ADVERTISEMENT

The Fire Gus Talk needs Perspective

You are correct on all points. UCF does need to make significant changes on defense, though. That unit is historically bad.
When does that happen? Should Malzahn wait till end of the season to clean house, or should he be doing it now so that he can recruit a strong DC candidate?

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
did not read the thread beyond the o.p. but as an outsider, k-state fan, i have much respect for gus. remember, gary patterson was manhandled early in his b12 tenure, then turned tcu into a player after a few years recruiting b12 depth.

i see ucf doing the same under gus. he clearly understands coaching and has succeeded at the highest levels. what he needs now is some patience and support to build his player base. byu and cincy are in similar positions.

houston on the other hand should find someone new. dana is a fine offensive mind but doesn't seem to have a clue how to head coach. his team was ill prepared and thus shelled in manhattan. that didn't happen to ucf.

Sort of. Gus hasn’t proven to have succeeded anywhere where a top 10 recruiting class isn’t assured by the brand. He lost at least 4 games every year at Auburn after his first (when he had some flukish wins). Turning in top 25 seasons 50% of the time with top 10 recruiting classes at Auburn is what got him fired. Now he’s gonna be asked to turn in top 25 seasons at a place where he will never get a top 10 recruiting class. Tall order.

When does that happen? Should Malzahn wait till end of the season to clean house, or should he be doing it now so that he can recruit a strong DC candidate?
That is a good question and hard to answer. You probably aren't going to like my answer, but it is honest and truthful.

I think Malzahn will have to wait until after the season because he doesn't know any good defensive coordinators.

Gus knew TWill from Auburn and was aware of David Gibbs through Eli Drinkiwitz. I do not know of any other guys who Malzahn knows and trusts enough to offer the job to.

Gus really needs to lean on someone who understands defensive coaching to help him find a suitable coordinator who is both available and affordable at a place like UCF.

Malzahn would benefit from talking with someone like Senator Tuberville, who always had a knack for discovering quality coaches. Tuberville found/discovered Gus, Gibbs, Bobby Petrino, Al Borges, Gene Chizik, etc.

Agreed 100%. The reason is the bar is set so low for JRP that when he pulls off one good pass or a long run, the nuthuggers like to hang their hat on 1 dynamic play...

Timmy's mistakes are fixable, JRP lack of touch is NOT...
Timmy has 9 TDs against 2 INTs. Plumlee has 8 TDs against 7 INT, and is done playing college ball in 4 games, and we are no longer playing for anything. I would want to see the team preparing for next season at the QB position by rolling with Timmy to give him meaningful reps (not junk time). I’m fine with what I’ve seen so far…as long as he continues to get better. We have no idea what his ceiling is and he has two years of eligibility left.

Every opponent is setting years long records against UCF
Talking up inane, inconsequential stats that nobody cares about…that’s where West Virginia’s program is at. Let’s never do crap like this. Surprised they didn’t also include something like …”within one week of Halloween.” to top off the stupidity.

Last edited:
That is a good question and hard to answer. You probably aren't going to like my answer, but it is honest and truthful.

I think Malzahn will have to wait until after the season because he doesn't know any good defensive coordinators.

Gus knew TWill from Auburn and was aware of David Gibbs through Eli Drinkiwitz. I do not know of any other guys who Malzahn knows and trusts enough to offer the job to.

Gus really needs to lean on someone who understands defensive coaching to help him find a suitable coordinator who is both available and affordable at a place like UCF.

Malzahn would benefit from talking with someone like Senator Tuberville, who always had a knack for discovering quality coaches. Tuberville found/discovered Gus, Gibbs, Bobby Petrino, Al Borges, Gene Chizik, etc.
You go out and talk to the best people available. You don’t have to know people before trying to hire somebody. When I’ve interviewed for jobs (and took them), I have yet to know anybody where I was going.

Not knocking knowing people and relationships are important but it shouldn’t limit you going out and getting better people, no matter where they come from.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I am not going to give up on Gus and fire him yet, however I would like to see him fire the entire staff of assistant coaches.
I believe Gus knows our Knights need to get bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball. UCF’s days of recruiting 5’7” and 145 pound running backs need to be a thing of the past. UCF needs to begin recruiting running backs with Ricky Williams size.
Back in the day, Rick was at least 6’2” and 235 pounds with 4.4 speed. Holler if you hear me!

And defenders will roll out the same tired excuses.
So you are basing things on FPI and Vegas.

Do you think UCF is the favorite at Nippert Stadium, where UCF has lost quite a few games in recent years?

Do you think UCF is the favorite with Gus going against a head coach who is 2-0 against him?

Do you think UCF is the favorite going up against the No. 6 rushing offense in the nation with the No. 126 rushing defense?

Here is my question: Do you @hemightbejeremy think the Knights are the favorite?

AT THIS POINT (and 2023 is almost over) we don't have a QB, we don't have the P5 level athletes (mostly on defense), the play calling is so so. AND....we don't have the Athletes or the bench depth, to finish games.

So you are basing things on FPI and Vegas.

Do you think UCF is the favorite at Nippert Stadium, where UCF has lost quite a few games in recent years?

Do you think UCF is the favorite with Gus going against a head coach who is 2-0 against him?

Do you think UCF is the favorite going up against the No. 6 rushing offense in the nation with the No. 126 rushing defense?

Here is my question: Do you @hemightbejeremy think the Knights are the favorite?
I think Auburn is correct here. What, besides the OK game, would make you think any differently. I hope I am completely wrong.

The Fire Gus talk reminds me of Tennessee firing Fulmer with a 75% winning percentage back in 2008. UT has been pretty irrelevant ever since, but seem to be making progress with Heup. Auburn has had three coaches in three years.

UCF is still building its program and we need patience. We aren't in American anymore. We are in a new and tougher conference.

Remind me again how the other newcomers are doing?
True but it doesn't mean we have to accept being horrible. AT THIS POINT (and 2023 is almost over) we don't have a QB, we don't have the P5 level athletes (mostly on defense), the play calling is so so. AND....we don't have the Athletes or the bench depth, to finish games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT