ADVERTISEMENT

Toughest games in 2017

IMO, a lot of the open-field arm tackling comes from the DB's/LB's taking bad angles to the ball carrier. This doesn't explain all of the arm tackling, but it does explain some. I've seen too many plays where the DB/LB arrives late because of a bad angle and ends up diving and coming up with air.

The most obvious example that comes to mind was that way-too-easy 66-yard waltz to the end zone by Pollard in the fourth quarter last weekend. That was embarrassing.

Chins didn't do a very good job, apparently, at covering this (shocker), because we obviously have a lot of raw talent on the defensive side. I'll bet coach Shannon knows all about proper angles. Hopefully he gets the chance to provide a refresher course on this (if he's allowed to) before the Peach. Kerryon Johnson will run all over us all day long unless some kind of fix is put in place.

(And then there's the part about the DB's, when covering capable opposing WR's, having their backs to the opposing QB a lot as the ball arrives -- Hughes is the best at not doing this, but even he had his back to the play on one of the Miller TD's in the 4th -- but that's another story. There is an awful lot of WR talent in the AAC...and I also freely admit that this particular middle-aged slug has an awfully nice freaking view from the cheap seats.)

IMO, a lot of the open-field arm tackling comes from the DB's/LB's taking bad angles to the ball carrier. This doesn't explain all of the arm tackling, but it does explain some. I've seen too many plays where the DB/LB arrives late because of a bad angle and ends up diving and coming up with air.

The most obvious example that comes to mind was that way-too-easy 66-yard waltz to the end zone by Pollard in the fourth quarter last weekend. That was embarrassing.

Chins didn't do a very good job, apparently, at covering this (shocker), because we obviously have a lot of raw talent on the defensive side. I'll bet coach Shannon knows all about proper angles. Hopefully he gets the chance to provide a refresher course on this (if he's allowed to) before the Peach. Kerryon Johnson will run all over us all day long unless some kind of fix is put in place.

(And then there's the part about the DB's, when covering capable opposing WR's, having their backs to the opposing QB a lot as the ball arrives -- Hughes is the best at not doing this, but even he had his back to the play on one of the Miller TD's in the 4th -- but that's another story. There is an awful lot of WR talent in the AAC...and I also freely admit that this particular middle-aged slug has an awfully nice freaking view from the cheap seats.)
You want the DBs to backpedal when covering receivers?

You want the DBs to backpedal when covering receivers?
Well, no. Obviously, this is going to happen. It just seemed to happen a lot more often against usf and Memphis...but we did get faked out of our shoes a lot, and the WR talent was at a higher level, so...

But feel free to disregard...I freely admit that I'm talking out of my ass. Sometimes I just like talking out of my ass.

Maybe the arm tackling was just having a bad DC? Nothing changed this year either. Except scoring 50 points per game anyway.
Wow you really dug on this one. Kudos for having way too much time.

Maybe it was bad DC, maybe it was 11 straight games with no rest and a rumor mill 24/7. Who knows. Chin had good games and horrible games. Also have to give it up to the fact Memphis has 3-4 nfl skill players and Mike Norvell who's a hell of an offensive mind.

Wow you really dug on this one. Kudos for having way too much time.

Maybe it was bad DC, maybe it was 11 straight games with no rest and a rumor mill 24/7. Who knows. Chin had good games and horrible games. Also have to give it up to the fact Memphis has 3-4 nfl skill players and Mike Norvell who's a hell of an offensive mind.
I was looking for something else and this popped up.

Reactions: Miltonian
Perhaps i'm wrong but i'd like to suggest that defense was slow to get physical too. Opposing offense is flying out the gate with big runs and our defense is reacting like theyre afraid to get injured, still walking around with aches and pains, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT