ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking about moving to Florida

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
I've been an electrical contractor for 20 years so its pretty much my bread and butter but have experience in pretty much every facet of construction. Getting to the point where i really dont like winter and there isnt much to keep me in Nebraska. Any thoughts on where in the state they are in need of someone like me?

I've been an electrical contractor for 20 years so its pretty much my bread and butter but have experience in pretty much every facet of construction. Getting to the point where i really dont like winter and there isnt much to keep me in Nebraska. Any thoughts on where in the state they are in need of someone like me?

The company Power Design is around the corner from me and just spent millions to expand their HQ. I would think they need electrical engineers. They’ve become a power in St Pete

Ps- it was 77 degrees today
Geez. Way to brag.

Im basically down to minnesota, Texas, and Florida right now. Hate the idea of Minnesota because of the weather but the money is good so not sure if that's what i want to do.

Reactions: UCFBS
Geez. Way to brag.

Im basically down to minnesota, Texas, and Florida right now. Hate the idea of Minnesota because of the weather but the money is good so not sure if that's what i want to do.

MN has a 7-9% state income tax. Brutal winter.

Pass

You are crazy enough to fit in, should work out. I've lived in every part of the state except the keys. I prefer the panhandle . You still get all the seasons (kinda) and the scenery is amazing, with less people.

Downside are the people are pretty stupid and trashy (it's called LA - lower alabama for a reason)

I don't understand. How can you be an electrical contractor in a place with no electricity? Are you a missionary for electricity? Did the natives throw corn at you and your family when you first got there with your magic bulbs of light?

In any case, take off your shoes and shirt, grab a slurpee and smoke some meth(that's the official State mottl). Welcome to FL.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
You guys are cruel. ;)

Just remember, Florida usually doesn't pay as well, but compared to Nebraska, it might not be too much less.

I'm not looking for a pay raise, just something a little less stressful. Getting tired of being in business more than anything.

You guys are cruel. ;)

Just remember, Florida usually doesn't pay as well, but compared to Nebraska, it might not be too much less.

Huh? If you're in Tampa, Orlando, or Miami you're getting paid well compared to other similar metro areas. Certainly better than Nebraska given cost of living.

Well I'll help you out by eliminating MN for you. You mentioned twice that you hate winter and then said you want less stress and that you're tired of being business. One thing I'm certain of is a few extra $$ won't help any of that. Your only concern should be quality of life and happiness.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I'm not looking for a pay raise,
The south is usually a 'pay cut,' from most other areas.

just something a little less stressful.
I don't know about that. I mean, I used to travel to New England, New York, DC and even the mid-west, if not out west (although that gets expensive, cost-wise, other than Vegas), for far better pay and more meaningful work.

I found a great little spot in 2015 in Birmingham, AL that I will be going back to next month. Although I'll still have some contract work here in DC that will continue part-time. They can't severe our relationship because of my industry contacts and certifications they need.

Getting tired of being in business more than anything.
That's why I left being self-employed last decade.

June-September is pretty brutal and a good time to vacay somewhere else but the rest of the time I'll take our weather over anywhere in the lower 48 but Southern California

Reactions: UCFWayne
June-September is pretty brutal and a good time to vacay somewhere else but the rest of the time I'll take our weather over anywhere in the lower 48 but Southern California

I don't even really find June to be that bad. This past year we had a lot of days where it stayed in the upper 80's which is very manageable. July/August are brutal and early September can suck, but comparatively that's a fairly short period of time.

Like you said, November through April in FL really can't be beat. I love the 60's temps in Jan/Feb and the near perfect March weather in the 70's.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
yeah June is hit or miss. some years the air can stay dry through about the 3rd week or so. The 2018 spring/early summer weather was amazing

Lol at you guys talking about heat. Nebraska summers are unlike anything you deal with.

I can attest to this. Balls hot and somehow still 100% humidity despite being as far from an ocean as you can get in the US. Pretty miserable.

I can attest to this. Balls hot and somehow still 100% humidity despite being as far from an ocean as you can get in the US. Pretty miserable.
Its weird. The cornfields put off a ton of moisture but it doesnt register on the heat index. Almost like it sucks the oxygen out of the air and replaces it with water. You just have to experience it to know what I'm talking about. For all of the talk about arizona heat and the humidity of the deep south, nothing compares to this.

This past June was one of the "coolest" ever in the Orlando area (lots of rain...stayed over from late Spring...kept temps from rising too high), as it was a really LATE summer this past year where Sept was hotter than both July and August.

Bottom line...summer usually sucks in FL (basically starts in May...lasts thru mid Oct)...unless you are a few blocks from the Ocean or Gulf, where you at least can catch or morning or late afternoon breeze.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT