ADVERTISEMENT

Timmy mcclain qb1

Better vision
Better deep ball
Quicker release
Eyes downfield

Give me timmy for qb1
IMO Q played very tonight and will hopefully continue to get better with more experience. There was very little dropoff with him in there tonight as compared to JRP. I feel much better after watching him play.

Keene and Castellanos has put up equal or better performances against P5 teams and Malzahn wanted Plumlee over them.
Keene averaged 169 yards of offense. TC was crazy out of his depth last year. Would have liked to keep them, but they weren’t the better option over a healthy JRP, especially a healthy JRP this year.

Keene averaged 169 yards of offense. TC was crazy out of his depth last year. Would have liked to keep them, but they weren’t the better option over a healthy JRP, especially a healthy JRP this year.
Disagree about Mikey.

Disagree about Mikey.
Mikey was a game manager at best. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Him in at qb was brutal offense to watch. So I’ll agree to disagree. Another weird affinity a lot on this forum have.

Reactions: beelit47
Mikey was a game manager at best. The proof is in the pudding as they say. Him in at qb was brutal offense to watch. So I’ll agree to disagree. Another weird affinity a lot on this forum have.
And as they say, that's what makes the world go round.

Mikey was a game manager at best. ... Another weird affinity a lot on this forum have.

I like quarterbacks that finish the games they start. I like quarterbacks who don't throw an interception in each the last three or four games they played. I like quarterbacks who lead game-winning drives.

UCF is averaging over 600 yards a game. Is the running game slipping without JRP? No doubt. He was the team's leading rusher. I am the biggest JRP hater out there. I wanted Spencer Sanders, Haynes King, Casey Thompson, anybody ... but JRP.

I will admit he has played better this year. I am not saying Q is the answer long term. Not yet anyway, but he may be.

Reactions: Knight59 and Yaes
I thought the kid played well tonight when he calmed down, but he would have had 2-3 turnovers against an average FBS defense.

He has the talent to be a great QB, but he needs more successful game reps against higher caliber defenses for me to agree he is QB1 for the rest of the season.

I liked what I saw a lot and stats speak for themselves, but yeah bla bla bla yeah fcs team. Next game will really speak to where his game is it and if he should be QB1. My thoughts: If a convincing performance + dub, no question he should be QB1.

A few of his missed throws looked like not being on the same page with his receivers, which is understandable.

He has a stronger arm than Keene, and when he runs you don’t feel like he’s going to get crushed by the first defender. Keene looked so small out there. I feel more comfortable with TMC.

Biggest stat — zero turnovers. JRP has a 17:12 TD-INT ratio at UCF, with several lost fumbles. This season he has 3 TD, 4 INT and a lost fumble in 2 games. That catches up to you.

It was FCS and TMC had a lot of rust to shake off. Next week will tell the tale.

I just went back and watched the final two drives of the game. Dylan Rysk looks like he has potential. Basically just handing the ball off, threw a couple times, but game managed well. Granted against late game 'Nova, but potential. I liked what I saw from Timmy. Great to get a warm up game heading into conference play.

I watched the ending of the K-State-Mizzou game. KState was in a hostile environment and lost on a 60 yard walk off field goal. It reminded me a lot of the Boise/UCF game last week. Can UCF beat KState at their place? Eh....gonna be interesting and hoping so. Can we get some of the Primetime Neon Deion magic sprinkled into UCF's offense please.... :p

Reactions: connerito
Very good start, even considering the competition. Read the field VERY well, was very patient in the pocket.

Needs to learn to square up his body when throwing on the run. Was a bit slower foot speed wise than I expected. JRP would have rushed for like 200 yards last night.

Watching our game and Fresno back to back, obvious why Gus was more than OK letting Mikey walk, but this move suits Mikey better anyway.

Jrp has improved and is still a threat. However, against better defenses he is a 1-read qb who takes off running at first sign of pressure. TM showed he is going to look downfield for his threats to come open.

Agree. MK can be successful when protected. Without protection he is abyssmally slow and has a very slow release

Jrp has improved and is still a threat. However, against better defenses he is a 1-read qb who takes off running at first sign of pressure. TM showed he is going to look downfield for his threats to come open.
Agreed, he goes through his progressions and doesn't lock in or stare down his WR's

Can UCF beat KState at their place?

K-State has given up 150 rushing yards in three outings combined. Q will have to have another 300+ passing yard performance for UCF to have a chance.
Read the field VERY well, was very patient in the pocket.

Needs to learn to square up his body when throwing on the run. Was a bit slower foot speed wise than I expected.

I saw the same mistakes out of Q at USF: Sailing high throws, forcing throws into coverage, making two reads before taking off, thinking he is faster than he really is, not setting his feet (especially on the quick screen throws), not being able to handle pressure directly in his face (took a sack on a delayed middle blitz), not carrying out his fakes, etc.

Fortunately, all the positives are still there too.

I will tell you this now....

Q will have to ad lib (i.e., play backyard football) to make plays at times against K-State. Gus will have to "turn him loose" to win.

Last edited:
If therer is a major problem in the passing game, it's with the receivers. None of them are really dynamic and Griffin has some problems with securing the ball and using his hands. Hudson looks fine.

If therer is a major problem in the passing game, it's with the receivers. None of them are really dynamic and Griffin has some problems with securing the ball and using his hands. Hudson looks fine.
and JRP doesn’t help them with how how hard and high he throws

Even his best game at UCF vs Boise that first red zone interception was high even if the play was still there to be made. He doesn’t know how to
change speeds and throw w touch.

Timmy looks like a more traditional dual threat QB, JRP is chaotic ..an amazing athlete that makes plays but turns the ball over. You can’t compete for a conference championship turning the ball over.

Mikey was tough to watch running Gus' offense. He was never cut out to run it, and yet still managed to win.

That was my favorite piece of TM's game last night. He went through progressions, sometimes all of them. JRP will just really never do this.

I think what you mean is we're missing the knockout punch speed at WR. I agree with that. The good news is KH and JB are great route runners and have good frames. They're not the fastest but they have quickness and play physical. We get X in the mix, and then hopefully Pittman working the middle of the field, we have a very dangerous group here.

K-State has given up 150 rushing yards in three outings combined. Q will have to have another 300+ passing yard performance for UCF to have a chance.

I saw the same mistakes out of Q at USF: Sailing high throws, forcing throws into coverage, making two reads before taking off, thinking he is faster than he really is, not setting his feet (especially on the quick screen throws), not being able to handle pressure directly in his face (took a sack on a delayed middle blitz), not carrying out his fakes, etc.

Fortunately, all the positives are still there too.

I will tell you this now....

Q will have to ad lib (i.e., play backyard football) to make plays at times against K-State. Gus will have to "turn him loose" to win.
Lol @ turn him loose.

TMc might be one of the better qb2’s (albeit more unknown), outside of maybe Spencer Sanders. Especially for this type offense just seems to fit his skill set so well. He’s a qb who could start and excel on a lot of teams. Super glad he transferred and settled into qb2 with the potential to be qb1 next year with his 2 years eligibility. Want to beat the Gators so bad next year and I think he is perfect transition instead of a brand new qb with no experience.

Miami would be absolutely screwed if Tyler Van Dimes went down.

Reactions: KnightLife1
Miami would be absolutely screwed if Tyler Van Dimes went down.

Oh I am sure the u will be fine, just fine. It will turn to Jacurri Brown, who was outclassed head-to-head by UCF's fourth string backup Xavier Williams, who @LoboCane loved to poke so much fun about.

Boys trying to hype a mid QB after a win over an FCS team from Pennsylvania. Can’t even make it up.

Can still make plays with his feet but provides a little more in the passing game already, I think. If there's some improvement to be expected then that's icing on the cake. Excited to see Timmy lead this offense against Big12 competition.

Reactions: knightraveler
It's not a coincidence that Hudson and Baker both had season highs in receptions and yards against Nova, and both had their first TDs of the season (Kobe's called back). Yes, the competition wasn't great, but would they have gotten that many touches with JRP running all over the field?

A lot of QB's struggle with the delayed blitz straight up the middle. Even NFL QB's get caught off guard. Kind of like in basketball when you drive straight at the defender on a layup attempt instead of trying to go around them and giving them angles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT