a good thing. :cool:

Stansbury is also on the committee (at least for 2020)...so we should have two people in our pockets...but we also have the wrong name and conference on our jersey so it doesn't matter.

If they are on the committee, they have to abstain from voting on their own programs (see recusal rules at the end of this). There is supposed to be something called a Conflict of Interest and recusal but isn't the fact that they are all ADs or associated with specific institutions already make that a Conflict of Interest? Rhetorical, because the answer is "Yes". Complete sham. 8 of the 12 members are active at an institution. Nobody on this committee should be active (on the payroll) at any involved institution. It's bad enough most everybody else is an ex-something but at least they are not directly beholden to pressure/influence. Even in these cases, though, if they have provided money to any college, for any reason (donations over a certain amount, etc...) they should not be on this committee. I mean, shouldn't they be subject to a large set of the same rules as the athletes they are judging as well? That would mean anything deemed "impermissible" would disqualify someone from being on the committee. This would include someone like me, that holds season tickets for football and basketball at a specific University, UCF, because that includes donations to that University's athletic department. I'm sure it isn't that hard to find 13 people in the United States that are basically football fans, are professional, and have no direct ties to any active program. I think they can afford it. Just saying. That's my 2 cents.

According to the CFP’s site, this is who is on the selection committee for 2020:
  • Gary Barta (University of Iowa athletic director)
  • Ken Hatfield (Former head coach and football player)
  • Paola Boivin (professor at Arizona State University)
  • Tom Burman (University of Wyoming athletic director)
  • Rick George (University of Colorado athletic director)
  • Joe Castiglione (University of Oklahoma athletic director)
  • Ronnie Lott (former football player)
  • R.C. Slocum (Former head coach at Texas A&M)
  • Terry Mohajir (Arkansas State athletic director)
  • Todd Stansbury (Georgia Tech athletic director)
  • Ray Odierno (Former chief of state of the Army; former football player)
  • John Urschel (former football player)
  • Scott Stricklin (University of Florida athletic director)

Here's what I found on the CFI site about "recusal":
The selection committee recusal policy remains consistent with the first six years of the College Football Playoff, stating that "a recused member shall not participate in any votes involving the team from which the individual is recused.

"A recused member is permitted to answer only factual questions about the institution from which the member is recused but shall not be present during any deliberations regarding that team's selection or seeding. Recused members shall not participate in discussions regarding the placement of the recused team into a bowl game.

"If a committee member or an immediate family member, e.g., spouse, sibling or child, (a) is compensated by a school, (b) provides professional services for a school, or (c) is on the coaching staff or administrative staff at a school or is a football student-athlete at a school, that member will be recused. Such compensation shall include not only direct employment, but also current paid consulting arrangements, deferred compensation (e.g., contract payments continuing after employment has ended, or other benefits. The committee will have the option to add other recusals if special circumstances arise."
Recusals for the 2020-21 football season are as follows:

TeamSelection Committee Member
Arizona State*Paola Boivin
R.C. Slocum
Arkansas StateTerry Mohajir
Colorado*Rick George
FloridaScott Stricklin
Georgia TechTodd Stansbury
Iowa*Gary Barta
North Carolina StateRay Odierno
OklahomaJoe Castiglione
Texas A&MR.C. Slocum
Wyoming*Tom Burman

Why is Slocum on there twice? This probably won’t help. Stansbury has no remaining ties to us and if Terry wants a P5 job he will keep G5 out.

Don't see the new AD making this crusade in the committee to push UCF into the playoffs. Even if he does, don't see how it will disrupt it either.

Danny White made that attempt with scheduling and it brought nothing, and eventually he bolted at the next chance.

would have liked the App State guy because they have maintained success through multiple HC's

Don't know much about the guy but haven't heard bad things about him either

would have liked the App State guy because they have maintained success through multiple HC's

Don't know much about the guy but haven't heard bad things about him either
FWIW Brett McMurphy and Stadium did a piece ranking the current FBS ADs. Mohajir was ranked 20th in FBS and 5th among G5 schools. Danny White was ranked 4th and 1st. No other reported applicant for the UCF AD job was ranked top 20 though.

So this guy has done a great job at fundraising and bringing Ark-state football facilities into the modern era, impressive to do this sort of thing in a metro not nearly as big as Orlando. Even added a waterfall to the football stadium, very Danny White-esque with the incoming lazy river

BRYAN-THOMPSON-FOUNTAIN-BAR_800x600.jpg

Why is Slocum on there twice? This probably won’t help. Stansbury has no remaining ties to us and if Terry wants a P5 job he will keep G5 out.
He is employed by A&M and His son is a position coach at AZ state, hence the second conflict.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT