ADVERTISEMENT

The BOAT to Los Angeles Rams

The Jaguars are expected to release quarterback Blake Bortles and install Foles as their starter. Jacksonville will still have to pay $6.5 million of Bortles' 2019 salary, which was fully guaranteed at the time he signed his current contract last year.

The Jaguars' expected signing of Foles was first reported by Philly.com.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26130769/jags-expected-sign-foles-next-week

Reactions: Mikesi
F
The Jaguars are expected to release quarterback Blake Bortles and install Foles as their starter. Jacksonville will still have to pay $6.5 million of Bortles' 2019 salary, which was fully guaranteed at the time he signed his current contract last year.

The Jaguars' expected signing of Foles was first reported by Philly.com.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26130769/jags-expected-sign-foles-next-week

Unless something changes Foles is going to get demolished in this offense.

So Cody Kessler, a guy who had basically no success in the NFL before coming to Jacksonville coming in and not having success when taking over for Bortles is proof that no QB could be had success for the Jags this year?

I've used all the excuses for Bortles, but end of the day he had 5 years. Even in that one great year for the Jags I think the nicest thing you can say about him is he had moments of brilliance followed up by complete ineptitude. It's time for a change. Both he and the Jags need it.
Bortles is physically capable of making great throws. His problem is mental. He just does not have that ability to make NFL-level quick decisions. He needs a place with a top-of-the-line OL to give him an extra second.

Bortles had no online no receivers, and no rbs. He did make some wtf decisions and poor throws, but I am excited to see what he can do for literally any other team.

Yep...he needs to be in an attacking offense...something outside of last year's game vs the Patriots...where the Jags allowed Blake to ATTACK earlier...that offense with lack of talent at soooo many positions, was a disaster.

If Jags open up their wallet for Foles WITHOUT getting him new talent (even though top injured WR will be back this year), it could still be a disaster for Foles and the Jags in 2019.

Blake needs a cemented offense that doesn't change their coordinator on a yearly basis, plus hopefully have some skilled TE/WR's and good OL.

Blake would instantly be one of the top #2 QB's in the league...and he would be just 1 play away from being that team's starter.

Wish him the best...as a new home might end up doing wonders for his game (and his head).

There's a lot of things you can say coulda woulda shoulda with Blake's time with the Jags, but 5 years in he still has glaring mechanical issues. I've never seen an NFL QB struggle to throw a tight spiral at times like he does. Also, he's one of the tallest QBs in the league, but he gets his passes knocked down constantly.

Hopefully a change of scenery does a world of good for Blake, I'm excited to see where he goes, and as a Jags fan I'm looking forward to seeing what Foles can do, I think he'll do well.

Jags suck. They have sucked and will continue to suck. They are the NFL embodiment of the way that city smells. They are the cracked highway, boring waterfront and polluted river of the NFL. Foles isn't going to save them. Tom Brady couldn't save them. If the NFL allowed the Jags to create-a-player, that player couldn't save them even with all the stats to 100. There aren't even jaguars in Jacksonville. A bunch of scary cougars, sure, but no jaguars.

I'm mostly mad because this ruins my "touchdown Bortles" Tecmo bowl shirt.

Reactions: ahabmw
There's a lot of things you can say coulda woulda shoulda with Blake's time with the Jags, but 5 years in he still has glaring mechanical issues. I've never seen an NFL QB struggle to throw a tight spiral at times like he does. Also, he's one of the tallest QBs in the league, but he gets his passes knocked down constantly.

Hopefully a change of scenery does a world of good for Blake, I'm excited to see where he goes, and as a Jags fan I'm looking forward to seeing what Foles can do, I think he'll do well.
Kosar threw quite a few ducks.

Bortles had no online no receivers, and no rbs. He did make some wtf decisions and poor throws, but I am excited to see what he can do for literally any other team.

This might apply to last year due to a lot of injuries, but it doesn't apply to his entire career. Jacksonville has had talented teams. Bortles has just been an inconsistent QB.

This might apply to last year due to a lot of injuries, but it doesn't apply to his entire career. Jacksonville has had talented teams. Bortles has just been an inconsistent QB.

Really? On the OL? TE? WR? RB?

Is that why the Jags would FIRE their Offensive Coordinators on an almost annual basis? (Because they were just LOADED with offensive talent?)

PS. You do realize Blake plays on the offense, right?

Really? On the OL? TE? WR? RB?

Is that why the Jags would FIRE their Offensive Coordinators on an almost annual basis? (Because they were just LOADED with offensive talent?)

PS. You do realize Blake plays on the offense, right?

I never said they were "loaded" I said they have had talented teams. Allen Robinson was a talented WR. Hurns was talented (but became injury plagued). Mercedes Lewis was a good solid TE. Julius Thomas had around 1300 yards and 24 TDs the two previous seasons before getting to Jax. With Bortles for 2 years he had about 800 yards and 9 Tds, that is a big drop off. And their o-line was not good last year and they had several injuries, but prior to last year their o-line was not considered a bad group.

Their OC last year was also their OC when they were 10-6 and a half away from the SB. Before that he was the Jags QB coach. Their OC before him was Doug Marrone who was promoted to HC. I am not sure where you are getting this idea they fire OC's on an annual basis. Before this offseason they had been promoting their OC and QB's coach, not firing them. In fact their last OC to be fired before this offseason was in 2014.

Last edited:
Marrone was not the oc, Robinson was injured his last season with the jags, fournette is injury prone, and his online has never been considered a strength. Bortles did not have the keys to an elite offense as you are suggesting. He deserves some blame, but the whole team is a dumpster fire.

Marrone was not the oc, Robinson was injured his last season with the jags, fournette is injury prone, and his online has never been considered a strength. Bortles did not have the keys to an elite offense as you are suggesting. He deserves some blame, but the whole team is a dumpster fire.

Your right he wasn't OC but he was an offensive coach and assistant HC. He was still involved in offensive game planning.

Robinson was injured his last year yes, the previous 2 seasons he had over 2200 yards and 20 TDs. So this idea Bortles never had any decent WR's is simply not true. Allen Hurns was also pretty solid for a couple of years before getting hurt. Mercedes Lewis was always a decent TE, and Julius Thomas was a 2x pro bowler before getting to Jacksonville. Robinson was a legit #1 target and pro bowl player for a couple of years. In those 2 years, the Jaguars offense was still in the lower tiers and the team still only won a combined 8 games.

I never used the word elite. The poster prior to you said I implied they were "loaded" and you are implying I said they were "elite". Neither of those I implied. I am saying the cupboard wasn't bare like many people seem to be implying. The reality is that Bortles has been a very inconsistent QB. The Jaguars had enough around him to win a lot more games if he had been more consistent throughout his time there.

I never said they were "loaded" I said they have had talented teams. Allen Robinson was a talented WR. Hurns was talented (but became injury plagued). Mercedes Lewis was a good solid TE. Julius Thomas had around 1300 yards and 24 TDs the two previous seasons before getting to Jax. With Bortles for 2 years he had about 800 yards and 9 Tds, that is a big drop off. And their o-line was not good last year and they had several injuries, but prior to last year their o-line was not considered a bad group.

Their OC last year was also their OC when they were 10-6 and a half away from the SB. Before that he was the Jags QB coach. Their OC before him was Doug Marrone who was promoted to HC. I am not sure where you are getting this idea they fire OC's on an annual basis. Before this offseason they had been promoting their OC and QB's coach, not firing them. In fact their last OC to be fired before this offseason was in 2014.

Don't take offense. Us UCF fans love to make excuses for BB.

Also Greg Mcrae's going to the NFL.

Foles will burn up in the Jaguars dumpster fire. The jags went to another QB last year and he was exponentially worse than Bortles because he was no running threat. The other pieces aren’t there for anyone to have any major success.

Reactions: ahabmw
Any remote possibility that Blake Bortles just isn’t that good?

Blake Bortles is the most make excuses for QB in the history of football

He’s surpassed Justin Holman

Bortles deserves his share of criticism but not all the blame for lack of production.

None of this matters....QB....RB....DL, etc.... Jacksonville has sh-t ownership. Until it changes they will suck. My Seaturkeys had a good 10 year run of futility, then Paul Allen bought them and they have been good ever since. Ownership dictates everything else. Being anywhere else is a good thing for Blake at this point. He may not get the opportunity again to be a starter, but you never know.

Reactions: Wings0fred
Honestly, Breshad is being a greedy diva. Take the 4 million. After last year, he’s lucky to still be in the league. It looked like his career was dead
Is it 4 mil guaranteed? Or could he be cut and get none?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT