ADVERTISEMENT

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference?! Realignment thread

I think the odds of FSU and Clemson going to the SEC are likely high at this point. Both teams have been flirting with the SEC for years. The money is probably trickier so it might take a little longer to extricate them from the ACC. I don't know what the SEC's ultimate end-game is, but not being in the SEC seems like a weak option for programs like FSU and Clemson that consider themselves elite.

It's crazy how the Big 12 got ripped apart over a relatively short period of time -- Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, Colorado...and now Texas and Oklahoma. The entire time they did nothing to try to reinforce the conference. The best of what is left will likely join the Pac-12 and there won't be a conference left, leaving the ACC as UCF's only option.
IF this is true, SEC is not making a super conference. They are creating their own League. This would kill College football as we know it.

IF this is true, SEC is not making a super conference. They are creating their own League. This would kill College football as we know it.
It makes the most sense at this point. Had they grabbed Clemson/FSU first I would say its just going to be a super conference. But grabbing Texas and Oklahoma is a whole different animal.

Likely with ESPN driving this, I think we could see a tiered system. 20-30 elite programs battling for national championship, mid tier of like 30-40 programs, and then the rest. Like in Europe programs can move up and down tiers based on performance. For long term that's the best model. It provides excitement on multiple levels.

I think the odds of FSU and Clemson going to the SEC are likely high at this point.
Unless the lawyers can figure out a way to torpedo the ACC GOR, each school would owe the AAC around $300 million to leave the ACC, depending on when they actually leave. That likely removes FSU, Clemson and Miami from having any options for at least the next several years.

Unless the lawyers can figure out a way to torpedo the ACC GOR, each school would owe the AAC around $300 million to leave the ACC, depending on when they actually leave. That likely removes FSU, Clemson and Miami from having any options for at least the next several years.
If ESPN is really behind this, I think they can make arrangements with schools/conferences. Disney dropped $3 Billion to acquire SEC rights.

2023 is the earliest they can leave, after that it probably depends on if SEC/ESPN will chip in to pay exit fees.
They have to take it in steps. It is now 100% clear they are going. I assume that gets them past the GOR deal, so from there they can negotiate on earlier.

I think the odds of FSU and Clemson going to the SEC are likely high at this point. Both teams have been flirting with the SEC for years. The money is probably trickier so it might take a little longer to extricate them from the ACC. I don't know what the SEC's ultimate end-game is, but not being in the SEC seems like a weak option for programs like FSU and Clemson that consider themselves elite.

It's crazy how the Big 12 got ripped apart over a relatively short period of time -- Nebraska, Texas A&M, Missouri, Colorado...and now Texas and Oklahoma. The entire time they did nothing to try to reinforce the conference. The best of what is left will likely join the Pac-12 and there won't be a conference left, leaving the ACC as UCF's only option.
Yup, Big-12 did nothing. Agree

so this Cinci leak…concerning for UCF or are they panicking bc interest is low so far?
On a side note, would the Big 10 be interested in taking Cincinnati or UCF (to expand into Florida) in addition to picking up Iowa State and would Ohio State block Cincinnati from joining the conference?

On a side note, would the Big 10 be interested in taking Cincinnati or UCF (to expand into Florida) in addition to picking up Iowa State and would Ohio State block Cincinnati from joining the conference?
The Big 10 would never add another Ohio school. Ohio State has too much power to allow that. Also, the Big 10 already gets the athletes they want from FL. Adding us doesn't make sense for them.

SEC is not even trying to be a conference, they are trying to monopolize CFB, like Google is to tech. SEC will be viewed more like the NCAA of sports rather than just some conference in the future

So far we know its 2025, if so thats a few years before anything really changes, do other conferences sit on the remaining 8 teams for four more years or do additions happen now?

Last edited:
The Big 10 would never add another Ohio school. Ohio State has too much power to allow that. Also, the Big 10 already gets the athletes they want from FL. Adding us doesn't make sense for them.
Who else would the Big 10 add in addition to Iowa State if they go in that direction or keep the conference at an odd number?

So far we know its 2025, if so thats a few years before anything really changes, do other conferences sit on the remaining 8 teams for four more years or do additions happen now?
It will be before 2025. ESPN gets SEC in 2024. They will make sure they can start cashing in soon as that stsrts.

Texas and Oklahoma basically said we are not renewing our contract with big 12. Now comes the negotiation part of when to leave and for how much.

Plus I imagine big 12 will screw Oklahoma/Texas every chance they get once there is no going back.

Reactions: Endeavor.
SEC is not even trying to be a conference, they are trying to monopolize CFB, like Google is to tech. SEC will be viewed more like the NCAA of sports rather than just some conference in the future
Sadly, it sure looks that way doesn't it.

AAC looking to poach Big 12 leftovers​

While one reading of what's next for the Big 12 after the departure of Texas and Oklahoma has included picking up new members from the American Athletic Conference, it's possible the hunters will become the hunted and the AAC is going to make a move to add the remaining teams to its existing lineup. The Athletic is reporting that the AAC is expected to "act as an aggressor" and attempt to pick up remaining Big 12 teams, "perhaps as a group."

AAC looking to poach Big 12 leftovers​

While one reading of what's next for the Big 12 after the departure of Texas and Oklahoma has included picking up new members from the American Athletic Conference, it's possible the hunters will become the hunted and the AAC is going to make a move to add the remaining teams to its existing lineup. The Athletic is reporting that the AAC is expected to "act as an aggressor" and attempt to pick up remaining Big 12 teams, "perhaps as a group."
This will not happen

Fully agree with this.

I would welcome a tiered system in which teams get promoted/relegated but there's no sign of that being the plan. Of course we wouldn't be privy to that info so it could be in the works but I feel it's more likely that we're going to see a consolidation of money and control.

Fully agree with this.

I would welcome a tiered system in which teams get promoted/relegated but there's no sign of that being the plan. Of course we wouldn't be privy to that info so it could be in the works but I feel it's more likely that we're going to see a consolidation of money and control.
I agree, I think you could make an argument that SEC going after Texas and OU is just getting out ahead of the super conference thing, or even just trying to be able to put as many at-large teams into the 12-Team CFP on a yearly basis, but if they're going after the likes of Clemson and Ohio State along with Texas and Oklahoma, they are straight up just trying to kill the other conferences, until they are the only legitimate conference and can do whatever they want.

It's like comic book villainous plot almost. lol

I agree, I think you could make an argument that SEC going after Texas and OU is just getting out ahead of the super conference thing, or even just trying to be able to put as many at-large teams into the 12-Team CFP on a yearly basis, but if they're going after the likes of Clemson and Ohio State along with Texas and Oklahoma, they are straight up just trying to kill the other conferences, until they are the only legitimate conference and can do whatever they want.

It's like comic book villainous plot almost. lol
That's terrible for college football if so but the BIG 12 did NOTHING to improve itself in 2016

Reactions: Knight Strength
IF this is true, SEC is not making a super conference. They are creating their own League. This would kill College football as we know
It makes the most sense at this point. Had they grabbed Clemson/FSU first I would say its just going to be a super conference. But grabbing Texas and Oklahoma is a whole different animal.

Likely with ESPN driving this, I think we could see a tiered system. 20-30 elite programs battling for national championship, mid tier of like 30-40 programs, and then the rest. Like in Europe programs can move up and down tiers based on performance. For long term that's the best model. It provides excitement on multiple levels.
Like delegation/relegation idea but can’t see the group putting all this together ever agreeing to that. I see a league of 20-30. B1G, PAC 12 and CFB all have broadcast rights contracts ending in the next couple of years. You better believe there all trying to work out how to completely do their own thing. Sadly I think we’re returning to The equivalent I-AA

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay

Except they’ll be sure to make sure nobody “moves up” to get a piece of the pie. There will be no tier but thier own tier. Everybody else will just get scraps off of Longshanks table….to paraphrase from Braveheart.

I won’t watch what they put together but I will continue to watch UCF and the rest of the teams left out. These universities are ruining a lot of things with the the pursuit of money.
I don’t think I’d pay $300 a month in cable and a home game or 2 a year for FCS caliber.

Also F Texas and Oklahoma. Figures when a decent proposal for a playoff is put forth these supposed blue bloods decide to screw it all up in all likelihood. It is tiring and un-American to have this class system. What is needed is equal opportunity at the playoff. If one conference makes more money than another due to their fans so be it. But this elitist crap from the teams lucky enough to start football 100 years ago is a put off

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT