ADVERTISEMENT

Terry turned down a 1-1 vs Washington

GaTech drove their Pep Band 470 miles to UCF for Saturday's game yet UCF could take a similar Pep Band 165 miles to Boca.

That's Bush League and an embarrassment.
There were other reasons why we weren’t able to take even just a pep band that were not shard with us. Another note, with GaTech being in the ACC they can afford to send a pep band to certain games. There is a lot of money that goes into our gamedays even just at a home game and an away game is MUCH more expensive.

There were other reasons why we weren’t able to take even just a pep band that were not shard with us. Another note, with GaTech being in the ACC they can afford to send a pep band to certain games. There is a lot of money that goes into our gamedays even just at a home game and an away game is MUCH more expensive.
Of course it is expensive. But that’s where the role of budgeting and planning come into play. When I was a Marching Knight 26 years ago (‘96-‘99), we took the entire band to at least one out of state game per year. Yes, we were much smaller back then. But so was UCF; and we had a minuscule athletic budget. usf has next to zero fan support and generates very little money from fans on game days. Yet their administration budgeted what was needed to get their entire band to Gainesville when they played uf. Not sending the Marching Knights to FAU was bush league and made UCF look like we belong in the minors rather than a year out from being in the Big 12. As a Marching Knight Alum, it was very disappointing to see that.

Reactions: Knight Strength
You notice if they are not there but don't notice if they are.

We should be bringing our band to closer games at least. Maybe we are waiting until we can cash those B12 checks.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about bands?

I didn't even notice they weren't present at the game.
How sad and pathetic that you don't appreciate the amount of tradition and pageantry bands bring to a University and its football programs. Did you actual attend and graduate from UCF (or from any University for that matter?). With such ridiculous comments as, "Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about bands? I didn't even notice they were present at the game," I am seriously doubting you have every actually attended or graduated from a University. Don't get me wrong though-- UCF needs all the support it can get from the "non-affiliated fans," so by all means, thanks.

Last edited:
Of course it is expensive. But that’s where the role of budgeting and planning come into play. When I was a Marching Knight 26 years ago (‘96-‘99), we took the entire band to at least one out of state game per year. Yes, we were much smaller back then. But so was UCF; and we had a minuscule athletic budget. usf has next to zero fan support and generates very little money from fans on game days. Yet their administration budgeted what was needed to get their entire band to Gainesville when they played uf. Not sending the Marching Knights to FAU was bush league and made UCF look like we belong in the minors rather than a year out from being in the Big 12. As a Marching Knight Alum, it was very disappointing to see that.
We’re going to usf this year though

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Except for an irrelevant, boring college team in the complete opposite side of the country. Plus, and Terry might know this, there could be a chance they even end up coming to B12 and if so that means he'll need to scrap this game and work even harder to replace it. I don't think Terry's a dumb guy. I think if he turned this away something better could be on the table.
Holy cow that's a lot of wrong.

Holy cow that's a lot of wrong.
Cool guy posting this a year later in hindsight. Still very much stand by this. You need to win the state of Florida. No one gives a **** about UCF in the state of Washington or in the west coast. Even thought I don't like Terry I'm happy he has enough sense than the randos on this site who think they know better to not prioritize a game against Florida. And what's the alternative, you'd like that ass kicking against Washington next year anyways, huh

Cool guy posting this a year later in hindsight. Still very much stand by this. You need to win the state of Florida. No one gives a **** about UCF in the state of Washington or in the west coast. Even thought I don't like Terry I'm happy he has enough sense than the randos on this site who think they know better to not prioritize a game against Florida. And what's the alternative, you'd like that ass kicking against Washington next year anyways, huh

Probably not wise to bring it back up, especially should we not be ready to beat Florida. Then you have to deal with the comments it's far better to lose to Washington who nobody in Florida cares about then to lose instate. I have no idea about the Gators, but a few years ago FSU was mediocre at best, this year...... (In concept I'd rather play instate too, when we have a HC that can win.)

Hindsight? You were directly replying to my post in what I quoted.

1. Boring Irrelevant team is in the national championship game.
2. Boring Irrelevant team is not coming to the Big 12
3. Terry did not have anything else lined up after passing on Washington.

Last edited:
It's not like UCF schedule was so full they had to turn down offers to accommodate local games. In the end I am sure UCF will adopt more a UF scheduling mentality and avoid leaving the state for OOC games. Also to be fair, as of now the team needs a easy OOC if they want to make bowl games.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Smart move not to schedule a 40 point beat down. Got any more of those Georgia Techs before they passed us by?

Personally, I'm not a fan of west coast games. I'm too old to stay up until 2AM to watch my team. I'd like to say I'd just DVR it and watch it when I get up but I'd check my phone and see the score or get a text telling me what I missed. I was miserable for nearly a week when we played Stanford back in 2010 because I was traveling all over for work and staying up for the game only further messed up my sleep schedule.

On a side note, the only one who enjoyed the game was our dog - every time Stanford scored he'd jump around on the bed and bark at my wife and I. Then he'd jump off the bed and run around the room going nuts and hop back up. Not sure if it was because their mascot was a tree or what but he was definitely trolling us. He'd whine at my wife and I if we didn't leave the TV on PAC12 football Saturday nights. He'd also whine first thing on Saturday morning and scratch at the TV remote for College Game Day at 9AM. The Saturday morning ritual was turn on Game Day, walk the dog, and then he'd hop on the couch and watch TV whether my wife and I were in the living room or not. When football season ended, he would get depressed until baseball season started. That got him through the rest of the year. He did that for 14 years, best dog I've ever owned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT