ADVERTISEMENT

Thug Kills Man Outside Burger King

I will absolutely agree that police bear a share of responsibility for the animosity. From police enforcing racist laws prior to the civil rights movement to the overly aggressive tactical squads in LA and Chicago, there has been a good deal of abuse on the police side to look back at. By and large, I think policing has changed and the type of people that agencies are hiring has changed.

I’ve long thought that police agencies need to hire a good PR firm. Police do more outreach into communities than you would think. But I think you nailed it, what is needed is dialogue. I think the police need to be more active in explaining what they are doing and why. I think they need to do more training of how they intend to interact with people and how the people are expected to act. They need to be able to answer questions.

A lot of the problem isn’t necessarily the police but the laws and courts. When people think that the courts won’t treat them fairly, the policing process is going to be more contentious. When the laws are hard to explain and understand, the police process is harder. Police are often the outlet for rage at what feels like an unfair system.

One thing I hear a lot is 'back in the day' you had people from the community serving as police in the community and that helped with the us vs them mentality. I don't know how true that is nor do I know how feasible it is in certain neighborhoods but what are your thoughts on that? Bc to your initial point I feel that by and large the people in those communities WANT policing ... nobody wants chaos. Clearly it's an issue of people wanting to feel like they're all pulling in the same direction and not working against one another.

One thing I hear a lot is 'back in the day' you had people from the community serving as police in the community and that helped with the us vs them mentality. I don't know how true that is nor do I know how feasible it is in certain neighborhoods but what are your thoughts on that? Bc to your initial point I feel that by and large the people in those communities WANT policing ... nobody wants chaos. Clearly it's an issue of people wanting to feel like they're all pulling in the same direction and not working against one another.
there are more minority cops today than ever before.

I’ve long thought that police agencies need to hire a good PR firm. Police do more outreach into communities than you would think. But I think you nailed it, what is needed is dialogue.

To your point, I saw this on IG yesterday. Once in a while stories ab the cop stopping to shoot hoops with the kid will pop us but of course the Burger King type incidents will dwarf it (a rightfully so when a life is lost). But you're right you'd the th investment in hiring a PR firm to push stuff like this would help counteract the part of the narrative that is false.

190422-kashawn-baldwin-roger-gemoules-cs-1239p_3fe866d748886cd016d1ba7eebd15ce8.fit-760w.jpg

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...icer-gives-him-ride-interview-instead-n997146

Reactions: UCFWayne
there are more minority cops today than ever before.

Not really what I'm asking. I'm talking about recruiting and empowering people intimately familiar with conditions on the street level in specific geographic communities. An Asian cop that lives 30 mins away in a suburb called to a scene involving rival cliques might turn out differently than someone more familiar with a particular beef. I'm not saying this is THE answer, I'm wondering his thoughts on that dynamic.

There is truth to that. Some agencies offer benefits for officers to live within their jurisdiction, but that isn’t the same. Community policing gets thrown out a lot right now and agencies are implementing it with mixed success.

Another thing that was both a good and bad thing was moving police into cars. They no longer walk the neighborhoods and interact with people in non-confrontational settings on a daily basis.

Now, the homeowners and businesspeople want policing. The gangs and drug dealers don’t. The problem is a lot of the bad actors are someone’s kid from the neighborhood who is a “good boy” to his family but running with the gangs and doing bad stuff. He can be good all he wants but the police are going to interact with him when he’s being bad.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
I personally employ 4 retired officers. Two white guys, an African American, and an Asian American.

They all have the exact same response to this call for "community policing" - it's impossible unless you're prepared to hire ALOT more officers. Given current personnel numbers are most agencies, there simply are not enough officers to have them spending hours in communities to hang out, play basketball, attend bbqs, or whatever.

So while it may help and it has worked in some cases, it's also being used as a lazy way to criticize police without taking steps to give them resources to actually do community policing.

PS- I just want to remind everyone that to the story at hand, we still have yet another instance of the usual poster insisting that someone is a racist, getting facts wrong, and refusing to admit any of that.

Not really what I'm asking. I'm talking about recruiting and empowering people intimately familiar with conditions on the street level in specific geographic communities. An Asian cop that lives 30 mins away in a suburb called to a scene involving rival cliques might turn out differently than someone more familiar with a particular beef. I'm not saying this is THE answer, I'm wondering his thoughts on that dynamic.
sorry, but your solution is not going to happen. however, the one that i mentioned is our current reality and has helped bridge that gap at least more than before.

What solution did you mention? That there are more "minority" cops than ever before?

its the closest thing to what you want to see. sorry its never going to be perfect.

Never once suggested it would be perfect and in no way do I think just hiring more minorities is the closest thing we'll get to increased community cooperation. Sk8 literally just agreed more dialogue is needed and even that would go a long way. People act much differently towards one another when you interact on a human level and this particular board is a perfect example. There are unquestionably tactics that can be employed that don't involve playing basketball games and attending BBQs.

Reactions: fabknight
I personally employ 4 retired officers. Two white guys, an African American, and an Asian American.

They all have the exact same response to this call for "community policing" - it's impossible unless you're prepared to hire ALOT more officers. Given current personnel numbers are most agencies, there simply are not enough officers to have them spending hours in communities to hang out, play basketball, attend bbqs, or whatever.

So while it may help and it has worked in some cases, it's also being used as a lazy way to criticize police without taking steps to give them resources to actually do community policing.

PS- I just want to remind everyone that to the story at hand, we still have yet another instance of the usual poster insisting that someone is a racist, getting facts wrong, and refusing to admit any of that.

I've thought about how I wanted to respond to this. At least when I use the term community policing I speak of a multifaceted community effort. That means a lot of things and I do not believe financial cost to be the prohibitive factor. It's a will to do it and learning the methods that have PROVEN effective. I mentioned people from the community policing more so as a reference to the past. I acknowledged it might not be feasible at all but there are elements from that era we can learn from.

Sk8 said it great when he talked about unintended consequences of putting cops in cars and taking them off the street. Again, not saying remove all cars and just have guys literally walking the block all day.

I posed the initial question because of Sk8s comment about communities needing the most policing having the most mistrust and animosity. That's simply a fact. It also seems to be the case that one of the most critical components of effective law enforcement is the establishment and maintenance of public trust.

So yes, just hiring a bunch of guys to play basketball with kids is lazy and I don't want to get distracted on that. As you point out, the emphasis should be on identifying what is working and providing education and resources to actually do effective community policing. I understand you know this. Just making sure you understand I don't think the solution is bball playing cops.

Chief Robert Fager of the HPD sums up the value of this kind of engagement best: “To think that societal relationships are a secondary priority in running a public safety organization is professional suicide. Law enforcement is built upon the trust and needs of its community—and with the advent of social media and information access, that community can be national in scope. Our department’s contemporary philosophy integrates direct interaction with our citizenry through community forums, youth scholastic and sports partnerships, no-cost driver safety and basic first-aid classes, and our personal pride—Coffee with a Cop.

“In essence, create offerings that move or attract people, then invest your staff in it. Not only do you derive true-value feedback, but moreover, you literally reintroduce police officers and citizens to each other, with no overtone, and allow them to reinvigorate the common goal of a safer, more enriched community.”

These trust-building non-enforcement activities cost little in terms of money, time, or effort, but they pay huge dividends in public safety.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch/06-2015/community_engagement_and_partnership_building.asp

============

However, many agencies have said they were employing community policing, but, in reality, they do not understand what true community policing is. It is not a program or a dedicated person or division called the community policing officer or community policing division—community policing is an organizational philosophy that must be embraced from the top-down and the bottom-up. It is a true understanding that the police cannot do it alone and must build partnerships with the community to solve community problems. Crime is a community problem, not just a police problem. The solution to crime is rooted in crime prevention and the prevention of problems conducive to criminal behavior. Many of the law enforcement agencies who practice community policing miss the key foundation of prevention. The end goal of prevention and community policing is an improved quality of life for the community. This means the end goal for all law enforcement agencies should be improving the quality of life for those who live in, visit, or own a business in their communities. Public trust can be improved or restored and crime reduced through this collaborative approach to policing. The following are seven steps to building public trust in policing using a prevention-focused policing model:

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/prevention-focused-community-policing/

I've thought about how I wanted to respond to this. At least when I use the term community policing I speak of a multifaceted community effort. That means a lot of things and I do not believe financial cost to be the prohibitive factor. It's a will to do it and learning the methods that have PROVEN effective. I mentioned people from the community policing more so as a reference to the past. I acknowledged it might not be feasible at all but there are elements from that era we can learn from.

Sk8 said it great when he talked about unintended consequences of putting cops in cars and taking them off the street. Again, not saying remove all cars and just have guys literally walking the block all day.

I posed the initial question because of Sk8s comment about communities needing the most policing having the most mistrust and animosity. That's simply a fact. It also seems to be the case that one of the most critical components of effective law enforcement is the establishment and maintenance of public trust.

So yes, just hiring a bunch of guys to play basketball with kids is lazy and I don't want to get distracted on that. As you point out, the emphasis should be on identifying what is working and providing education and resources to actually do effective community policing. I understand you know this. Just making sure you understand I don't think the solution is bball playing cops.

Chief Robert Fager of the HPD sums up the value of this kind of engagement best: “To think that societal relationships are a secondary priority in running a public safety organization is professional suicide. Law enforcement is built upon the trust and needs of its community—and with the advent of social media and information access, that community can be national in scope. Our department’s contemporary philosophy integrates direct interaction with our citizenry through community forums, youth scholastic and sports partnerships, no-cost driver safety and basic first-aid classes, and our personal pride—Coffee with a Cop.

“In essence, create offerings that move or attract people, then invest your staff in it. Not only do you derive true-value feedback, but moreover, you literally reintroduce police officers and citizens to each other, with no overtone, and allow them to reinvigorate the common goal of a safer, more enriched community.”

These trust-building non-enforcement activities cost little in terms of money, time, or effort, but they pay huge dividends in public safety.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/html/dispatch/06-2015/community_engagement_and_partnership_building.asp

============

However, many agencies have said they were employing community policing, but, in reality, they do not understand what true community policing is. It is not a program or a dedicated person or division called the community policing officer or community policing division—community policing is an organizational philosophy that must be embraced from the top-down and the bottom-up. It is a true understanding that the police cannot do it alone and must build partnerships with the community to solve community problems. Crime is a community problem, not just a police problem. The solution to crime is rooted in crime prevention and the prevention of problems conducive to criminal behavior. Many of the law enforcement agencies who practice community policing miss the key foundation of prevention. The end goal of prevention and community policing is an improved quality of life for the community. This means the end goal for all law enforcement agencies should be improving the quality of life for those who live in, visit, or own a business in their communities. Public trust can be improved or restored and crime reduced through this collaborative approach to policing. The following are seven steps to building public trust in policing using a prevention-focused policing model:

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/prevention-focused-community-policing/

I know, I was oversimplifying but what you linked to here and wrote is good stuff. And not that different from what my team says and what their retired or active officer friends say. They all agree that is CAN work and would be fantastic to actively engage in as an agency, but again, it comes down to resources and sadly a lot of these agencies are strapped most all the time.

I know that St Pete PD has taken up this initiative as well as you can to combat the massive issue with juvenile car theft that is rampant in the area, most all at the hands of kids coming out of south St Pete. I think at one point Pinellas led the nation in juvenile car theft.

The issue that SPPD ran into was that the community forums, active engagement sessions, etc were frequently with people that had little to do with the issue at hand. They'd have great engagement with the community, even with community leaders, but ultimately the families of the kids doing all of this weren't participating. The problem did get curbed to some degree thanks to this effort but it's still an issue.

I do know that intel sharing from south St Pete to SPPD is much better now than it was. In the past there was a wall of silence that assured no crimes were ever solved and no one was ever arrested. That has improved a lot.

Reactions: ChrisKnight06
Ha I really don't care about cops going to jail, just hate the zeal with which some (certainly a small minority) carry out our controllers' bidding to go along with the ridiculousness of the entire legal system industrial complex whether its crack or now opioids, should be obvious on its face what its designed to do, but it isn't because Drumpf vs Democrats, sportsball, GoT & comic book movies... whatever.

Ha I really don't care about cops going to jail, just hate the zeal with which some (certainly a small minority) carry out our controllers' bidding to go along with the ridiculousness of the entire legal system industrial complex whether its crack or now opioids, should be obvious on its face what its designed to do, but it isn't because Drumpf vs Democrats, sportsball, GoT & comic book movies... whatever.
See, I know better, but when you post stuff like this I picture you spending your days driving around in an old station wagon with Sovereign Citizen propaganda plastered over all the windows.

See, I know better, but when you post stuff like this I picture you spending your days driving around in an old station wagon with Sovereign Citizen propaganda plastered over all the windows.
I’m guilty as charged as far as being fascinated by the conspiracy theories that gets someone there (strawman identity/ matrix etc). You’re right tho not going sovereign citizen propaganda lol NARK.

Neither do I, but this cop was way out of bounds and at the least should never be a cop again.
Agree. The frustrating thing is this guy was a Somali refugee and had worked his way to become one of the few from his community to become a police officer. He should’ve been a bridge between the community and law enforcement. Instead, hiring the guy was a tragic mistake that I’m sure wounded that relationship to some degree.

For those of you hell bent on seeing a cop go to jail (@1ofTheseKnights), here's one for you: https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/05/former-cop-mohamed-noor-convicted-of-murdering-justine-damond/

This story has a good discussion on the legal aspects of reasonable fear and self defense.

This video thinks otherwise.

Some reasons he gives.

Being a cop is a tough job.
he's a cop in a bad neighborhood.
Damond should've stayed in the house and not run over and bang on the cop car in the middle of the night.
Damond was on drugs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT