ADVERTISEMENT

THIS is the most important game Malzhan has ever coached in his career.

I'm getting rag dolled by my Auburn and Gator friends on text messaging with news of the Gator/UCF bowl game.

'Malzhan can't win the BIG game'...etc etc etc...'Chomp Chomp'...

Oh boy,,,,In Gus We Trust...
You realize its a bowl game that neither team is at full strength and we don’t know who is even playing. The next reg season game means so much more

I'm getting rag dolled by my Auburn and Gator friends on text messaging with news of the Gator/UCF bowl game.

'Malzhan can't win the BIG game'...etc etc etc...'Chomp Chomp'...

Oh boy,,,,In Gus We Trust...
Get used to it. Will only get worse. Can’t wait to see Mikey Keene play again.

Get used to it. Will only get worse. Can’t wait to see Mikey Keene play again.
You should probably duck out before the move to the big 12. Clearly rooting for big time football is not for you if you can’t handle ribbing from opposing teams. We are about to get a step up from Tulane, Tulsa, and Temple.

Reactions: mattropolis
I’m confused, definitely not the biggest for UCF - I could pick out a number in 2013 (Louisville and Baylor most obvious) and in 2017 (three in a row USF, Memphis, Auburn). And for Gus, he’s had some pretty big games against Alabama to start. This game, I will be there but kinda pointless….

If you guys need cheap tickets, Ticketmaster opened up the entire south upper bowl.

Just like we took over the lead in the war on i4. UCF 7 duh*bulls 6, we need to break the tie in bowl game wins. UCF is 6-6 in bowl games. Go Knights! Go 7-6.

-- 2005—Nevada defeated UCF 49-48 in Hawaii Bowl
-- 2007—Mississippi State defeated UCF 10-3 in Liberty Bowl
-- 2009—Rutgers defeated UCF 45-24 in St. Petersburg Bowl
-- 2010—UCF defeated Georgia 10-6 in Liberty Bowl
-- 2012—UCF defeated Ball State 38-17 in Beef O'Brady's Bowl
-- 2013—#15 UCF defeated #6 Baylor 52-42 in Fiesta Bowl
-- 2014—NC State defeated UCF 34-27 in St. Petersburg Bowl
-- 2016—Arkansas State defeated UCF 31-13 in Cure Bowl
-- 2017—#12 UCF defeated #7 Auburn 34-27 in Peach Bowl
-- 2018—#11 LSU defeated #7 UCF 40-32 in Fiesta Bowl
-- 2019—UCF defeated Marshall 48-25 in Gasparilla Bowl
-- 2020—#13 BYU defeated UCF 49-23 in Boca Raton Bowl

Just like we took over the lead in the war on i4. UCF 7 duh*bulls 6, we need to break the tie in bowl game wins. UCF is 6-6 in bowl games. Go Knights! Go 7-6.

I may be dumb, but I keep counting 5-7 as our bowl record instead of 6-6

Reactions: ucfversusbcs

We are 5-7 in bowls

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
You should probably duck out before the move to the big 12. Clearly rooting for big time football is not for you if you can’t handle ribbing from opposing teams. We are about to get a step up from Tulane, Tulsa, and Temple.
Yeah, Gasparilla bowl, huge time football. Thanks for your input, you’re a big time douche bag.

Yes, sorry about the counting error. Didn't have my reading glasses when counting. :p I also messed up my last week's post by saying G6. Maybe early alzheimer symptoms and/or day drinking miscalculations?!? :p.

Regardless, dear gawd...WIN this game for these reasons:
1) get the bad taste of boca bowl out of all our mouths (some may have forgotten already)
2) Malzhan needs to erase that 'can't win the big one' crap.
3) REFUSE TO LOSE mentality...
4) Bragging and recruiting edge
5) DO NOT BECOME GATOR BAIT...

Quitting here before I make another mistake. :p. Go Knights.

He coached in a national championship game, sec championship game, and a number of iron bowls. This game doesnt get close to registering with those.

Reactions: thecalciumbus
That's just your opinion. The NEXT game is always the most important. Stop looking at the past.

If the 'Future of College Football lives in Orlando' we need to win this game.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
Well, Malzhan has a perception problem (can't win the big one) (I'm in constant messaging with my Auburn friends about Gus and they want to say 'I told ya so') and also an in-State recruiting battlefield to win over. You can live in Auburn's past all you want, I'm looking forward. Malzhan really needs to win this one. He needs to convince the players to stay and play and that this game matters. I'm sorry you don't see that and rather wallow in the mud. But, whatever, you have your opinion and I have mine. Go Knights beat the Gators.

Well, Malzhan has a perception problem (can't win the big one) (I'm in constant messaging with my Auburn friends about Gus and they want to say 'I told ya so') and also an in-State recruiting battlefield to win over. You can live in Auburn's past all you want, I'm looking forward. Malzhan really needs to win this one. He needs to convince the players to stay and play and that this game matters. I'm sorry you don't see that and rather wallow in the mud. But, whatever, you have your opinion and I have mine. Go Knights beat the Gators.

You think beating a 6-6 team in a lower tier bowl who doesnt even have a real coaching staff would get rid of the perception he cant win big games?

This isnt going to have any major impact on in state recruiting. Florida has a new coach coming in and UCF is moving to a new conference. Those things will be far more impactful with recruiting than the result of a bowl game that takes place before Christmas.

Reactions: U C to the F
I don't know who you pull for cubs79, but this is a BIG game for UCF. Especially within Florida.

"Still, this will be a battle for Sunshine State supremacy. Florida’s win over FSU and FSU’s win over Miami establishes a clear leader among the Big Three when the transitive property is considered, and its wins over USF and FAU — which itself beat FIU — also produce a hierarchy in the state."

I don't know who you pull for cubs79, but this is a BIG game for UCF. Especially within Florida.

"Still, this will be a battle for Sunshine State supremacy. Florida’s win over FSU and FSU’s win over Miami establishes a clear leader among the Big Three when the transitive property is considered, and its wins over USF and FAU — which itself beat FIU — also produce a hierarchy in the state."

I love how the SEC and UF specifically likes to pick and choose when you can use the transitive property when it’s convenient to them, yet totally disregarded it in 2017 when it’s not. Hypocrites to the fullest…

I love how the SEC and UF specifically likes to pick and choose when you can use the transitive property when it’s convenient to them, yet totally disregarded it in 2017 when it’s not. Hypocrites to the fullest…

I dont think the transitive property works in football, but it certainly doesnt work in bowl season when players are sitting out, you have coaching changes, etc. The Bowl season now isnt really an extension of the regular season because of all these factors. IT is it's own season and basically just exhibition games. Now, if this were a 10-2 UF team playing an 11-1 UCF team or something along those lines, then yeah, I think it is a much bigger game. But if you guys are looking at this as some sort of state championship, then the conclusion to the rest of the country is that the state of Florida sucked this year.

So far, I haven't seen any in-depth articles on this match up. To this point they all have been rehashing the past, stating the obvious, even calling us Golden Knights. Hopefully, we get some coach press conference to get some more in depth info. Regardless, should be an interesting match up. Both teams had disappointed seasons. UCF is a little more stable at the moment. Gators probably on they way up with a refreshed and renewed coaching staff for next year. We will learn more within the 3 weeks up to game time. Kind of curious on ticket sales as well. Ticketmaster had a waiting queue to buy tickets yesterday.

And Cubs, go check Big Kat Bryant Twitter (don't know if playing yet or not) but one post he declares UCF the best team in Florida. You be silly not to think players are calculating where the best future will be. With UCF in the Big 12, or Gators in the SEC. Thus, this is a big game for us Floridians. Your mileage obviously varies and I suspect your allegiance is to Auburn. If so, good luck with Houston Cougars in Birmingham. I heard Harsin can't win the big one. :p If not and Auburn fan, please declare your allegiance so know where you viewpoint is coming from.

As a long time UCF fan (80s), we have lived under the shadow of Gator Country. Beating the gators under any circumstances is BIG for us. You forget we are the underdogs in this and we need Malzhan to pull us back to relevance and are hoping he succeeds.

So far, I haven't seen any in-depth articles on this match up. To this point they all have been rehashing the past, stating the obvious, even calling us Golden Knights. Hopefully, we get some coach press conference to get some more in depth info. Regardless, should be an interesting match up. Both teams had disappointed seasons. UCF is a little more stable at the moment. Gators probably on they way up with a refreshed and renewed coaching staff for next year. We will learn more within the 3 weeks up to game time. Kind of curious on ticket sales as well. Ticketmaster had a waiting queue to buy tickets yesterday.

And Cubs, go check Big Kat Bryant Twitter (don't know if playing yet or not) but one post he declares UCF the best team in Florida. You be silly not to think players are calculating where the best future will be. With UCF in the Big 12, or Gators in the SEC. Thus, this is a big game for us Floridians. Your mileage obviously varies and I suspect your allegiance is to Auburn. If so, good luck with Houston Cougars in Birmingham. I heard Harsin can't win the big one. :p If not and Auburn fan, please declare your allegiance so know where you viewpoint is coming from.

As a long time UCF fan (80s), we have lived under the shadow of Gator Country. Beating the gators under any circumstances is BIG for us. You forget we are the underdogs in this and we need Malzhan to pull us back to relevance and are hoping he succeeds.

UCF might very well be the best team in the state, but this isnt a typical year. THere isnt a single Florida team in the top 25, so is being the best of a bunch of mediocre teams really that significant? Enjoy the game by all means, but win or lose, this game isnt nearly as important as you are making it out to be. UCF is going to be much more impacted by the move to the Big 12 than they are by the result of this game.

The move to the Big 12 will need better recruits. Winning an instate battle with the gators will definitely help the perception that signing with UCF is a viable option for top athletes.

Also, Malzhan hasn't won over all us UCF fans yet. Winning this bowl game will help in that regard.

Yes, I hope I do enjoy the game. Thanks for the well wishes. Losing sucks. I do got the feeling that the Gators will kill us. I wouldn't be surprised as I still have a bad taste on the bad coaching Heupel did in last year's Boca Bowl against BYU. I think he already checked out by then. I saw no motivated players and BYU was there to play. UCF wasn't. Coaching matters and I do think this is Malzhan's most important game he has ever coached.

Hopefully, there are more 'most important games' in the future. But, for now, this is it.

He never played in many big games because he has to beat Bama, LSU, and Texas A&M (at least 2 of the 3) any season to probably have a shot to play in the SEC title game, nevermind anything after that. Doesn't mean he is a bad coach. More important than coaching is recruiting. Players make teams, not coaches. Do I have to post the Kirby Smart 60 second video clip for the millionth time?!?!??!? Malzhan was 3-7 against Bama (as head coach; 4-9 if you include being Auburn's OC). Not bad, all things considered.

He never played in many big games because he has to beat Bama, LSU, and Texas A&M (at least 2 of the 3) any season to probably have a shot to play in the SEC title game, nevermind anything after that. Doesn't mean he is a bad coach. More important than coaching is recruiting. Players make teams, not coaches. Do I have to post the Kirby Smart 60 second video clip for the millionth time?!?!??!? Malzhan was 3-7 against Bama (as head coach; 4-9 if you include being Auburn's OC). Not bad, all things considered.
Takes both, otherwise Texas who had multiple recent years ranked in the top 5 for recruiting wouldn't lose to Kansas and miss out on a bowl game.

Coaches can lose games based on their decisions. Same exact group of players could go undefeated with one coach, and lose 3-4 games with another.

Seems to me that winning the Iron Bowl 3x fits the definition of winning the big one. Auburn complaining that they cannot win the NC is the same complaint that UGA, UF, Texas etc etc (insert blue blood program not named Clemson or Alabama) has. Now they are sitting at 6-6. The truth is that Auburn is going to continue to live in the shadow of Alabama for the foreseeable future.

This is not a must win game because we do not have a must win roster of players at the moment. It will suck to listen to the endless droning of the "see I told you" Gators if we lose, but there just is not that much pressure in this game. Not nearly as much as the cow game.

I agree, but after being in the Swamp for the last one.,.,man I want to win this game.

I don’t think the Gasparilla Bowl screams the big one either. I’d like to win but I’m not going to blow up my UF friends phones if we win and I’d assume they won’t blow my phone up if they win.

Agreed. Not sure why a very small number of our fans is downplaying the significance of this game. A win against the gators would be HUGE for our program. Anyone who says otherwise is being rather foolish.

he's coached in SEC championships and a National Championship and you think that a game against 6-6 Florida is the biggest of his career?

hilariously delusional

Agreed. Not sure why a very small number of our fans is downplaying the significance of this game. A win against the gators would be HUGE for our program. Anyone who says otherwise is being rather foolish.
You are looking at the "name brand" aspect of the Gators, but that doesnt take away from the fact they are a .500 team who only won 2 conference games and dont have a real coaching staff. I get the bragging rights aspect and all that, but it still doesnt mean it's a big game for either. As I've said, Floridas future is dependent on the new coaching staff, and UCFs future is dependent on how they adjust to being in the Big 12. This game is mostly meaningless with regards to those things.

Reactions: OvilleNative
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT