ADVERTISEMENT

The Stock Market Thread: Where we blame everything we can except Trump. (Unless its going well)

Currency is devalued right now. Inflation? The dollar will be like the pesos soon under Frump
Actually, many international investors are seeking the safety of the dollar right now.

That said, we really could be looking at '70s like stagflation again over the next decade. It certainly would make the national debt 'cheaper' in the end.

But it wouldn't be the best for the American consumer. At the same time, we've been spoiled for 35+ years, so we probably deserve it.

I'm most worried about petroleum getting too cheap, we need it at $3-4/gallon at the pump.

Has anyone tried turning the computers off and then turning them back on again? Will that fix the stock market?

‘Member when everyone wanted to talk about their 401ks?
No, because I not only knew they were inflated, but on any given day, I assume my 401K could be worth half as much the next.

Early retirement boomers woke up to that in 2008 as well.

There use to be a theory that one should invest on Jan 2 (or first day open after NYD) and then sell on March 31 or April 30th as most year's, those 3-4 months usually outperformed the other 8-9 months on average (per month).

There use to be a theory that one should invest on Jan 2 (or first day open after NYD) and then sell on March 31 or April 30th as most year's, those 3-4 months usually outperformed the other 8-9 months on average (per month).

I am going to see my financial advisor this week and ask him why I shouldn't get out of the Stock Market entirely for 2019 and reinvest once Trump leaves. I understand this "stay in for the long haul" business but why blow more money needlessly? I can't envision anything good happening in Washington that's going to improve the Stock Market next year.

Can anyone here convince me otherwise?

I am going to see my financial advisor this week and ask him why I shouldn't get out of the Stock Market entirely for 2019 and reinvest once Trump leaves. I understand this "stay in for the long haul" business but why blow more money needlessly? I can't envision anything good happening in Washington that's going to improve the Stock Market next year.

Dollar cost averaging. If you are investing every other week with your paycheck, when market drops (likethisl Dec), you are buying lower and will reap the benefits when it rises (historically it does over time, regardless who is in the WH).

Most "regular" folks can never time the market, hence why dollar cost averaging is a way for many to build wealth over time.

Dollar cost averaging. If you are investing every other week with your paycheck, when market drops (likethisl Dec), you are buying lower and will reap the benefits when it rises (historically it does over time, regardless who is in the WH).

Does the same theory hold true when you're retired and living on your retirement savings?

No, because I not only knew they were inflated, but on any given day, I assume my 401K could be worth half as much the next.

Early retirement boomers woke up to that in 2008 as well.
Doesn’t really answer the question. Yes almost anyone competent knows that stocks should be a long term investment and fluctuations should be largely ignored especially if you’re decades away from retirement.

My question was relatively specific in asking if anyone remembered if people were openly talking about their high 401k performance last year when it was inexplicably high - and high due to a direct result of certain political actions. I think we all know the answer to that question.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Doesn’t really answer the question. Yes almost anyone competent knows that stocks should be a long term investment and fluctuations should be largely ignored especially if you’re decades away from retirement.

My question was relatively specific in asking if anyone remembered if people were openly talking about their high 401k performance last year when it was inexplicably high - and high due to a direct result of certain political actions. I think we all know the answer to that question.
Yes, which is why I ignore conservatives and progressives alike when it comes to such BS.

Everyone knows why the economy is doing well, including before Trump too. Pumping money we don't have into the economy does a lot.

Does the same theory hold true when you're retired and living on your retirement savings?

Normally, your investing plans change when u are retired. While you still will have some funds in growth stocks, others might be more in more income based accounts and or funds.

Yeah, up 1,000 today. Only 3,000 to go to be up for the month. I'm not sure I'd be bumping this thread this month but you do you.
I didn’t bump it but I will gladly laugh at anyone that thinks the FED is not directly responsible for the past month.

I didn’t bump it but I will gladly laugh at anyone that thinks the FED is not directly responsible for the past month.

Just curious, do you think rumors of Trump contemplating firing our FED chief has had anything to do with the jittery markets?

biggest 1 day gain ever, thats pretty impressive. early reports are this christmas season was very good. people should be happy.

biggest 1 day gain ever, thats pretty impressive. early reports are this christmas season was very good. people should be happy.

I am even somewhat surprised by these sales numbers.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/26/retail-is-having-its-best-holiday-season-in-6-years.html

Orlando looks like it will be "cashing" in for another huge Christmas season crowd as well....as Orlando was the #1 destination in the US for Christmas Vacations.

The "max" visitor count won't even be reached till Dec 31st...yet on Dec 27th, 11 Disney Attractions have wait times of at least 2 hours today!! (I don't think I have ever waited longer than an hour for any ride...and thats when I was 14-15 yrs old when my sis would take me to Disney and I basically rode Space Mountain all day long).

Disney-wait-time-on-Dec-27th.png

I am even somewhat surprised by these sales numbers.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/26/retail-is-having-its-best-holiday-season-in-6-years.html

Orlando looks like it will be "cashing" in for another huge Christmas season crowd as well....as Orlando was the #1 destination in the US for Christmas Vacations.

The "max" visitor count won't even be reached till Dec 31st...yet on Dec 27th, 11 Disney Attractions have wait times of at least 2 hours today!! (I don't think I have ever waited longer than an hour for any ride...and thats when I was 14-15 yrs old when my sis would take me to Disney and I basically rode Space Mountain all day long).

Disney-wait-time-on-Dec-27th.png
This is a stock market thread you weirdo. No one cares about the Disneyworld wait times.

Mostly the Fed, and Dems took the house in mid Nov. Investors have reason to worry.

This is what brainwashing looks like people. Nancy pelosi could invent a cure for cancer and this dementia ridden dipshit would complain about her still.

Insane.

Guys, it wasn't the compooters all along, It was Apple not bringing out a new product.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

What's hilarious is that these mindless lefties totally ignore articles like this, where one of the most experienced hedge fund managers in the world directly states that computers and their Algos are getting out of hand and causing undue volatility in the markets.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/leo...ading-for-causing-wild-west-with-markets.html

But according to FC, this doesn't exist. These wild one day swings are NEVER the result of computer Algos causing volatility. Never! It's John Doe and his wife, sitting at home, hitting sell on their ETrade accounts as fast as they can! That's what drives markets to swing 1,000 points in mere minutes!! [roll] I guess I'll just wait for the lefties here to tell me they know better than Leon Cooperman.

"I think your next guest ought to be somebody from the SEC to explain why they have sat back calmly, quietly, without saying anything and allowing these algorithmic, trend-following models to wreak havoc with what has, up to now, been the best capital market in the world," Cooperman told CNBC's Scott Wapner on the "Halftime Report."

What's hilarious is that these mindless lefties totally ignore articles like this, where one of the most experienced hedge fund managers in the world directly states that computers and their Algos are getting out of hand and causing undue volatility in the markets.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/06/leo...ading-for-causing-wild-west-with-markets.html

But according to FC, this doesn't exist. These wild one day swings are NEVER the result of computer Algos causing volatility. Never! It's John Doe and his wife, sitting at home, hitting sell on their ETrade accounts as fast as they can! That's what drives markets to swing 1,000 points in mere minutes!! [roll] I guess I'll just wait for the lefties here to tell me they know better than Leon Cooperman.

"I think your next guest ought to be somebody from the SEC to explain why they have sat back calmly, quietly, without saying anything and allowing these algorithmic, trend-following models to wreak havoc with what has, up to now, been the best capital market in the world," Cooperman told CNBC's Scott Wapner on the "Halftime Report."

HE'S STILL DOUBLING DOWN ON HIS STUPIDITY!!!!!!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!

No point in getting riled up over the new normal. Its long term trends that matter and they haven't changed. The days of Vix being a good indicator of short term trends are over.

Smart man, Ride it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down then bail out...
Then be sure to stay on sideline until it recovers 2/3 of the losses so you can be sure to avoid getting back in too soon.*

Smart man, Ride it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down then bail out...
Then be sure to stay on sideline until it recovers 2/3 of the losses so you can be sure to avoid getting back in too soon.*

I know I love getting financial advice from a failed businessman, who blames his failure on Obama. Thanks!

No wonder you love trump, you are both fuking morons when it comes to business sense. Only trump has declared bankruptcy a few more times than you. Maybe keep trying and you can catch up to him!

If you invested $10,000 in the DJIA when UCF won the first game of our streak you could buy 1/3 of an iPhone with your earnings after the 25 game streak ended.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT