ADVERTISEMENT

Time to cancel all student debt

Cancel all current student loan debt and 100% deny repayment to anyone who paid off their loans on time. $303,000 today was like $1000 dollars when all them richers took out loans.

• Haha
Reactions: goodknightfl
This teacher has $303k in student debt that should be cleared.

Where were Cheryl's parents and guidance counselor(s) when these financial decisions were made?

Raise the lending age to 21!

• Love
Reactions: Crazyhole and UCFBS
So ... standard BS alternative thinking here ...

Instead of forgiving debt, how about forcing caps on interest, including rolling back terms? That's how we used to do things?

We also used to forgive loans, partially, only if people took jobs in low-income areas or joined the Peace Corps and even Clinton's Americorps (which I thought was a good idea).

Why are we just going for flat-out subsidy now?

That said, as always ...

So ... standard BS alternative thinking here ...

Instead of forgiving debt, how about forcing caps on interest, including rolling back terms? That's how we used to do things?

We also used to forgive loans, partially, only if people took jobs in low-income areas or joined the Peace Corps and even Clinton's Americorps (which I thought was a good idea).

Why are we just going for flat-out subsidy now?

That said, as always ...

I would agree with modifying terms: extending periods, converting to interest-free (while making minimum payments), and as you said, reducing the principle - in the form of a tax rebate, similar to the EIPs - while working for a qualified employer/organization.

To completely forgive loans to those not paying their debts is a complete slap in the face to those of us who made better decisions, and busted tail to pay off what debts we did commit to.

There were reasons outside my control that 'encouraged' me to choose to goto a community college, then a local, public in-state university... In addition to strategically selecting a degree with high employment and income potential.

Last edited:
...and grotesquely enough, when in D.C. for work, making small chat with an esteemed local resident on the train, she had a brilliant strategy to continue staying in school, getting odd degrees, because it meant she didn't have to make payments towards the loans... wtf? Do "we" want to reward that behavior?

...and grotesquely enough, when in D.C. for work, making small chat with an esteemed local resident on the train, she had a brilliant strategy to continue staying in school, getting odd degrees, because it meant she didn't have to make payments towards the loans... wtf? Do "we" want to reward that behavior?
The left wants to reward it. They like it when people are lazy and dependent on the government, so when they turn into the oppressive fascists that they want to be they won't have to work very hard to control people.

Only way to solve it by canceling all student debt and free college and free housing. Credit card debt and other revolving debt needs to be next.

Another “only in America” problem.
Guns ain't causing the population to take advantage of the education lending system...

Thoughts on the drivers of this pandemic?

Selfish, "take what you can get" culture perhaps? ...stemming from lack of home discipline?

I watched a family that just moved from NYC at a family-owend agritourism farm where I live, take 10x the "complimentary" animal feeding cups they offered to children... Literally by the handful for each of their kids when no one from the farm was looking... Cost maybe negligible, but the principle was heartbreaking.

Not my circus . Not my monkeys. I am kid number 5 out of 6 who went to college in my family. I paid for my own schooling , twice with two degrees. I then saved for my own kids.i paid for a Florida prepaid plan and put money in a 529.

So, how is this student debt cancellation idea remotely fair to people who did it right and better yet to folks who don't go to college and say own a landscaping business or plumbing shop or what ever who pay taxes. Why should hard working folks who didn't make bad choices pay for those who did ?

If we are going down this path which I don't think we should but if we do where in the hell is my check for my student loans I paid off and what about a check to pay me back for saving and doing the right thing by my own kids? Oh wait,. I will get my son to get a student loan or two and he can pay me money!! Then the you suckers with your tax dollars will pay my kid's loan off! Perfect ! Maybe I buy that new boat finally? This could work . Yep, I am all for student debt cancellation now!

Reactions: Crazyhole
Guns ain't causing the population to take advantage of the education lending system...

Thoughts on the drivers of this pandemic?

Selfish, "take what you can get" culture perhaps? ...stemming from lack of home discipline?

I watched a family that just moved from NYC at a family-owend agritourism farm where I live, take 10x the "complimentary" animal feeding cups they offered to children... Literally by the handful for each of their kids when no one from the farm was looking... Cost maybe negligible, but the principle was heartbreaking.
Tuition increases that have outpaced CPI by 1000% over the past 40 years. A higher proportion of jobs necessitate a college degree than 40 years ago. There is an exploding cost of housing.

It has more to do with these things than the kids being on your lawn.

Other countries embrace the idea that good ideas are amplified by opportunity. How many good ideas have been stifled over the course of history because of lack of opportunity? How much is stifled in this country due to decisions about funding of a persons higher education?

40 years ago a college degree was something people were proud of. Now it’s the norm, colleges are viewed as liberal indoctrination camps, graduates exit with massive debt, and people debate how we can can keep our future generations financially solvent under the current education model. Or whether schools have been hardened enough to prevent students from being murdered.

Meanwhile, in other countries the promise of an education isn’t this life altering financial decision one is forced to make at 18 years of age. It’s an expectation that a more educated populous is mutually beneficial to all citizens. This is a concept that only half of this country seems to understand.

Tuition increases that have outpaced CPI by 1000% over the past 40 years. A higher proportion of jobs necessitate a college degree than 40 years ago. There is an exploding cost of housing.

Other countries embrace the idea that good ideas are amplified by opportunity. How many good ideas have been stifled over the course of history because of lack of opportunity? How much is stifled in this country due to decisions about funding of a persons higher education?

40 years ago a college degree was something people were proud of. Now it’s the norm, colleges are viewed as liberal indoctrination camps, graduates exit with massive debt, and people debate how we can can keep our future generations financially solvent under the current education model. Or whether schools have been hardened enough to prevent students from being murdered.

Meanwhile, in other countries the promise of an education isn’t this life altering financial decision one is forced to make at 18 years of age. It’s an expectation that a more educated populous is mutually beneficial to all citizens. This is a concept that only half of this country seems to understand.
The solution to people getting worthless degrees that don’t make them employable and don’t help them achieve higher quality of life AND going into massive debt to do it is not to simply forgive student loan debt.

The FVCK is wrong with the system if it costs someone $300k to become a TEACHER?

We’ve broken the education market by handing literally kids the ability to go into more than a quarter of a MILLION dollars of debt to study things that will not give them the ability to make enough to pay it back.

And why do the banks and government feel great making these loans? Because they’re completely attached to you until you die or pay them off. They’re not like other debt. They’re WORSE for a consumer than credit card debt.

Fix the system that makes financially illiterate and poor 17-18 year old students a fantastic target for predatory lending that traps them into a lifetime of indentured servitude. THEN we can talk about student debt relief.

The solution to people getting worthless degrees that don’t make them employable and don’t help them achieve higher quality of life AND going into massive debt to do it is not to simply forgive student loan debt.

The FVCK is wrong with the system if it costs someone $300k to become a TEACHER?

We’ve broken the education market by handing literally kids the ability to go into more than a quarter of a MILLION dollars of debt to study things that will not give them the ability to make enough to pay it back.

And why do the banks and government feel great making these loans? Because they’re completely attached to you until you die or pay them off. They’re not like other debt. They’re WORSE for a consumer than credit card debt.

Fix the system that makes financially illiterate and poor 17-18 year old students a fantastic target for predatory lending that traps them into a lifetime of indentured servitude. THEN we can talk about student debt relief.
Careful there. It sounds like you are criticizing the banking and finance industry.

I would agree with modifying terms: extending periods, converting to interest-free (while making minimum payments), and as you said, reducing the principle - in the form of a tax rebate, similar to the EIPs - while working for a qualified employer/organization.
Banks shouldn't be able to collect as much as they have in interest... like more than a mortgage.

Granted, people shouldn't be so misguided to borrow so much and at high rates. I mean ... even in the mid-to-late '90s, my wife's student loan interest rates were lower than our mortgate interest rates, and mortgage rates were 2-3x higher back then.

We Libertarians have many sayings around this ... that, yeah, the system should protect you, but ... it won't, we guarantee it won't at some point, so ... don't be ignorant ... know the cost to borrow ... the consequences of doing anything -- whether it's a mortgage or student loans or anything else -- so you don't get f'd by the system, especiallly when government gets involved. And we've been proven correct again and again and again.

Because once the feds got way too involved during the Clinton and W. administrations -- and W.'s wife was big on education and added yet more funding (it's the opposite of what the Mass Media clains) and made some of this far, far worse for people (yet, more public funding making things worse many times!) -- banks were able to take advantage ofall sorts of things.

That's been my main issue, and why I wish they'd really address that, and not forgiveness as much. Obama talked about doing some good things about interest, then got the 'forgiveness' bug and we've been f'd since.

To completely forgive loans to those not paying their debts is a complete slap in the face to those of us who made better decisions, and busted tail to pay off what debts we did commit to.
My wife had about $4,000 forgiven for spending 6 years teaching in poor income areas. There are many options for various fields, especially educators like the woman in this article.

Clinton had Americorps that forgave student loan debt too. Clinton started some of the student loan mess, and W. acclerated it, probalby more than anyone. Obama then tried to address it and made it even worse.

I understand Obama was trying to avoid ex-post-facto, but at some point ... the banks had made even more money than they should have. It's really a prime example of how the feds make things worse.

There were reasons outside my control that 'encouraged' me to choose to goto a community college, then a local, public in-state university... In addition to strategically selecting a degree with high employment and income potential.
Even UCF students can be Transient students, as an UCF locked into their degree and requirements, and take nearly all their classes their first 2 years at any state community/4-year college ... fully signed off that the classes will apply.

I did it when I had trouble getting classes in the '90s because UCF was booming and sections were closing early.

But yes, people either need to pick up a trade as a fallback or pick a degree that has demand. I know a lot of arts majors who get into IT for this reason, as a fallback. Me? I was already doing IT, and studied EE w/semiconductor because I wanted to understand the physical-analog world of what I was working on.

People also forget college really isn't about a job, but bettering ones knowledge. I have no idea when people thought English and other arts degrees were staple degrees affording the payoff of 6 figures of student loans.

Saying “Fix the system” doesn’t do much at this point. You are either going to have a plan to drive down actual costs of education in this country or you are going to have a lost generation in terms of financial security. Because the jobs that people take after obtaining the degree that brought about the debt mostly require the degree. There are some degrees that are worthless from a job seeking perspective, but those are the minority of degrees. The job market is thin on well paying jobs that don’t require a degree. And it’s only getting worse as the laborers are gradually phased out in favor of technology. We are a little early now, but 20 years from now we will be having the discussion on whether some people need to work at all to sustain our civilization. It is becoming clear that more and more jobs are being overcome by technology and the majority of new jobs will be in the tech sphere…and require degrees. It’s not something that will be slowing down or reversing.

I have a plan. It's radical and some might say draconian. We need to eliminate student lending . Get rid of it. When you inject tons of free easy money between you the consumer and say a business selling boats or cars , prices for those products go up.

If Universities actually had to compete for students and cash money , then their attention to costs savings and running their institution on a leaner budget would drive tuition and fees down. Imagine UCF charging what the market could bear without financial aid what the costs of college truly would be? Universities don't care about tuition going up 10,000 percent over years because they don't have too. In fact they know there is easy money and students will borrow their souls to get that degree in liberal arts or medieval women's studies . So why should they care? Get rid of financial aid and watch what happens . Initially there would be pain but if kids had to pay cash those fees and stuff would plummet be ayse the market can't bear that.

I also think all schools should be forced to tell students the truth about many of their degree programs. If you want to major in philosophy, well your job opportunities in that field are non-existent. It will cost you $48,000 to get a degree that has little ROI , or return on investment. We suggest you major in philosophy if you are independently wealthy only.

Students are responsible for their debt or at least should be and I think universities need to be more accountable as well. Guess what you don't need to build a state of the art fitness facility with wave pool and tiki huts and water slides. My niece is at Texas Tech and they built a mini water park there and for Ed those costs on students backs with ridiculous fees to pay for it. You go to school to get an education not a vacation. It's dumb crap like that which needs to stop .

Cough...we pay an athletic fee for college as a student

Cough...the campuses look like a resort

Cough....Professor wages are rising faster than inflation

Cough...too much employee overhead

I have a plan. It's radical and some might say draconian. We need to eliminate student lending . Get rid of it. When you inject tons of free easy money between you the consumer and say a business selling boats or cars , prices for those products go up.

If Universities actually had to compete for students and cash money , then their attention to costs savings and running their institution on a leaner budget would drive tuition and fees down. Imagine UCF charging what the market could bear without financial aid what the costs of college truly would be? Universities don't care about tuition going up 10,000 percent over years because they don't have too. In fact they know there is easy money and students will borrow their souls to get that degree in liberal arts or medieval women's studies . So why should they care? Get rid of financial aid and watch what happens . Initially there would be pain but if kids had to pay cash those fees and stuff would plummet be ayse the market can't bear that.

I also think all schools should be forced to tell students the truth about many of their degree programs. If you want to major in philosophy, well your job opportunities in that field are non-existent. It will cost you $48,000 to get a degree that has little ROI , or return on investment. We suggest you major in philosophy if you are independently wealthy only.

Students are responsible for their debt or at least should be and I think universities need to be more accountable as well. Guess what you don't need to build a state of the art fitness facility with wave pool and tiki huts and water slides. My niece is at Texas Tech and they built a mini water park there and for Ed those costs on students backs with ridiculous fees to pay for it. You go to school to get an education not a vacation. It's dumb crap like that which needs to stop .
It would just mean that higher education opportunities would skew towards students from well to do families. It’s currently this way to an extent but would be even more skewed under your proposal. Unless you are suggesting eliminating all college savings programs that parents contribute to as well. A persons opportunity to attend college should be decoupled from their family’s net worth as much as we can.

It would just mean that higher education opportunities would skew towards students from well to do families. It’s currently this way to an extent but would be even more skewed under your proposal. Unless you are suggesting eliminating all college savings programs that parents contribute to as well. A persons opportunity to attend college should be decoupled from their family’s net worth as much as we can.

There is a reason why automobile companies have leases . It's so they can get more money for their products.

I came from a big family and my folks didn't pay a dime for my education. I paid like $15 a credit hour at UCF. I borrowed some but I had this thing called a JOB and worked for $5.50 an hour cleaning aquariums . Minimum wage was $3.25 .

Universities are doing a crappy job controlling costs . Why ? Easy money and no competition. I think getting rid of the student loan program would be the kick in the pants they need. I am not opposed to the Pell grant program but I do think they would charge fair market prices without easy student loans to suck up.

I ask is it fair for these poor kids to borrow $50,000 for a worthless degree then have you and I pick up the tab for their bad choices or is it better they don't go to college and learn a trade, start a business or what have you? You don't need a college degree to sell Teslas or be a realtor .

There is a reason why automobile companies have leases . It's so they can get more money for their products.

I came from a big family and my folks didn't pay a dime for my education. I paid like $15 a credit hour at UCF. I borrowed some but I had this thing called a JOB and worked for $5.50 an hour cleaning aquariums . Minimum wage was $3.25 .

Universities are doing a crappy job controlling costs . Why ? Easy money and no competition. I think getting rid of the student loan program would be the kick in the pants they need. I am not opposed to the Pell grant program but I do think they would charge fair market prices without easy student loans to suck up.

I ask is it fair for these poor kids to borrow $50,000 for a worthless degree then have you and I pick up the tab for their bad choices or is it better they don't go to college and learn a trade, start a business or what have you? You don't need a college degree to sell Teslas or be a realtor .
You and I already subsidize public education. And yes I believe it is in the benefit of society as a whole to do so.

The issue is in the cost of education, not in the fact that we lend money to cover the costs. Removing student lending only deprives poor students from opportunity. It’s great that 40 years ago you survived on a minimum wage going to school (although apparently with loans as well). But the reality is in the current environment with tuition and housing costs, it’s increasingly less feasible.

I have a plan. It's radical and some might say draconian. We need to eliminate student lending . Get rid of it ...
You mean get rid of government in student lending.

Student lending wasn't an issue before government got involved. Private univerisities and banks rode it right to the ultimate, long-term profit margins.

For every problem government tries to fix, there is a great oligarchy waiting to exploit it in ways government cannot keep up fighting.

As always to create a problem ... introduce government.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT