ADVERTISEMENT

The confederate flag and statues.

Trigeek

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2001
The mythology of an "honorable" South has been powerful for 150 years, and white Northerners acceded to it as a price of long-term reunification and peace. And white Northerners even came to embrace the fictions about the Confederacy, including the flag itself. Progress in America has come slowly for long stretches, with sudden spontaneous moments of charging forward a long way very fast. We're in one of those spontaneous moments. Fortunately the truth of white Southern history is not lost, as actual historians have preserved it for teachings for all-time. The confederate flag was a flag of white supremacy, and nothing else. There is no "heritage" except a purely racial "heritage" of domination of black Americans and, later, other minorities. Teaching history correctly going forward, everywhere in America,is part of what needs to come next.

The mythology of an "honorable" South has been powerful for 150 years, and white Northerners acceded to it as a price of long-term reunification and peace. And white Northerners even came to embrace the fictions about the Confederacy, including the flag itself. Progress in America has come slowly for long stretches, with sudden spontaneous moments of charging forward a long way very fast. We're in one of those spontaneous moments. Fortunately the truth of white Southern history is not lost, as actual historians have preserved it for teachings for all-time. The confederate flag was a flag of white supremacy, and nothing else. There is no "heritage" except a purely racial "heritage" of domination of black Americans and, later, other minorities. Teaching history correctly going forward, everywhere in America,is part of what needs to come next.
I agree. We should start teaching that the “party switch” was a myth and remind children that these confederate segregationalists exist today in the democrat party.

I agree. We should start teaching that the “party switch” was a myth and remind children that these confederate segregationalists exist today in the democrat party.
giphy.gif

Reactions: firm_bizzle
“Teaching history correctly” is an interesting turn of phrase. Especially from someone who continually posts warning of Trump acting like an authoritarian.

The party switch assumes that all people move monolithically in their actions and beliefs. Thats what pisses me off about the theory in general. Shuckster proclaims his history as a republican voter in the 80s and 90s, but if that's the case then he is complicit in a pro-slavery ideology. Thats not fair, just like saying that Republicans of the 1960s were all anti-jim crow or that democrats of today are for it.

“Teaching history correctly” is an interesting turn of phrase. Especially from someone who continually posts warning of Trump acting like an authoritarian.
Yeah, we need our school boards to approve "Real American" history books to tell Trump's story like our "Real American" science textbooks that debunk all that evolution shit.

Break your knee with that pivot?
This from the poster who earlier today claimed I was "honoring" Nazi death camps. :rolleyes:

Jews really missed the boat with their Holocaust Memorials.

It would have been much more effective to have had a bunch of f*king statues honoring Adolph Hitler and Nazi Generals around to tell their story.
Keeping the death camps standing is also honoring the holocaust under your rationale.

Based on his actions you don’t think is is acting as an authoritarian and if allowed he would go even further?

What authority has he taken?
Let’s see.
We can start with approach to leadership: Classic authoritarian’s attempt to divide and reap chaos through false narratives and rhetoric. Check

Authoritarians wage war against the free press. Enough said. Check.

Authoritarians attempt to control the media. Let’s see recent threats against Facebook and Twitter, hmmmm. Who can ask questions who can’t, denying press access etc etc

Authoritarians suppresses Democratic election. Claim that every election is riddled with fraud. Arizona, Florida and he’s setting the stage for 2020.

Authoritarians present alternative facts. What you see is not reality. Largest crowds ever just don’t pay attention to the images.

Authoritarians support other authoritarians and ask for help and favors to get re-elected.

Do I need to go on,....

Let’s see.
We can start with approach to leadership: Classic authoritarian’s attempt to divide and reap chaos through false narratives and rhetoric. Check

Authoritarians attempt to control the media. Let’s see recent threats against Facebook and Twitter, hmmmm. Who can ask questions who can’t, denying press access etc etc

Authoritarians suppresses Democratic election. Claim that every election is riddled with fraud. Arizona, Florida and he’s setting the stage for 2020.

Authoritarians present alternative facts. What you see is not reality. Largest crowds ever just don’t pay attention to the images.

Authoritarians support other authoritarians and ask for help and favors to get re-elected.

Do I need to go on,....

So are you afraid that he will become an authoritarian, or that he already is? At this point, he has deferred authority more times than not. Sure, he has the rhetoric but his actions are decidedly not.

So are you afraid that he will become an authoritarian, or that he already is? At this point, he has deferred authority more times than not. Sure, he has the rhetoric but his actions are decidedly not.
I think if he is re-elected it will empower him to fulfill his And those around him’s authoritarian approach. I want to believe that our checks and balances have saved us somewhat but I don’t think it will hold for another term. I think his base are enabling this behavior even at their own peril. (Not a lot of white collar, non college degrees people reaping benefits from this administration).

I think he is frustrated by his inability to Control.

Let’s see.

Do I need to go on,....
Yet he's deferred to the States and the Courts on every single issue of import. Also, to your points:

There have been a great number of things that were called Trump lies that have been proven to be true. Most of the things in the lists online are Trump being hyperbolic rather than false narratives.

I can't believe, with the way the media has acted in the last 4 years, that you can write that with a straight face. The press went from a near-religious devotion to Obama to attacking Trump on every single thing, misrepresenting or outright lying about a great number of them. You can certainly understand why he would start using "Fake News". They just won't cover him fairly. It's not them being an independent press fairly holding the administration accountable; it's them being outright activist against him and Republicans in general. Of course, they probably confirm all your biases so I'm sure you love them.

Those threats were made in reaction to Facebook and Twitter's actions of not covering him. It wasn't like he started on them unprovoked as some kind of master plan.

Your point here is ironic after the media of the last 4 years and your own favorite historian's posts.

Yet many of his rallys have been yugely attended; more so than Clinton was at the time and more than Biden. And Trump is a hype-man, everything is the best, biggest, most beautiful, etc. You're stretching this on both ends.

Prove it. Because we're tired of hearing about phantom collusion after the last 4 years.

Yet he's deferred to the States and the Courts on every single issue of import. Also, to your points:

There have been a great number of things that were called Trump lies that have been proven to be true. Most of the things in the lists online are Trump being hyperbolic rather than false narratives.

I can't believe, with the way the media has acted in the last 4 years, that you can write that with a straight face. The press went from a near-religious devotion to Obama to attacking Trump on every single thing, misrepresenting or outright lying about a great number of them. You can certainly understand why he would start using "Fake News". They just won't cover him fairly. It's not them being an independent press fairly holding the administration accountable; it's them being outright activist against him and Republicans in general. Of course, they probably confirm all your biases so I'm sure you love them.

Those threats were made in reaction to Facebook and Twitter's actions of not covering him. It wasn't like he started on them unprovoked as some kind of master plan.

Your point here is ironic after the media of the last 4 years and your own favorite historian's posts.

Yet many of his rallys have been yugely attended; more so than Clinton was at the time and more than Biden. And Trump is a hype-man, everything is the best, biggest, most beautiful, etc. You're stretching this on both ends.

Prove it. Because we're tired of hearing about phantom collusion after the last 4 years.

wow. There you have it. He’s the fricken greatest president ever and all this smoke is everyone just out to get him.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
wow. There you have it. He’s the fricken greatest president ever and all this smoke is everyone just out to get him.

You are trying to have a logical debate with someone who does not base his worldview on facts.

You can't debate with people like this. You can't use facts to change their mind, because facts aren't what they use to formulate their worldview.

You are trying to have a logical debate with someone who does not base his worldview on facts.

You can't debate with people like this. You can't use facts to change their mind, because facts aren't what they use to formulate their worldview.
The best part about Ninja is that he tries to act as though you're too stupid to debate and those who do are too stupid not to, and the best he can come up with is "stupid, dumb, idiot, inbred, racist, fa*, and republitard. Its kind of sad that if he disappeared from this board for 2 or 3 weeks, nobody would notice or care to ask.

Taking down statues, erasing history and kneeling is for lazy weak people. Doesn’t change anything

Black thugs need to commit less crimes and bad, rogue, racist or violent cops don’t need to be cops anymore. Howabout that for STARTERS

The above changes none of that. Community leaders like LeBron need to change #1 and we are already working on #2

The Minnesota cop and the guy who sucker punched the 92 year-old woman don’t care about statues and kneeling

Reactions: UCFWayne
No more statues. Race problems solved. Damn that was so easy. Wonder why we never thought of it earlier? I would have taken them down years ago and been the modern day UCFmikes Luther King. Missed my calling

Who’s going to be the new MLK? Wasn’t he a peaceful man who actually took action?

Taking down statues, erasing history and kneeling is for lazy weak people. Doesn’t change anything

Black thugs need to commit less crimes and bad, rogue, racist or violent cops don’t need to be cops anymore. Howabout that for STARTERS

The above changes none of that. Community leaders like LeBron need to change #1 and we are already working on #2

The Minnesota cop and the guy who sucker punched the 92 year-old woman don’t care about statues and kneeling

Just taking down the statues, not erasing history. You shouldn't be rewarded for betraying your country. #maga

No more statues. Race problems solved. Damn that was so easy. Wonder why we never thought of it earlier? I would have taken them down years ago and been the modern day UCFmikes Luther King. Missed my calling

Who’s going to be the new MLK? Wasn’t he a peaceful man who actually took action?

UCFmikes Luther King, are you having a dream?

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Glad they tore down that racist's General Grants statue.
People are angry because of the injustices. Yes this is wrong.
I wonder if we had leadership that acted and did what is right we would not see things like this. for instance listening and coming to a common ground. That would help to deescalate rather than escalate.

I should know better than reply with a rational comment with you because it’s going nowhere

Last edited:
People are angry because of the injustices. Yes this is wrong.
I wonder if we had leadership that acted and did what is right we would not see things like this. for instance listening and coming to a common ground. That would help to deescalate rather than escalate.

I should know better than reply with a rational comment with you because it’s going nowhere
There are no such leaders available.

Reactions: UCFWayne
There are no such leaders available.
No you are wrong. This is where we as a governed body can make change. Stop supporting bad behavior, stop supporting corruption, stop supporting politics that drive wedges between us. Stop supporting editorialized news agencies which only report what gets eyeballs on the channel.

Support reestablishing a law that news must provide opportunities for a counter argument.
Support Science.
Promote real history no matter how painful.

support each other.

If we do this real leadership will emerge,

Reactions: DaShuckster
Just taking down the statues, not erasing history. You shouldn't be rewarded for betraying your country. #maga
I’m sure some of these gentlemen accomplished other things that were positive

Time for someone to be a leader in the black community and get their own statue for some amazing accomplishments, right? Just keep going around blaming everything and everyone. Lazy solutions

I have authorized the Federal Government to arrest anyone who vandalizes or destroys any monument, statue or other such Federal property in the U.S. with up to 10 years in prison, per the Veteran’s Memorial Preservation Act, or such other laws that may be pertinent.....
6:46 AM · Jun 23, 2020
Soooooo...monument vandals wouldn't have been arrested and subject to the applicable laws prior to this morning's historic tweet?

Imagine claiming Trump isn't an authoritarian. Lmao y'all are literally dumber than rocks.

This is Facism 101.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT