ADVERTISEMENT

Time to Move on From JRP

surfer98

Four-Star Recruit
Nov 30, 2017
It has to be McClain's team for the rest of the season. Let him play, make mistakes, and see if he can grow into a quality QB for the next couple of seasons. I believe starting JRP in the Kansas game started us off badly and we never recovered. JRP has proven he can't stay healthy and needs to stick to baseball.

He has to play in two more games this season to use up his eligibility. Let's say he remains injured the rest of this season. He could then take a medical redshirt and potentially come back next season, which probably means McClain transfers as well because "he'd still be waiting his turn" if that happened.

Those that want to see Plumlee play, only remember the positives and none of the negatives.

Plumlee's highlight this season was beating Boise State. Boise State is 3-3 on the season, with 104th ranked points allowed defense in the nation. They needed a 21 point comeback against 1-5 San Jose State, at home.

He has to play in two more games this season to use up his eligibility. Let's say he remains injured the rest of this season. He could then take a medical redshirt and potentially come back next season, which probably means McClain transfers as well because "he'd still be waiting his turn" if that happened.
Malzahn should be rightfully run out of town if he decided to spend 3 season trying to make Plumlee work for the program.

It has to be McClain's team for the rest of the season. Let him play, make mistakes, and see if he can grow into a quality QB for the next couple of seasons. I believe starting JRP in the Kansas game started us off badly and we never recovered. JRP has proven he can't stay healthy and needs to stick to baseball.
Well, JRP should have never been here (or dealt with early). Timmy is not a D-1 QB either. I wasn't a huge Mikey fan but we should have kept him in hindsight.

Well, JRP should have never been here (or dealt with early). Timmy is not a D-1 QB either. I wasn't a huge Mikey fan but we should have kept him in hindsight.
At this point, if Timmy freaks out again, runs backwards, etc etc, try the 3rd & 4th string QBs. We have nothing to lose. OK is gunna hang 70 on us anyway.

I am not convinced after last game of two things: 1. JRP is healthy enough to play football again in October or November; 2. That we currently have the QB on our roster to make us a highly competitive team even after doing all the adjustments in the 3 phases that are obvious flaws.

Reactions: Knight59
Im kind of blaming Gus offense. It’s not a QB friendly offense unless it’s 1990. There are a few other styles of play that use QB better in 2023 rules. JRP isn’t a great passer so he wouldn’t work no matter what, but I haven’t seen a QB impress me in multiple games in a row in Gus offense yet.

Those that want to see Plumlee play, only remember the positives and none of the negatives.

Plumlee's highlight this season was beating Boise State. Boise State is 3-3 on the season, with 104th ranked points allowed defense in the nation. They needed a 21 point comeback against 1-5 San Jose State, at home.
There’s a lot of issues with Plumlee but he actually played one of his best games against Boise. That game was a colossal shit the bed game from his skill players

If only we had a multi talented rs freshman qb we could really on. Oh that’s right the Alzheimer’s patient ran tommy off too.
Timmy McClain is a 64% passer with 9 touchdowns and 2 interceptions and averages 200 passing yards a game.

Tommy Castellanos is a 57% passer with 10 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and averages 190 yards a game.

Now I don't want to compare Mikey Keene to either.

on top of the leg injures our training staff is probably hiding that he also got concussed in the Boise game. So he is taking all this physical punishment not for a January bowl team but for a mediocre team as a Super Senior. It doesn’t make sense to waste snaps on him , the key to making this season improve is our run defense so why not give Timmy the Program and Coach’s confidence to make his case for 24?

and we know JRP has zero football iq and will run straight at a LB and risk it happening all over again if Gus insists on starting him again.

I humbly disagree. I like what I see in the young man. He can be mobile and can accurately throw the long ball. Yes, he can make back-breaking mistakes but I think given time, he has the chance to be real good. His ceiling is far higher than JRP who has plateaued, to put it lightly.
Yeah, JRP reached his ceiling back at Ole Miss.

It has to be McClain's team for the rest of the season. Let him play, make mistakes, and see if he can grow into a quality QB for the next couple of seasons. I believe starting JRP in the Kansas game started us off badly and we never recovered. JRP has last proven he can't stay healthy and needs to stick to baseball.
I'm not sure man timmy just flipped out last game at points. lost all composure. I just don't know. I do know that neither is a div 1 good qb.

We are wasting our breath. Gus won’t do what’s good for the team. Coaches should not be friends with players. You help 1 player instead of team.

JRP is only effective enough to win us games if he has 100% healthy legs. Anything short of that is a complete waste of time having him out there and not healing. McClain has shown he can make plays in the air and is enough of a running threat as well. Plenty of room for improvement and for the game to slow down for him unlike JRP who is at the end of his career.

JRP is only effective enough to win us games if he has 100% healthy legs. Anything short of that is a complete waste of time having him out there and not healing. McClain has shown he can make plays in the air and is enough of a running threat as well. Plenty of room for improvement and for the game to slow down for him unlike JRP who is at the end of his career.
Right. Timmy’s throwing talent far surpasses that of JRP. I feel like Timmy would have been a good QB in Huepel’s offense because he has the best deep ball we’ve had since Socko. The question will be, can this coaching staff help to shape Timmy’s mental game a bit. Decision making and poise under pressure are certainly lacking. Do I have confidence that the coaching staff can improve this? No, not really

While I am no Plumlee fan, he does give UCF the chance to make a meaningless bowl game and Gus his 12th consecutive winning season.
Not if his ability to run is hindered in any way.....he is a WAY below average QB without being 100% healthy.

And I've been saying this for the last 2 years......we need to figure out how to get a high level transfer in here.

Not if his ability to run is hindered in any way.....he is a WAY below average QB without being 100% healthy.

And I've been saying this for the last 2 years......we need to figure out how to get a high level transfer in here.
Well you know I agree on the transfer quarterback.

Still, Gus did say "You don't lose your job because of injury." That tells me he is coming back, so Gus can explain away the last three losses on playing a backup QB (but not really.)

Gus wants JRP in the lineup so badly he would risk playing him injured. That tells me McClain isn't ready, *may* not be the long-term answer, and that the team and the coaching staff feel better with JRP in that he gives them the best chance to win.

Bringing in transfers all the time hurts your recruiting. I think it's long-term hurt for some short-term gain.

Young qbs who are developing don't want the rug pulled out from under them, or else they'll transfer too, and then you're plugging holes every year.

Still, Gus did say "You don't lose your job because of injury."

They all say that, right up until they start saying "whoever gives us the best chance to win."

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Bringing in transfers all the time hurts your recruiting. I think it's long-term hurt for some short-term gain.

Young qbs who are developing don't want the rug pulled out from under them, or else they'll transfer too, and then you're plugging holes every year.

They all say that, right up until they start saying "whoever gives us the best chance to win."
but for UCF there hasn't been any short-term gain with gus' transfers. just long-term hurt.

You have to hit on at least 2 out of 5 QBs anyway. Not just serviceable but able to win games consistently. We haven’t done that. Playing favorites hurts team more. That’s why our QB room is different every year. Hopefully after JRP leaves he stops with blind loyalty. I doubt he does though.

Still, Gus did say "You don't lose your job because of injury." That tells me he is coming back, so Gus can explain away the last three losses on playing a backup QB (but not really.)

Gus wants JRP in the lineup so badly he would risk playing him injured. That tells me McClain isn't ready, *may* not be the long-term answer, and that the team and the coaching staff feel better with JRP in that he gives them the best chance to win.
Oh, he's definitely coming back and Timmy may not be the long term answer. But I'm not sure the team necessarily feels better with JRP but Gus certainly does.

I believe one fair criticism (and it's a big one) is he tricked us into thinking he would be actually throwing the ball downfield. You can't do this with only 2 or 3 WR formations and having one of your WR running behind the line of scrimmage for half of their plays :)

I was fooled and other than the tackling of our team this has been my biggest letdown.

I believe one fair criticism (and it's a big one) is he tricked us into thinking he would be actually throwing the ball downfield. You can't do this with only 2 or 3 WR formations and having one of your WR running behind the line of scrimmage for half of their plays :)

I was fooled and other than the tackling of our team this has been my biggest letdown.

100%. This is one of the biggest offensive issues we have. Why do we constantly have to have receivers in motion through the backfield? By the second half I’m guessing they’re pretty tired so it affects their overall route running explosiveness. Also, why don’t we ever have a running back sneaking out of the backfield for those hot reads when the QB is in trouble? Gus has literally installed a run first, high school offensive scheme.

Timmy McClain is a 64% passer with 9 touchdowns and 2 interceptions and averages 200 passing yards a game.

Tommy Castellanos is a 57% passer with 10 touchdowns and 5 interceptions and averages 190 yards a game.

Now I don't want to compare Mikey Keene to either.
How many yards a game does Tommy run for vs Timmy? That is critical for a Gus offense. To me Tommy is a much better runner but Timmy has a better deep ball.

How many yards a game does Tommy run for vs Timmy? That is critical for a Gus offense. To me Tommy is a much better runner but Timmy has a better deep ball.
I think Timmy can run if they let him.

Oh, he's definitely coming back and Timmy may not be the long term answer. But I'm not sure the team necessarily feels better with JRP but Gus certainly does.
JRP needs to hang up the football cleats and Gus needs to come into the current decade. At his physical best, JRP isn’t capable of being a top QB in the Big XII. He can’t pass and he damn sure can’t read coverages. We need a QB that’s bigger than 5’11 and 190. If Gus somehow figures out how to bring him back Knight Nation should explode.

Reactions: Yaes
100%. This is one of the biggest offensive issues we have. Why do we constantly have to have receivers in motion through the backfield? By the second half I’m guessing they’re pretty tired so it affects their overall route running explosiveness. Also, why don’t we ever have a running back sneaking out of the backfield for those hot reads when the QB is in trouble? Gus has literally installed a run first, high school offensive scheme.
I believe for Gus' longevity he needs to fully assume the role of HC (he's a great point person for the program) and hire the appropriate people to run his offense. He pretty much seems to have a hands off approach for the defense and special teams. It's okay if he wants to run a RPO offense but the trick plays and motion plays need to take a back seat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT